Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: CREATING THE PERPECT CD - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

i want to know the best way to creat a cd using virtual dj and making no errors

Posted Thu 10 Feb 05 @ 1:47 am
Well for starters, you should purchase VDJ and quit using the bootleg copy.

Posted Thu 10 Feb 05 @ 2:20 am
why u so rude to the ras man , just making simple comment

Posted Fri 11 Feb 05 @ 4:31 am
Not trying to be rude Ras Man, just letting you know that the best way to utilize VDJ is to own a legal copy.

Posted Fri 11 Feb 05 @ 5:07 am
being able to DJ also comes in handy...

Posted Fri 11 Feb 05 @ 12:45 pm
Nothing is ever foolproof! It's not the software or the equipment. Although they do help. It's the DJ himself. A true DJ can listen to a song and pick out the slightest imperfections while others will just her a song. Also you have to have a passion for music. I am constantly mixing songs in my head all day long. I can hear a song and imagine another song breaking in with a simular track. It's not about the people or the girls. It's about the love of music. Finally you have to practice in order to improve your talent. Some people have it...some don't. A great artist can draw a masterpiece with a simple stub of a pencil on a piece of old brown grocery bag. So...passion+practice=talent.

MS

Posted Fri 11 Feb 05 @ 2:55 pm
The best way to create a cd using Virtual DJ and make no errors is to use multi-track recording software. Here's two methods for mixing into multi-track recording software with VDJ:

The first method is the Internal Method, which has two options.

1. With this option, you record your continuous mix live with two tracks—each desk (player) would record into a separate track simultaneously. You would bounce back and forth between the two tracks as you mix. Your mix is kept within the computer until the finished product is burned to CD. Also, your mixer is used only for listening and cueing. However, I think the next option is better for building and burning a professional sounding mix.

2. With this option, you construct your mix one song at a time with numerous tracks. This option allows you to try out different songs and select the combination that you like the best. Example: I have the first song already recorded into track 1. I then use VDJ to mix the second song into track 2. I then repeat the same process with the next song and record it into track 3. I mute the song in track 3 and let tracks 1 and 2 play together. I then mute track 2 and let tracks 1 and 3 play together. After listening to both combinations, I choose tracks 1 and 3. You would build your entire mix this way. It takes longer than the first option, but the finished mix will sound much better. This option is also easier than the first option when editing mistakes because you’re adding only one song at a time. Therefore, if you were to make a mistake, you would simple delete the song and mix it in again. With the first option, you would have to playback your entire mix before discovering any mistakes. Furthermore, editing various parts of an entire mix is more difficult than editing only one song at a time. There have been many times when I thought something sounded good through the headphones, but had a different opinion once I played it back through my speakers.

You are probably wondering, “What happens when I cue a song with this method?” It will get recorded; however, you can remove this from your mix easily if the multi-track recording software has some basic editing tools. Also, the software should give you the ability to pan tracks and fade a song in and out with additional editing tools.

The second method is the External Method.

The External Method gives you the same two options as the Internal Method. However, the major difference is that VDJ plays through your mixer and into the multi-track recorder. Consequently, this method allows you to fade with your mixer. This eliminates much of the editing that would be required with the Internal Method. Unfortunately, you will loose some sound quality by going through your mixer—digital to analog to digital again (unless you are using a mixer that has digital hookups). Although you will loose some sound quality with this method, I think it is the easiest and best method for you to use with multi-track recording software. Plus, the sound quality should still be good if you are using good quality mp3’s, soundcards, cables, mixer, etc….

Keep in mind that none of these methods will work with the demo—you need the Professional Edition!

OO

Posted Fri 11 Feb 05 @ 7:14 pm
I forgot to mention that you would use the same multi-track recording software with the External Method as you would for the Internal Method. You also need at least two sound cards with the External Method. VDJ would play into your mixer through one sound card. The multi-track recording software would record from the mixer through the other sound card.

OO

Posted Fri 11 Feb 05 @ 7:53 pm
Another option is using two computers—one for VDJ and the other for the multi-track recording software.

OO

Posted Fri 11 Feb 05 @ 11:00 pm
I currently use two computers when I do my recordings. I have one running Virtual DJ and the line out from my mixer goes into the line in on the other laptop. This makes a pretty good recording that you don't have to fiddle with afterwards, but does not offer the saftey net that the multi-track option does. The recording is done "live", if you screw up, you mix is toasted - but what better to prepare you for the rigors of DJing live. Survive or Die.

Posted Sat 12 Feb 05 @ 12:06 am
Double 0,

Some really good info. What software would you say works best for method 2? Soundforge? Cool Edit? or another?

I have always recorded my mixes on the fly with another pc but have thought about doing it the multitrack way. How exactly can you do the multitrack way when recording on a second pc and a specific software? For a long time now I wanted to try recording that way. Thanks.

Killabee44

Posted Sat 12 Feb 05 @ 12:34 am
Thanks guys for all this info I liked DJ Maddsound suggestions the best . 1 major problem to me is volume leveling .The VD program helps you with opions of volume leveling but you must admit, when u have music from alot of different albums some songs are to soft or to loud to match each other.

Posted Sat 12 Feb 05 @ 5:12 am
Also that could be a problem if you are downloading songs illegally. I have a friend who spins as well but he gets all his music from downloading sites. The problem is that alot of these songs are reproduced or rerecorded by some dumb 15 year old kid who has no idea what an equalizer is. So some of the songs come out distorted or too bass heavy. This will affect you volume leveling. The best bet is to purchase music that has been produced by professionals. It just seems to help alot.

Posted Sat 12 Feb 05 @ 6:34 am
Here is a simple method that works pretty good.

You need: vDJ (full version) and Cool Edit (or similar audio editor)

1. Set vDJ to record to disk .MP3 or .WAV file.
2. Do your mix as best you can in vDJ (hopefully you are not too shabby of a DJ, because the more mistakes to make, the more editing you will have to do)
3. Everytime you make a mistake while mixing in vDJ, just PAUSE the playing deck for about 5 seconds, then click an earlier spot on the playing track and execute the mix again.

4. When you are done, open the .Mp3 or .Wav file in something like Cool Edit and edit together the good portions of the mix. You will be able to easily identify the portions that need to be fixed by seeing the 5 second gaps in the waveform.

5. You can use something like Cool Edit's Hard Limiter to Master your levels.

6. Burn to CD -> DONE.

Respeck [:o)

Posted Sat 12 Feb 05 @ 2:13 pm
ornellaHome userMember since 2005
tes belle

Posted Sat 12 Feb 05 @ 3:10 pm
vpcdjHome userMember since 2004
for users that cant record within a program i recommend All Sound Recorder. its one of those programs that records anything from the soundcard. can record .wav, mp3, wma. its good for practise coz it can record very small files even less than 64k.96k sounds fair and saves space. then burning u can chop it up into individual tracks using Nero.

Posted Sat 12 Feb 05 @ 7:00 pm
Just take 15 tunes and practice and practice and practice........if you spend your time editing you will never get better.If you have to do it live then what?
Andre

Posted Sat 12 Feb 05 @ 8:13 pm
Killabee44: “What software would you say works best for method 2? Soundforge? Cool Edit? or another?”

I can’t tell you what software works best because an answer would be purely arbitrary. However, I can tell you what I use and how it works. Consequently, you can look for software with similar features.

The multi-track recording software that I use is Vegas Audio (the professional version). Sonic Foundry—now owned by Sony—once made this software. Unfortunately, it has been discontinued. However, Vegas Audio looks almost identical to another Sonic Foundry/Sony product called
Acid Pro (which I also have):

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/products/showproduct.asp?PID=928&FeatureID=7981

Now that you have an idea of what I’m using, I will give you some features that you must have in the software you choose and a brief explanation as to why they are essential:

1. The ability to playback a track or tracks and record simultaneously.

You need this feature because you have to playback what you’ve recorded in a track (track 1) through your mixer while simultaneously using one of the VDJ desk (or a turntable, cd player, etc…) to add another song in a different track (track 2). Although both songs are in separate tracks, both songs will playback together at whatever point you added the other song to the mix.

2. The ability to add a track to your mix and move it up or down.

Let’s imagine that in the explanation I gave you for feature 1 that you wanted the beatmixing to sound better between those two tracks. However, you’ve added 20 more tracks and like how the rest of your mix sounds. How are you going to improve the beatmixing for the first two songs in your mix? There a various ways you can do this but the simplest way is to add a track and redo only the beatmixing part. With the software that I use, each new track appears as the last track in a mix. You would not be able to see the first two tracks and the last track of a 21 track mix at the same time. Therefore, you need the ability to move the new track under track 2 so you can see all three tracks at the same time. Once you redo the beatmixing part in track 3, you would then need the next feature to edit track 2.

3. The ability to select and delete any part of a track and undo it if necessary.

Let’s assume that you beatmixed the first 30 seconds of the song in track 2 with the last 30 seconds of the song in track 1. You have also redone the 30 seconds of beatmixing in track 3. You now need to delete the first 30 seconds of track 2. In order to do this, you need the ability to select (highlight) the first 30 seconds of track 2 and delete it. Now imagine that after deleting it, you change your mind and decide to keep your original 30 seconds of track 2. In order to get back your original 30 seconds of track 2, you need the ability to undo what you've deleted—trust me; you will use this feature many times while constructing the "perfect" mix.

You would also use this procedure if you recorded a live mix in two tracks and wanted to correct you mistakes. All your corrections could be done in track 3. Once you’ve done them, you would delete the mistakes from the mix.

4. The ability to mute each track individually.

In the above example for feature 3, you need the ability to mute track 2 so that only track 1 is playing. This makes it easier to redo the beatmixing part.

There are a few more features that I need to disclose to you Killabee44. I will finish my explanation later. It may seem complicated but it is very simple once you understand what you are doing. Consequently, let me know if you want me to continue this explanation.

OO

Posted Sat 12 Feb 05 @ 9:18 pm
Andre: “Just take 15 tunes and practice and practice and practice........if you spend your time editing you will never get better.”

Good point Andre for a DJ trying to improve his DJing live skills. However, this thread is about creating a perfectly mixed (and not done live) cd, which takes "practice at editing."

OO

Posted Sat 12 Feb 05 @ 9:38 pm
seanrasta44: “1 major problem to me is volume leveling .The VD program helps you with opions of volume leveling but you must admit, when u have music from alot of different albums some songs are to soft or to loud to match each other.”

This is easily corrected with multi-track recording software that has the ability to normalize each track individually, which I consider an essential feature to have.

OO

Posted Sat 12 Feb 05 @ 9:48 pm
18%