Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: DPC Latency Questions - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I don't have any drop outs or problems with sound or video but after reading a post regarding it i found info on a program DPC Latency Checker. i think its great to know where your system runs and perform. so i installed it on my internet laptop (xp) and it only shows a small green bar (15us) then about every 60 seconds i get 4 yellow bars (1668us). it tells me that this pc is ok to run blah blah. so then i install it on my gig laptop (vista) faster, more ram etc and when i run it with everything disabled, network, modens, firewall, no virus protect etc i get a constant of (430us) and peaks of about (1450us). it still says the machine is ok to run without drop outs but why is a better machine having higher readings. if i move the cue window around on the desktop i get red spikes all the way to the top but no audio or video pops or drop outs on playback. i have disabled pretty much everything it tells you to try in the manual for the program when you see the green spikes but none of them did anything to the dpc readings. i'm hoping someone can shed some light on why my better machine runs worse than one on the internet and with everyhting running etc. is there somethign im missing or not doing right?

Posted Mon 02 Feb 09 @ 7:47 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006

Posted Mon 02 Feb 09 @ 2:14 pm
yeah i read that very posts before i downloaded to program and ran it on my machines. so if i have dual core then my readings are gonna be higher? as for drivers etc how do i determin that? i tried turning things off one by one and watching the dpc readings and it didn't affect the out come of the report much at all. like i said in my first post i turned off all the usual suspects.

Posted Mon 02 Feb 09 @ 8:50 pm
The more CPUs you have, the lower your DPC latency should theoretically be.

It is possible to track down which driver is misbehaving, and in some cases even what it is doing wrong so you can notify the vendor.

Look at tools such as RATTv3 and KernRate. RATTv3 should throw up some results on the search here too.

Posted Tue 03 Feb 09 @ 5:54 am
i've used rattv3 before with the same results. gained nothing or any knowledge of my system's problems. both machines are dual core but yet i get such different readings from the prgram. also if you try to search on this site you might as well just give up. every time i search i get a ton of posts that have nothing to do with the word i put in. why can't we just search titles and not entire posts?

Posted Tue 03 Feb 09 @ 6:08 am
You can search this site using google :)

Posted Tue 03 Feb 09 @ 6:28 am
here is a pick of the older slower dual core with everything on virus, firewall, network etc. with 26 total processes running on XP

Posted Wed 04 Feb 09 @ 10:01 am
sorry didnt post for some reason. here is the Compaq 1.9 dual with xp and 26 processes etc.

and this one is my gig laptop HP 2.1 dual hp loaded with vista and 24 processes running no internet, network etc.

i do not get any audio pops, clicks or issues but seeing the reports from dpc checker i am suprised that i don't. i have checked all my devices and all are "working properly" once and a while on the hp machine i see a huge spike to the top with red. any more help would be great. i like to have my machines runnign the best they can.

Posted Wed 04 Feb 09 @ 10:05 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

oh dear me, lol

In the device manager I have disabled "Microsoft AC Adaptor" and "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" Under the Battery header. I've disabled them on my gig machine

I found these devices, help to produce spikes in the DPC latency checker. Also it worths checking and disabling your internal soundcard too (thats if you use a external soundcard that is, lol)

Posted Wed 04 Feb 09 @ 10:17 am
Optical Drives are another common culprit...

Posted Wed 04 Feb 09 @ 2:50 pm
ok well i disabled both ac and bat. also the internal card and it still looks fairly the same. i can't have optical drives off as i use them sometimes while playing. am i missing something? is it a vista issue? being the one thats flat lined is an xp machine?

Posted Wed 04 Feb 09 @ 3:25 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

Internal modem is another one, Intergated Webcam, any infared device too

Posted Wed 04 Feb 09 @ 4:59 pm
Basically it could be any device driver on the system. It has also been known to be the system BIOS in some instances.

Basically the only real way to troubleshoot beyond the usual culprits is to start tracing...

Posted Wed 04 Feb 09 @ 5:20 pm
Both my systems have better DPC performance with XP than Vista, and the laptop significantly so. In my laptops case I think it is a BIOS issue as after I updated to the latest release the latency in Vista is consistently yellow. Oddly enough, if I change the power settings to Balanced (rather than High Performance), there are occasionally yellow spikes rather than a constant stream.

Posted Wed 04 Feb 09 @ 9:51 pm
jimmy i have turned all those services/items off as well. i have noticed the reading is a bit lower since i turned the other stuff off but i'm still yellow with a red spike here and there. when you say tracing how would i go about that? i have turned off just about everything i can.

Posted Thu 05 Feb 09 @ 5:23 am
Two utilities that are often of use are RATTv3 and KernRate.

Posted Thu 05 Feb 09 @ 7:57 am
ok but when i run ratt what the heck am i looking for. it pops up with a bunch of info that means nothing to me. what am i looking for in the ratt report?

Posted Thu 05 Feb 09 @ 7:58 am

Posted Thu 05 Feb 09 @ 8:16 am
ok went to the link skimmed through. googled xperf it sent me to the msdn site i downloaded WPT Kit v.4.1.1 i installed it but nothing seemed to install. i did a search of the laptop for sperf and a dos type window popped up then closed right away. it looks nothing like the data info on the link you posted.

Posted Thu 05 Feb 09 @ 8:51 am
Hmm I never knew about xperf, thanks for the recommendation SBDJ.

djsynstr, it looks like you have to run a few commands:

xperf -on Latency
run Virtual DJ and load a track maybe then close it
xperf -stop
xperfview \kernel.etl

Make sure to run your command prompt with elevated privileges.

Posted Thu 05 Feb 09 @ 8:57 am
57%