Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: 64bit? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

al0000PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Everything will upgraded to 64bit. Intel & AMD CPU are availalbe, Microsoft is releasing final XP 64bit in a few months, and my guess is that until christmas, all softwere, drivers etc. will have been upgraded to 64bit.

What about VirtualDJ? :)

Alex

Posted Sat 05 Mar 05 @ 6:22 pm
arjunaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
What are the REAL advantages of 64 bit soft?
I mean, I remeber the Intel P2 MMX "revolution" years ago, but in fact a few softwares ever used the MMX instructions, like compression programs. For me this "64-bit excitement" looks the same, surely on the short/medium period.

Maybe I'm wrong, so please someone explain it.

Ciao!! :)

Posted Sat 05 Mar 05 @ 7:22 pm
O M G !
A "simple" explanation: Instead of handling 32 bit of information at a time, the CPU can handle 64 bit of information at a time thus increasing the speed by 2.
To really use the 64 bit architecture fully you must have a OS that operates at 64 bit. There are numerous of 64 bit OS out there already, espacially in the world of UNIX/Linux distributions. Nice that Microsoft also wanna join up with the (old) next generation hardware/software platform of 64-bit.
Some things might be added to the subject aswell, but there is more to 64 bit "then just some few instructions.."

Posted Sun 06 Mar 05 @ 5:02 pm
I think this should be the platform for VDJ 3. Of course, an upgrade fee should be charged because this would be a significant improvement in my opinion.

OO

Posted Sun 06 Mar 05 @ 8:29 pm
I agree on the upgrade fee.

However, VirtualDJ doesn't seem to get updated often. It's been many months now with no update, not even minor.

Why?

Alex

Posted Mon 07 Mar 05 @ 1:42 am
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
The programmers must have their reasons. They work hard and really take care about users wishes.

Posted Mon 07 Mar 05 @ 2:29 am

Posted Mon 07 Mar 05 @ 4:27 am
mUd-VPRO InfinityMember since 2003

Posted Mon 07 Mar 05 @ 5:23 am
Good info mUD-V. If anybody else has info regarding this topic, please share it.

OO

Posted Mon 07 Mar 05 @ 5:38 am
I know that bugs and even worse, new features, are not easy to fix and develop, and they need their time to build and test, BUT, that doesn't mean we could't know what's comming next.

But ofcourse, everyone's talking, not many act instead of talk. I remember another company's promises, that never came.

I really agree on having a registered users only forum

Alex

Posted Mon 07 Mar 05 @ 11:49 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
One reason about the delay must be the Namn show they had to prepare for ..
It must started months ago before the show.
But in any case this delay is not longer than "other" companies... and we have a beautifull and full working 2.06 version. I have not a bad comment for the atomix team.
-------------------

About the 64bit yes more power but also double the RAM memory will needed for any application running including all the loaded dll's and components ... Am'i right ?

Posted Mon 07 Mar 05 @ 12:53 pm
We have a good working 2.06 indeed, with a few known bugs, mostly minor.

But I still like to see higher quality master tempo :)

Alex

ps. apopsis apo pou eisai?

Posted Mon 07 Mar 05 @ 3:25 pm
al0000: “But ofcourse, everyone's talking, not many act instead of talk. I remember another company's promises, that never came.”

I think the possibility of a VDJ version built on 64-bit technology will depend on the demand and price for it. Therefore, since you agree on an upgrade fee al0000, how much would you pay?

OO

Posted Mon 07 Mar 05 @ 6:55 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
You should ask this feature in the "new features" topic as i'm interested too

Posted Mon 07 Mar 05 @ 7:57 pm
I'm willing to pay as much as needed and as much as I can afford. I don't know how much would that be.

Eventhough my main job is sound engineer, and don't make money from DJing.

What about you?

Alex

ps. why the quote?

Posted Tue 08 Mar 05 @ 1:41 am
DachPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Actually, I don't consider 2.06 to be "Working," because I have a backlog of hundreds of files that are waiting to be scanned, since batch-scanned files don't have any volume information.

Posted Tue 08 Mar 05 @ 11:45 am
al0000, I quote someone when I’m addressing a specific part of a post. Also, since this is an international forum, it makes it easier for someone less fluent in English to better understand why something is being stated and to whom it is being stated to. Furthermore, this is especially useful in a thread that contains numerous posts by different people.

Regarding your question, it would depend on the retail price of the 64-bit version of VDJ. I paid $99 for a FX upgrade because VISIO stated that the retail price would be $299—a demo wasn’t available at the time and there was a deadline. As a matter of fact, they are having the same sell now http://www.pcdj.com/ . It’s not even worth $99 in my opinion. However, I will give VISIO credit because you got FX as separate software and not as an upgrade to the "original" Red. Since the VDJ 64-bit version would actually be a new program, I foresee a similar upgrade offering from Mr. Clavel and Company. Therefore, if the 64-bit version were to retail for $250 (and included more features), I would pay $100 for the upgrade.

OO

Posted Tue 08 Mar 05 @ 8:07 pm
If we assume that VirtualDJ 3.0 will be 64bit, and cost 199$, the upgrade will be arround 60-70? Fair enough. VDJ is already very cheap. I don't think anyone would mind to pay more.

PCDJ FX, no, it's not worth it. If they want to save their product, they should rely to PCDJ Red code.
BPMstudio is expensive, but at least it works.

doubleO, Is there any reason you quoted that specific part of my post? Just wondering :)

Alex

Posted Tue 08 Mar 05 @ 8:25 pm
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
64 bit is primarily a raw power advantage in processing, correct?

If that is indeed the case, why would it matter for VDJ when it rarely pushes a modern machine above 30% cpu usage in its current 32 bit form?

I'll gladly pay for 3.0 if it is indeed a new program with new/better features. If it is a disguised bug fix for our current program, however, I'll hold my money.

Posted Tue 08 Mar 05 @ 8:52 pm
Alex, in my opinion, what I quoted by you expresses doubt that a 64-bit version of VDJ will become reality. Therefore, I responded by stating “I think the possibility of a VDJ version built on 64-bit technology will depend on the demand and price for it.” Since you obviously have an interest in this possible product, I wanted to know how much you were willing to pay for an upgrade. I'm also sure Mr. Clavel and Company are also interested in how much we would be willing to pay for such a product. Consequently, I think your suggested retail and upgrade prices are reasonable from a consumer perspective . However, if this future product includes some excusive features that take full advantage of the 64-bit technology, I think my prices would be more practical from a business perspective. If we averaged both our suggestions, we are looking at a retail price of $225 and an upgrade price of $85 (I used $70).

OO

Posted Tue 08 Mar 05 @ 9:13 pm
77%