Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Question about TCCD's - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hey guys
Just a quick question. I can get my hands on a Denon 2500F. I know its an old player, but im curious. First off the Time codes are in mp3 formats, i was wondering if i can covert them to wav will i be able to use the player with the time code cd's and VDJ. The other question i have, is as you may know, that model dosent offer a scratch feature, will that cause a prob, as i think i read it needs to be able to scratch. Thnx a bunch guys :)

Posted Fri 08 Apr 05 @ 4:41 am
first of all, its DOWNLOADED as mp3, but it have to be WAVE file at cd
In other words, burned as a regular audio cd (most burner software will convert from mp3 to wave on the fly)

second, the timecode is a signal that will tell the software what you are doing at the cd player.
And if there is no scratch, than there is no "scratch signal code" sent :)
So, it will work just fine :)
You will be able to use the features that the cd player offers

hope that helps

Posted Fri 08 Apr 05 @ 4:54 am
I have (for spare) also a Denon2500f player. Some things work ok, like play, Cue, pitch bend. What isn't working is setting a cue point. When setting a cue point with the Denons the player is playing a small part after the selected point in a loop. VDJ will get completely lost.
Probably it will be better using cd players which emulates a turntable, like the Pioneer CDJ 1000/800, The Denon S3000/S5000 or the Numark CDX, but I dont know for sure. You could ask dj-in-norway, because he uses the Pioneer CDJ1000s
Ewout

Posted Fri 08 Apr 05 @ 1:11 pm
Never tried the denon..
But works well with Pioneer.
Maybe Sandstorm is correct, because the Pioneer player do emulates a turntable

Posted Fri 08 Apr 05 @ 2:18 pm
paisanPRO InfinityMember since 2004
All of the cue, and loop functions work on the Denon s5000.

Posted Fri 08 Apr 05 @ 2:56 pm
wher can registered users download the mp3 time code?

Posted Sun 10 Apr 05 @ 1:36 am

Posted Sun 10 Apr 05 @ 4:24 am
cool thanks alot guys. looks like i will give it a shot, and let ya guys know

Posted Sun 10 Apr 05 @ 9:08 am
What a NEAT IDEA! I had to run to work and try it

Background:
========
Tried it with a PCI and USB sound card (Hercules DJ Console and CMedia PCI sound card) with Time coded CD and $400 Denon professional DN-S1000 CD deck. NOTE: I had 100% TCV signal in the vdj configuration

Details:
=====
a) The loops sort of worked, but 'scratched' back when it would jump to the beginning of the loop. not usable!

b) Skip forward and back worked great, with a 1 second delay

c) The scratch 'kind of' worked but was too slow to respond. not usable!

d) The cue/play button worked but someimes would put some scratch noise at the beginning of the play. usable for very basic functions

e) The pitch bend worked great usable for light beat matching only

f) The pitch slider worked great (you must have master tempo turned OFF) usable for light beat matching only

g) Brake (built into Denon deck) worked great! Some noise artifacts when getting down to the slowest speed but sounded ok!

h) Flanger, echo loop effects built into denon deck: did not work, I would NOT expect these to to work. It messes with the TCV signal. Do not use.

i) reverse built into denon deck: worked with a 1 second delay. Not bad.

Verdict:
=====
Too much Latency, but cool idea -- Keep working on it

This is an interesting idea to be able to use a professional interface with software -- someone needs to make a box to convert SPDIF to USB so that it works with NO latency and with ANY CD deck with SPDIF (RCA) or Toslink (optical) out.

WirelessDJ

Posted Sun 10 Apr 05 @ 6:48 pm
Wireless DJ- you need to tweak things a little bit, perhaps turn up the silence a little, and set your latency on the highest. All the things that you said "kinda worked" work perfectly for me with no flaw.You also may be getting this because you have the cheapest Denon unit. This unit is not designed to scratch. It's capable of it, but not designed to. If I were you, I'd return the 1000s and get a pair of 3000s. Everything works MUCH better on them, and they are a professional unit. I started using TCCDs with 2 DN-S3000s and VDJ professionally at the club for the reason that it works professionally. Its not just a "cool idea" - you need the right equipment to take full advantage.

Posted Sun 10 Apr 05 @ 7:02 pm
>Wireless DJ- you need to tweak things a little bit, perhaps turn up the silence a little,
What does the 'silence' do?

>and set your latency on the highest.
what latency? I have no adjustment for any of the sound cards.

>All the things that you said "kinda worked" work perfectly for me with no flaw.
well then, some more testing is warranted

>You also may be getting this because you have the cheapest Denon unit.
It is not the denon. Even the basic start/stop functions were very slow (high latency). I am not concerned heavily about scratching. More likely the sound card(s)

>This unit is not designed to scratch. It's capable of it, but not designed to.
Agreed, the s1000 is not the best 'scratcher' out there but at least it has something compared to the Pioneer CDJ-200. They work pretty damn good compared to any PC based scratching (and I owned the XP10's)

>If I were you, I'd return the 1000s and get a pair of 3000s.
No way! I paid $339 for these and I am very happy with the price, quality and features. Small, feature packed, play mp3's work great!!
http://axledentaldj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2766#2766

It must be the sound card? what are you using? What do you recommend for a LAPTOP sound card? I tested it on both laptop and desktop.

WirelessDJ

Posted Sun 10 Apr 05 @ 7:07 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2004
You need an Asio sound card to use the TCCDs right!

first try your dj console in asio mode.

Then you will have to buy an asio sound card like "maya44usb" or "maya44pci mkII"

Posted Sun 10 Apr 05 @ 7:27 pm
Wireless:
Technical is right, hook those cd players to a ASIO card and youre latency will drop to 2-5 ms. With some minor tweaking it will also fix all of the cue and loop problems you are experiencing. The only feature on my Denons that does not work with VDJ is Alpha Track.

Read this thread it will take you through everything that I experienced setting up my TC CD

http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=10951&page=1

Posted Sun 10 Apr 05 @ 8:25 pm
Has ANYONE ever been able to use the Hercules as a INPUT device for Time Coded CD?

I can't figure out how to get this HDC to use the line in ??

Posted Sun 10 Apr 05 @ 11:14 pm
BenjwahHome userMember since 2005
I am also qurious about this....can you use the hercules controler connected to the denon 3000s? Would it be possible to hook up one denon 3000 to the hercules and test it out since I dont have a asio sound card yet? also, which sound cards would you guys recomend for hooking up 2 denon 3000's?

Posted Sun 10 Apr 05 @ 11:45 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2004
maya44usb for TCCDs or maya44pci

Posted Sun 10 Apr 05 @ 11:57 pm
I have the hercules working with ASIO but still have problems...

a) With NO sound playing: it skips all over the place and scratches itself. Tried playing with the silence slider it helps but stiil does not fix it. I know it is NOT the Denon CD, for I can totally unplug the CD player and VDJ still has a mind of it's own -- it sits there doing it's own thing ?!

b) if the silence slider is all the way to the left, go nutz and starts spinning by itself, if I move it slightly in, it doesnt spin like crazy but If I stop the deck with NO sound, it scratches it self!?

Is there anyone out there using the maya 44 USB with TCD with 100% success? Please let me know before I plop down $115

WirelessDJ

Posted Mon 11 Apr 05 @ 12:29 am
wireless,
It still sounds like the silence slider needs to be increased some more, or you have the CD recorded as a MP3 instead of a WAV file. Both of those gave me the exact same symptoms you are experiencing. I have mine working with 100% Time code and no problems, but it took me a good 4-5 days of tinkering and asking for help on the boards to get it all dialed in. I posted a link a couple up from here that is thread of what I went through setting mine up.

If you meed more help don't hesitate to check my blog and email me. If you live in the US I'll send you my phone and help you out over the phone.

Paisan

Posted Mon 11 Apr 05 @ 2:17 am
It must be the Hercules sound card then

Posted Mon 11 Apr 05 @ 2:34 am
Wireless,
The silence slider gets rid of background noise. If the Cd stops and there is too much background noise the program attempts to sync the song to the noise instead of the Time Code. That's why it takes off like a freight train if you stop the CD. Is there still a signal visible if you stop or unplug the cd? If so thats noise and the silence should fix it.

I'm just trying to figure out your problem using basic radar timing principles.
Paisan

PS I came back in and reread wireless's posts and did a major edit of this post...

Posted Mon 11 Apr 05 @ 3:41 am
95%