Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Need something to "liven" up older mp3's that seem flat and dull

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Need some help guys,

This afternoon I've been going though some of my older mp3's from about 3-4 years ago and more maybe. Back then I used Nero to rip and convert to mp3.

Now I've been playing these mp3's along side my newer mp3's and they seem flat and dull (if you know what I mean). I've tried mp3gain to see if it can do anything to them, but it couldn't. Even if I use my Eq and my mixer they still seem flat and no punch to them

Basically I need a program that I could run them though to liven up these older mp3's.

Is there anything out there, or is it possible?

Posted Fri 06 Feb 09 @ 12:03 pm
You can use Goldwave to batch process them and add preset EQ which will liven up the sound a bit.

There shouldn't be any reason why some sound better than others though .... there are different encoders but the end result is pretty much the same.

Maybe the earlier ones were ripped at a lesser bandwidth and that's why they sound flat, although anything 128kps onwards will normally be good enough quality.

Posted Fri 06 Feb 09 @ 12:06 pm
What bit rate are the older MP3s in?

Posted Fri 06 Feb 09 @ 12:08 pm
kradcliffe wrote :

There shouldn't be any reason why some sound better than others though .... there are different encoders but the end result is pretty much the same.

That's what I thought mate, but there is, when you play them along side my newer tracks. I'll have a look at Goldwave mate.

bonaparte wrote :

What bit rate are the older MP3s in

All my mp3's, old and new are at 320kps

Posted Fri 06 Feb 09 @ 12:13 pm
I recomend Sony sound forge...but the dissadvantage would be that you have to work each file individually and it takes time..anyway,if you go this way normalize each mp3 at 0db with dynamic compression on,plus you can find a lot of other functions to boost your mp3s with forge..

Posted Fri 06 Feb 09 @ 12:21 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
jimmy b wrote :
This afternoon I've been going though some of my older mp3's from about 3-4 hours ago and more maybe. Back then I used Nero to rip and convert to mp3.

3-4 hours is old? ;)

Could it be the actual tracks themselves - compression and EQ of the source track can make a big difference.

Posted Fri 06 Feb 09 @ 12:26 pm
SBDJ wrote :
jimmy b wrote :
This afternoon I've been going though some of my older mp3's from about 3-4 hours ago and more maybe. Back then I used Nero to rip and convert to mp3.

3-4 hours is old? ;)

LOL, sorry my mistake, 3-4 years.

Just edited it, lol

Posted Fri 06 Feb 09 @ 12:30 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)