Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: File Management

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

What do you guys use for your file/ folder structure?
Ive got about 5000 tracks just listed A-Z By artist which is great
when someone asks have you got...????
But not so Great (mobile DJing) when your trying to sort by genre.
Do You Use the Comments Feild or can you do a global serch Though folders and sub folders?

Posted Wed 23 Mar 05 @ 10:36 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
For me genre is most important, so folders are based on this.
Searching for artst or title is easy within the program if artst is included in the filenames.
(like artst - title.mp3)

Posted Wed 23 Mar 05 @ 12:00 pm
I have about 20.000 active songs in VDJ

I make subfolders based by genre... (because VDJ search field can find any song, if i want to find an artist)

Like this :
POP/Chart (main folder)
- 2005 (subfolders)
- 80's
- 90's

RnB/HipHop
- Old school
- New school
- Slow Jams

House
- Disco & funky house
- Hard house
- Commercial & anthems

etc etc etc

I find this to work very well....

Say I have a 80's gig, I go to my 80's folder, have all the music I need sorted there...etc

Posted Wed 23 Mar 05 @ 3:03 pm
I have about 15,000 songs and I do not sort them in any way, other than the way they are stored on disk. I have the same exact music collection replicated to a couple of places and sync'd up daily so I have to store them in a way that makes sense for all systems. Nothing illegal here but the same collection is on my file server (master copy), car stereo (Rio Empeg 60GB), Virtual DJ system, External USB drive (work computer) and my backup laptop.

The root of my mp3 folder has folders like 0, 1, 2, 3,... up to 9 and then a -z. That's 36 root folders. Then each disk has it's own folder inside of one of those, depending on who the "Disk Artist" is. If it's a compilation, it's either stored in the artists folder or /mp3/v/Various Artists if there is no disk artist. Sasha CDs or DJ compilations go into their artists folder, like this:

/mp3/initial/Artist/Album/
/mp3/s/Sasha/013 Ibiza Global Underground (Disk 1)/

and the songs would be stored in this folder like this:
01 - Raff & Freddy - Deep Progress.mp3
02 - MRE - The Deep Edge.mp3
03 - Resistance D. - Feel High (Humate Mix).mp3
04 - Dominica - Real Time.mp3
05 - Medway - The Baseline Track.mp3
06 - Sander Kleinenberg - My Lexicon.mp3
07 - Orbital - Nothing Left (Breeder Remix).mp3
08 - Christian Smith & Selway - Move!.mp3
09 - Intec Jimpy - Talkin (Tarrantella vs. Redanka Remix, Featuring Sarah).mp3
10 - Space Manoeuvres - Stage One (Pariah Remix).mp3
11 - Sander Kleinenberg - Sacred.mp3
12 - Natious - Amber.mp3

So each physical CD is stored in it's entirety, in one folder. This way, my PromoOnly CDs dont get spread all over the place with the Hip-Hop Songs going in this folder, the Pop songs going in another folder and the Rock songs going in yet another folder. Each disk is in it's own folder!

Since the PromoOnly disks have no "disk artist", they are stored in /mp3/v/Various Artists/, like this:

/mp3/v/Various Artists/2005-01, Promo Only, Mainstream Radio
/mp3/v/Various Artists/2005-01, Promo Only, Urban Club (Disk 1)
/mp3/v/Various Artists/2005-01, Promo Only, Urban Club (Disk 2)
/mp3/v/Various Artists/2005-01, Promo Only, Urban Radio (Disk 1)
/mp3/v/Various Artists/2005-01, Promo Only, Urban Radio (Disk 2)
/mp3/v/Various Artists/2005-02, Promo Only, Mainstream Radio

... and so on. The year comes first so they sort nicely. I have these from 1996 until present so there are a LOT of them. Song names are stored with the following format:

trackNum - Artist - SongTitle.mp3

Like so:
ls "/vol01/mp3/v/Various Artists/2005-01, Promo Only, Urban Club (Disk 1)"
01 - Lumberjacks - Turn Your Whiip.mp3
02 - Chingy - Don't Worry (Featuring Janet Jackson).mp3
03 - Tru - Where U From.mp3
04 - Sly Boogy - If You Got Crew (Featuring Jagged Edge).mp3
05 - Chingy - Balla Baby (Featuring Lil' Flip & Boozie Of The G.I.B.).mp3
06 - Beatnuts - Confused Rappers (Featuring Rahzel).mp3
07 - Red Cafe - All Night Long.mp3
08 - 50 Cent - Disco Inferno.mp3
09 - The Game - How We Do (Featuring 50 Cent).mp3
10 - Mario - Let Me Love You (Featuring Jadakiss & T.I.).mp3
11 - Anthony Hamilton - Cornbread, Fish & Collard Greens.mp3
12 - Lumberjacks - Puttin On 2 Nite.mp3
13 - Rupee - Tempted To Touch (Featuring Daddy Yankee).mp3
14 - Usher - Caught Up (Featuring Fabolous).mp3

I've found this storage method to be very effective and rock solid. I guess I don't really ever have a need to have all my 80's music in a folder or all my hip-hop music in one folder. If I did need these I would probably generate symlinked folders according to the id3v2 tags, but there are many problems with this too, since symlinks don't work the same on all my systems.

So when I am working in virtual DJ, I use a keyboard mapping of the letter "j", which takes me to the database folder and puts the cursor into the search field. So without touching the mouse, i press j and start typing what I am looking for. Very fast. This is just like winamp j feature. Very fast typedown, even through 15,000 songs. The arrow keys on my XP10s then let me load it into a deck. I can't really see a better way for locating music.

If I needed all my 80's songs in one place though, I would probably have to manually make a playlist.

Posted Thu 24 Mar 05 @ 12:38 am
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Great thinking anewsome... what do you program "j" to shortcut to? I think thats a great idea.

I don't think its necessary for folder structures. If you have playlists that would be fine.

Posted Mon 04 Apr 05 @ 3:01 am
At the moment I have just over 5000 mp3s all encoded using lame @ 256 CBR for compatibility with all systems and increased accuraccy from my old pcdj days. ID3 tagged v1 & v2.3 using ID3 TAG-IT 3
The file Names are like this.....
MADONNA - Like a Prayer
JENNIFER LOPEZ (FABOLOUS) - Get Right (Video Remix)
NELLY (TIM McGRAW) - Over and Over

They are all placed in one big folder, which is the only way to do a universal search for requeasts either by ARTIST or TITLE, this ability and its ease and speed are great features of VDJ!!!!

What is Difficult is remembering all my Genres eg Disco, Reggae it would be good to be able to group songs together by Genre and era.
Ive thought of using the comments feild to code in this information and make it searchable to.

anyone else done this or got any other ideas???

Posted Mon 04 Apr 05 @ 10:54 am
I group songs in genres... as said ;)

It makes it easy for me to transfer to another genre at gigs...
Or to go to a gig with a theme (say 80's night) and have that folder ready for me ;)

If I want to use all my music, I just use the database icon at top, and its all there ;)

Posted Mon 04 Apr 05 @ 3:57 pm
Nitebeatdisco, you can put your songs into folders like i describe above and then do searches on anything (except genre). With vdj I can do a search on song title, artist name, disk name, featuring, etc. These are usually flexible enough for me to find what I need fast!

Posted Mon 04 Apr 05 @ 6:03 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
All great suggestions above. I use an MP3 Cataloger that I can do searches with on all the things listed in this thread using either the ID3 v1 or v2 fields.

$29.95 USD for the Pro Version - http://www.wizetech.com/amc/index.shtml

Also, I can drag-and-drop my files from the Cataloger right into VDJ's playlist or to a deck.

cstoll

Posted Mon 04 Apr 05 @ 7:29 pm
I use also a catalog program, which is free to use: http://mac.sourceforge.net/
As folder structure I use

For complete albums:
mp3cd0001
- Artist name - Album name
- Tracknumber - Artist name - Track name (Version).mp3

for tracks
mp3cd0001
- Genre
- Artist name - Track name (Version).mp3

I have this structure both on cd and external hard drive.

Then I have some genre folders like
70s Disco
80s Disco
Dance

These folders only contain shortcuts to the filestructure mentioned above
Ewout

Posted Mon 04 Apr 05 @ 9:31 pm
Thanks Guys for your feedback i'm gonna keep one master folder with everything in it then create sub folders for genres, eras, specility, be a lotta work but worth it.

Posted Sat 09 Apr 05 @ 1:50 am
DJ ELPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I have OO's, 90's, 80's, 70's folders. Within each folder, I have the following sub-folders: Dance/House/Techno; Soul/R&B; Pop; Jazz; Reggae; Rock; Hip Hop/Rap. I have a one latin folder that contains all my latin music, regardless of year. I have sub-folders in that one for the different styles of latin, such as Salsa/Tropical; Reggaeton; Bolero (ballads); Latin Pop, etc. The files are named, thusly:

Does anyone use or knows of a software that can help me import the vdj database (xml) so that I can have the BPM info along with the artist/song/length, etc? It's easy enough to create lists, but I would have to enter the BPM information manually. Very time-consuming.

Posted Tue 15 Nov 05 @ 7:39 am
anewsome, that's a great idea about the "J". How do you do that whole mapping thing? I hate that I have to scroll to the database to do a search. I am a little slow, so start at the beginning. Even then it may be over my head, but I can get someone to help me.

Posted Tue 15 Nov 05 @ 8:14 am
anewsome, hit me back with that "j" thing. Or anybody for that matter.

Posted Thu 17 Nov 05 @ 7:56 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
The "j" thing is only a keyboard shortcut. You can change this in Config->Keyboard Shortcuts. Select Add or change and then from the left column select browser and from the right column select search. It directs you to Database Folder where all your music is stored (af course you have to add music in your library first).

I also use folders by genre, but i think that folders by artist/cd album is much more correct. I would use it if only i could "export" my playlists to a folder (if U know what i mean). I've allready asked for it several times, i think it would help.

Posted Sun 20 Nov 05 @ 1:18 am
johansPRO InfinityMember since 2005
How do I do it:
Make for each CD a folder (according CD name) and rip them into this folder.
Then calculate the BPM via mixmeister (your tag is automatically updated)
Calculation of BPM via mixmeister has two reasons:
- to verify the accuracy of the BPM calculated by VDJ ( in this is 3.1 is very good)
- to add it in the comment field, then you can search on it -> type 125 and I have all songs of 125 BPM and around (a search on BPM via the BPM field from VDJ is not possible, you can only sort them asc or desc)

if you RIP via freeware program CDEX, the tag info of year, track, genre is mostly already done automatically)
If not, you can add this info manually via a tag editor, there are plenty of these programs on the planet

Next step is using VDJ database updater program, via this you can add into the comment field the genre, year, tracknumber, BPM, KBPS ...

Once this is done, you can use the search function in VDJ to find all this information.

Works fine for me.

Note: I'm working on an improved version of VDJ updater program as I found some bugs in it.
Release time is hard to say as I'm just changing from JOB and I need to study a lot.

Posted Sun 20 Nov 05 @ 11:10 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Johans,

Your software is great, I hope we can have this info directly from th IDVtags of our songs also display (and with the option of search and filter) in VirtualDJ.

I whish you the best in your new job!.

Posted Sun 20 Nov 05 @ 8:48 pm
I use file names like this:

artist (feat.,vs.,&...) - song (version).(mp3,ogg...)

so for eg.:

Robbie Rivera feat. Billy Paul W - Sex (Filterheadz Remix).mp3

---

And for folders eg.:

- Breakbeat
+ 2 Step
+ R&B
+ Rap
+ Reggaton
- House
+ Anthem
+ Classic
+ Club
+ Disco
+ Eurodance
+ Nu Italo Disco
+ Progressive
+ Tech
+ Tribal

...etc...

I think alphabetical folder-sorting is pointless with Virtual DJ search. When someone wants to play
something, I just fin it. ;-)

C ya !

Posted Sun 20 Nov 05 @ 10:44 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)