Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: File Info Storage. which side r u on?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

vpcdjHome userMember since 2004
In this post i'd like to see a debate on file info storage.
storage on .xml vs. on file.

sometimes i do wish file information was stored in the file but i think vdj is great that when the same track is loaded on both decks, when a cue is set on one deck it does the same for the other deck. if the file info was stored in the file the file wouldnt it have to be reloaded?

with pcdj when something is done to a file and its loaded on both decks, for it to be effective on the other deck, the track has to be reloaded. ::thumbs down::
---
i get a lot of music too and with pcdj i dont like sharing with people my files coz of the work i put into them.
but with vdj i'd have no problem giving people music because all theyr gettin is just the file. my 'work' remains with me.

i personally dont mind the xml storage. the thread would like to hear from you...

Posted Sun 27 Feb 05 @ 5:36 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
You're right PCDJ has its own ID3tag fields. I hope VDJ will have its own too in the future.
There is a lot of posts talking about ID3tag compatibility and this idea was already suggested.

The idea I think is to allow creation of VDJ fields in ID tag then to create a database with VDJ. Then you can scan your collection when you launch your program in order not to slow down the tracks display (like actual parser) (like Winamp). The non-recorded tracks could be displayed as at present.

This is my suggestion.
Clax

Posted Sun 27 Feb 05 @ 5:41 pm
The only thing that I believe is a negative is that (as with pcdj) if VDJ uses id3 tags, the program will have to work harder. Searching and loading of tracks will slow down some. Hopefully not too much. I still think it will be worth it but not it if could cause crashes.

It still will be a positive thing to have the program read id3v2 tags in my opinion.

Killabee44

Posted Sun 27 Feb 05 @ 6:17 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
But if it is a scan at the start to adapt database it won't take CPU for that after.

Posted Sun 27 Feb 05 @ 6:19 pm
vpcdjHome userMember since 2004
i personally dont whine too much for vdj's idv3 support coz i use Microsoft Excel.
pcdj (red) gets my bpms in the background or all night. i group them and send the .ini file to Excel. Excel database is perfect for me. on excel i have all sorts of spreadsheets its amazing.

not everyone will be happy if the cue points are saved on the file.

---
i prefer winamp's support for the tags whereby u can just type any word of a song and it appears. the words can be in the file name or tags.
with vdj the people whose files are named something like 07-busta_rhymes_-_gimme_some_more_(instrumental)-ysp, have to type the underscores too. some people have tons of files and cant rename them only for vdj's case. other programs before vdj still use the files.

Posted Sun 27 Feb 05 @ 7:44 pm
How about a compromise where you select the id3TAGS you want to track and use?

For example, all I really want is artist, trackname, album, BPM, and track number. I could care less about comment, genre, etc.

Would it affect the speed of the scanning/database much to limit the # of fields?

Posted Sun 27 Feb 05 @ 11:27 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)