Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: DPC Latency Questions - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

whoa. ok well how do i do that? i can't find the xperf unless i search and then it pops up then closes right away?

Posted Thu 05 Feb 09 @ 9:02 am
Do you know the directory it's installed to? If not, when you do the search, right click on it and choose properties, then copy and location, e.g. C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Performance Toolkit\xperf.exe

In your start menu type cmd, and then rightclick on command prompt and choose Run as administrator (only necessary if you have UAC on). Then change into the xperf directory, e.g.

cd "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Performance Toolkit"

You can then run the commands I put up previously. I tried this and got these results:

Once you're in the xperfview, scroll down to the DPC section, rightclick it and choose Summary Table.

Posted Thu 05 Feb 09 @ 9:11 am
ok thanks i got the program open but now its a blank window. where to i put the commans you mentioned in the other post? thanks for the help everyone!!!!

Posted Thu 05 Feb 09 @ 9:19 am
Once you've opened up the command prompt, follow these commands:

cd "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Performance Toolkit"
You need the quotes here. I think this is the correct directory, I'm not sure as I extracted xperf out of the installer without running it. If these instructions don't work for you, follow my previous post to find out where you have it installed.

xperf -on Latency
It runs in the background so as long as you don't get a file not found message, it's doing it's job! You can optionally load up Virtual DJ for a few seconds but I don't think it's necessary. After a little while, in the same window issue the command:

xperf -stop
Again there is no visual feedback, but you shouldn't get an error either. Once You've completed both steps, use the last command to view the results:

xperfview \kernel.etl

Posted Thu 05 Feb 09 @ 9:23 am
realized that after i posted. ok i got that open mine is in graph form which is fine but now how or what am i supposed to be looking for to figure out why its got the higher than i would like dpc readings?

Posted Thu 05 Feb 09 @ 9:25 am
Scroll down to where the DPC graph is, and then right click on it and choose Summary Table. I think I can understand the graph, and have sorted mine by Actual Duration, although my Max Actual Duration clearly shows one driver behaving quite badly!

Posted Thu 05 Feb 09 @ 9:29 am
looking over the graphs i notice when my disk i/o and disk utilization are high thats when i see a spike in hard faults in the red just like the disk and i/o

Posted Thu 05 Feb 09 @ 9:30 am
ok i did that now im seeing a bunch of "modules" in red for duration and count. there are a few really high the rest not even over 9.0. the high ones are dpclat_driver.sys (i am assuming thaats the dpc checker program running) tcpip.sys, dxgkrnl.sys, syntp.sys, iastor.sys any ideas as to what they are? i'm learning a lot i love it!

Posted Thu 05 Feb 09 @ 9:35 am
Yours seem to be the same as mine. The SynTP one is the touchpad driver for horizontal/vertical scrolling and some other useless stuff like pressure graph etc. IaStor is Intel, to do with communicating to your harddrive, the rest are Microsoft I think.

Posted Thu 05 Feb 09 @ 9:43 am
dammmmmmmmit now i tried closing it running it agaIn and following the same steps you had posted i get this error message Trace
kernal.etl could not be succesfully opened[0x800700a1] just when i think im getting somewhere.

Posted Thu 05 Feb 09 @ 9:43 am
ok got that sorted out i believe. damn this si soem work. ok so how do you disable that drive for scrolling etc?

Posted Thu 05 Feb 09 @ 9:45 am
ok ran it without dpc lat checker on. the really high one at like 272906 counts is the tcpip.sys next is the dxgkrnl.sys is this one after i start the xperf running? the usbport.sys is third in line then the others i mention before. what is tcpip.sys i believed to disable the tcpip in services in my tweeks.

Posted Thu 05 Feb 09 @ 9:53 am
You should be able to remove the Synaptics Touch Driver from Control Panel. tcpip.sys is to do with networking, maybe it has such a large usage to do with Vista's autotuning, but I don't know anything about it. dxgkrnl is the Direct X Graphics Kernel. This one interests me a little, I've made some observations that I can get better Vista Virtual DJ performance from my laptop if I remove the graphics driver, also having the graphics card set to maximum performance doesn't work as well has having it balanced. Do you have an ATI card? usbport.sys sounds pretty self explanatory but why so much usage I don't know. I have these exact same readings as you.

Posted Thu 05 Feb 09 @ 12:52 pm
i am running an nvidia 8400m video card with 256 dedicated ram. i'll look into the other things.

Posted Thu 05 Feb 09 @ 2:11 pm

Posted Fri 06 Feb 09 @ 12:28 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)