Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: New to DJ'ing, need some advice on what to get to start out

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

krewzloHome userMember since 2008
I am looking for equipment, either software or mixing table to do my own mixing for personal use. I don't really plan on becoming a dj, but I want to be able to make up some remixes to songs to play at parties or what not. I have never used any type of equipment besides the trial version of virtual dj on my laptop. What is some good equipment to get started with? Is using my laptop better than a mixing table or not? I was pretty lost on using the trial version but was starting to get the hang of it. I think it would be easier with a table than trying to use my mouse as I can use both hands on the table but not on the computer, correct???? I don't want to spend alot of money as if I can't use it correctly I don't want to be out a lot. With the starter tables can I record onto cd what I have mixed? Is there a way to remove the lyrics from one song and put the lyrics from another with the music from the first one? Sorry if my "lingo" isn't correct but I have absolutely no experience in this but I have a huge love for music and want to create some of my own. Please post up suggestions or what ever info you can give me.
Also where can I purchase the virtual dj home edition? It doesn't allow me to on this site but I am unable to find it online anywhere.

Thanks in advance

Posted Wed 03 Dec 08 @ 2:51 pm
uu can start off with the total control,hercules mk2..two simple controller..if u want a controller with a sound card built in then MK2 is the way to go..if u want a seperate card total control...but it depends how much u want to waste..

Posted Wed 03 Dec 08 @ 2:57 pm
Well let see if i can answer your questions

If you cannot.. find the home version .. suggestion is that you may purchase the pro version from this site.... may work out better for you... (not sure how u get the home version). A lot of goodies on the site.....

yes you can record your mixes straight to CD .. .with a stand alone.burner. (there may be other methods)
or you can record your mix to a wave file and post edit with Nero.. CD architect.. or any similar software

Virtual Dj does allow you to remove obtain vocals from songs up to a point.
you may Use Text'z Inverter plugin which can be found on this site... Probably need to be a pro user to obtain this plugin.

To get a proper (accapella) using this method.. the song and instrumentals must be exactly the same, plus they must be completely aligned and synced before you can get this... May not work for some genre especially reggae...(believe it has to do with how the music was engineered).

To actually do a remix using this method you may have to use a skin with more than two decks... or record to hard drive then use this new accapella on with another beat.

It may be best however to have the original accapella and simply mix it with the new instrumental in vdj.. now that works great. You can also use the key in virtual dj to ensure that accapella and instrumental are on the same note.

As for controllers... yes.. using them sure gives you hands on.. and does make a difference.. instead of using the mouse...... you could try the dmc2, dac3 (still works great) total control, rmx, etc.

you could also use your keyboard... yes your keyboard.. (attach it to the laptop)... set it up to manage both decks.. etc.... use your function keys as stop start... etc.... middle functions as faders etc... this is what i used for quite a while and trust me... worked great
no hitches... no glitches... of course (perception by other djs and employers may be the only down to this)

Posted Thu 04 Dec 08 @ 7:45 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)