Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Timecode CDs- Do they work?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I wanted to know if anybody can vouch for Time Code CDs. I wanted to know just how well they work. Also- are there any advantages/disadvantages to Time code cds? Do you think Timecoded CDs or Timecoded Vinyl is better?

Posted Wed 16 Mar 05 @ 9:39 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
I think it's the same thing. Only the support changes. Another advantage of the CD is you can change the length of the timecode

Posted Wed 16 Mar 05 @ 11:13 pm
PANOSVPRO InfinityMember since 2007
exact same thing, about the difference now....just the same comparison vinyl vs cd...
personally vinyl!!

Posted Wed 16 Mar 05 @ 11:26 pm
tunicPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi,

I have got TCCDs - in fact, I purchased CDJs with the intention of using them for TCCD rather than XP10s (I wasn't allowed to buy decks as my girlfriend felt they'd take too much space up - girl logic). I went for CDJs over XP10s purely to be more versatile, and to learn to DJ properly without the visual aids.

However, I have to be honest, I am more than a little disappointed by them. It all kinda of makes sense now when I think about it but time code CDs in principle aren't going to be that great because of the latency (even with my Maya44USB in fastest mode). The main issue is when drop a beat from cue because at that point the CD output is silent (when cue'ed) so no position information is sent to Virtual DJ until Play is hit. This means things like the wave form are incorrect until play is hit. This is probably less of an issue with TC Vinyl because you'd just push/pull the beat whilst cueing to re-sync it with VDJ after moving the needle. I've found there to be a bit of a delay when adjusting pitch too, and especially when using the jog wheel to adjust a beat. This may just be me not giving it enough of a chance but I've now reverted to my CDJs normally as they feel more responsive.

*However* I still use VDJ to play around with and think it is the way forward. I just want to learn to DJ with my ears first. I also believe mp3's and computers are the way forward. Part of me is upset I didn't get XP10s now but then again, I wouldn't have the confidence to mess around on CDJs probably if I had. I also bought a Vestax mixer with 5 line inputs so I can easily switch between CDJs and Maya44USB on the inputs.

Posted Thu 17 Mar 05 @ 1:30 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
tunic:
Your reply was very helpful to me, and I agree with what your saying.
I started useing atomix on a desktop as a cheap and basic way to mix, when I ran into money I went out and bought a laptop and upgraded to virtual dj, I then bought a Vestax mixer and hercules controller..

Right now I'm considering where to invest because hercules isn't ideal, whether to wait for future controllers or buy some cd players (with the intention to use timecode), There hasn't been many people coming forward with feedback on the timecode cd's.., so thankyou for yours!,

it's a shame because there are some very nice looking cd players on the market now, and controllers aren't developing as fast as i'd like, so now i'm just going to have to be patient..., and wait til I run into money again :)..

Posted Thu 17 Mar 05 @ 3:06 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Search for my posts for Cd timecode and cdj-100.
There are problems and possible solutions

Posted Thu 17 Mar 05 @ 4:17 pm
tunicPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Hi,

I should have said actually - I use CDJ-100s too. It may be (and this probaby is why it says "requires scratch" in the info page of this site), that with scratch emulated players you can do the manual "re-sync" with the wave form I was talking about. As it stands at the moment, there will always be a slight delay in playing from a cue point because VDJ has to first read the appropriate position, then seek to that point and then start playing.

I agree with you re: about being impatient for new controllers though. Any news of an XP10 MKII?

Posted Thu 17 Mar 05 @ 4:39 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)