Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: parser.. what is it?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

paisanPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Because I only use virtual dj for fun and too de-stress(it's hard to think about anything but music when using this program) I continuosly find new features and tricks in the program that I am usually able to figure out. But every now and then I get lost. Last week it was the auto scratch, this week it is the parser, I downloaded it but have no clue what it is or even what it is used for. Thanks in advance for the help and patience with my silly questions.

Posted Sat 26 Feb 05 @ 3:02 pm
Paisan,

The parser is a .dll file that you drop in the main VDJ directory. The file's function is to give VDJ MP3 tag (id3v2) functionality. It will allow VDJ to see the id3 tags in the tracks and let you sort the tracks by each tag (like trackname, title, genre, comment, etc.).

The only problem about the parser file is that it will slow down your searches depending on how many tracks you have. It can also slow down how fast VDJ loads. If you have a track with a corrupt tag, it can cause trouble (possibly a crash).

I have always worked with programs that use .mp3 tags. It is a much better system because the BPM of each song stays stored within that song. That way if the program crashes you will never lose your database.

I will give a lot of credit to whomever created the parser. It is GREAT. I just dont want something else slowing VDJ a little more which could attribute to skipping. Give us the option of native id3v2 tag support please!

Killabee44

Posted Sat 26 Feb 05 @ 3:37 pm
paisanPRO InfinityMember since 2004
thanks alot for taking the time to explain that:)

Posted Sat 26 Feb 05 @ 3:41 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Yes Kllabee but parsers could do more other displays than ID3.

There's eben a a possibility to create its own parser.

It depends the way you write you tracks name. The parser is created to interprete your filenames as artist (first filename word , second ?) title (idem), the separator character (-) or (_) or another one.

;)
Clax

Posted Sat 26 Feb 05 @ 3:49 pm
True Clax, I forgot to explain that. :)

Posted Sat 26 Feb 05 @ 4:13 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
But next version will support id3 tags, as i read in this forum, so parser will probably become useless.

Posted Sun 27 Feb 05 @ 3:51 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)