Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Question for all you Karaoke guys... How to create a songbook, QUICKLY....

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have now over 10k karaoke songs, and I just can't type them all up, i'm looking for a cheap(or free) way to get all these songs into a nice looking menu for the people who want to sing, but not have to sit there and type all of them out... Any suggestions?

Posted Sun 08 Mar 09 @ 5:58 pm
I used song book creater by latshaw systems. Only cost $79 but it's takes your karaoke song files and creats the song list from the file names. I then exported it to an excel document and the run a mail merge in word document to create the song book that i personally liked. The song book creaters song book is ok but i wanted my own style.

hope this helps.

They have a free version but it can only do 1,000 songs at a time but you could work round it if you run it once, export to excel, move the songs that have been done to a new folder, run it again etc till all your songs are done.

Posted Sun 08 Mar 09 @ 6:09 pm
Hmm, thats not a bad idea, but I DO like the way this program organizes the printable version of the song list that it generates. How can I get the exported excel speadsheet to look nicer (I mean, when I do a print preview, it looks like ass)... is there anyway to make it look more professional? (Whats this mail merger thingy you speak of?)

Posted Sun 08 Mar 09 @ 6:11 pm
Have not used it for a while but if i remember right under 1 of the menu's is export to excel or something.

Open up word and click on tools, mail merge, then click create and cataologe, active window, get data, open data source, under file type change to excel file and click on the excel file that you created from the song list creater. then click close and click ok. Then in word a new toolbar appers and you can click on insert merge field and click on the artisit and then do it again and click on song. When it's all done click on merge to new document and everything from your excell spreadsheet is then merged to your word document. If you got to www.yourplaceentertainment.co.uk/help.htm and i will upload my examples there for you to download and have a look at. bit give me 5 mins to set it up

Posted Sun 08 Mar 09 @ 6:23 pm
Files uploaded, hope this helps and gives you the idea

Posted Sun 08 Mar 09 @ 6:30 pm
The best Karaoke book creator is from www,airwer.com

Posted Sun 08 Mar 09 @ 7:35 pm
thx

Posted Sun 08 Mar 09 @ 9:46 pm
Quote :
They have a free version but it can only do 1,000 songs at a time but you could work round it if you run it once, export to excel, move the songs that have been done to a new folder, run it again etc till all your songs are done.

Thanks dude! That worked perfect. Exactly what I was looking for...I simple way to generate the data into a usable form!

Posted Tue 31 Mar 09 @ 10:50 pm
www.airwer.com and song list creator, i tryed that, but i didnt see an option for it to scan MY karaoke files to create a list, rather it just gave the entire karaoke universe and i could TICK which disks i want to include in the listing!!! not doing that on a thosand plus disks!!!

is the program mentioned further above more capable?

Posted Wed 01 Apr 09 @ 12:02 pm
ls list generator might work for you, it's freeware. google it.

Posted Thu 02 Apr 09 @ 12:14 am
Speedy53PRO InfinityStaffMember since 2008
There is a easy way to do it without softwares. Just by creating a files list and manage it using Excel, as suggested above.
Of course, it works better if your filenames are organized (example the classic format "Singername - Songname").

1 - Open command prompt
2 - Go to the folder where your files at. Use cd command to navigate into the folders tree. Type the path of the folder (example: cd users/speedy/my documents/my music) or combine dir and cd commands: once in any folder, type dir to know the foldernames inside then type cd foldername to get in the folder you want to.
3 - When in the folder, type dir/b > songlist.txt. With it you create inside the same folder, a txt file with a list of all files that are in the folder.
4 - Close the command prompt (exit)
5 - Open windows explorer
6 - Go to the folder where the file songlist.txt is
7 - Open it, you can manage the list using Excel (select, copy and paste). Using text formulas you can do anything with the list.

I hope its clear for all of you, sorry my english.

Posted Sat 25 Apr 09 @ 4:41 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)