Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: How to find corrupt mp3s ?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

aparsonPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hi all,

For the second time, VDJ crashed on me last night again. It's not VDJ fault I think, I strongly believe it's a faulty mp3 file that I tried to play.

Most likely it was the mp3 I was cueing on the deck that was not playing outside ( master ). The thing is that I can not recall wich song it was that created this crash since I was going through (listening over my headphone) a lot of songs when this happened.

By the way, Windows Vista just said that VDJ was not responding and then I had to shut down and re-start the program. I did not see a crashguard from VDJ on these 2 ocassions.

My question to the community is:

Is there a way or program that could scan my mp3s and let me know which ones are corrupted so I can get rid of them before they make VDJ crash again in the middle of a gig or song?

Luckly enough, last night the program crashed right at the end of the song that was playing out while people were dancing. Since Windows did not crashed, rebooting VDJ took less than a minute, but still...people noticed the "no music" gap regardless.

So far, this is the only issue that I have had in a gig.

Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated.

DJ LOBBO

Posted Sun 23 Nov 08 @ 7:00 pm
aparson wrote :

Is there a way or program that could scan my mp3s and let me know which ones are corrupted so I can get rid of them before they make VDJ crash again in the middle of a gig or song?

Yes, mp3Trim Pro, search for it on Google.

Drop a folder of mp3s on it and it is meant to trim the silence from the start and end of the mp3s. However, the big bonus is that it will give a report on all the mp3s and mark bad mp3s with bad or missing headers etc. Those dodgy mp3s can then be loaded into Sound Forge and then saved which effectively is a new mp3 file.

Been using this for years as part of my process routine for new mp3s before being used in any DJ program.
Cheers
www.deejayles.com

Posted Mon 24 Nov 08 @ 7:47 am
aparsonPRO InfinityMember since 2007
DJSoulman wrote :
aparson wrote :

Drop a folder of mp3s on it and it is meant to trim the silence from the start and end of the mp3s. However, the big bonus is that it will give a report on all the mp3s and mark bad mp3s with bad or missing headers etc. Those dodgy mp3s can then be loaded into Sound Forge and then saved which effectively is a new mp3 file.

Been using this for years as part of my process routine for new mp3s before being used in any DJ program.
Cheers
www.deejayles.com

Thanks a lot...I'll give it a try.

ap

Posted Mon 24 Nov 08 @ 8:58 am
I too can vouch for this - it's a fab bit of software!!

Posted Mon 24 Nov 08 @ 10:50 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
I recode all my Mp3's to CBR at 192 or 256Kbit with Sound Forge.

Posted Mon 24 Nov 08 @ 12:47 pm
DJ-ALF wrote :

excuse my ignorance CBR? what type of audio type is that? can it be only recoded with sound forge, or any other pro audio program would do?

thanks,

Mindtwister3d

Posted Mon 24 Nov 08 @ 1:21 pm
DJSoulman wrote :
aparson wrote :

Cheers
www.deejayles.com

DJSoulman, could you document that procedure step by step, in another thread? I didn't know you could do that. That is awesome. Thanks.

Posted Mon 24 Nov 08 @ 4:23 pm
mindtwister3d wrote :
DJ-ALF wrote :

excuse my ignorance CBR? what type of audio type is that? can it be only recoded with sound forge, or any other pro audio program would do?

thanks,

Mindtwister3d

Constant Bitrate, bare in mind it's a bad procedure to convert from MP3 to MP3 (or any lossy format to another). Also it is inadvisable to encode to CBR at these bitrates, VBR (Variable Bitrate) gives much better results. Generally, CBR is only used for 320kbps encodings as that's the maximum MP3 allows.

Posted Mon 24 Nov 08 @ 4:39 pm
ksandhuHome userMember since 2008
Can you only load 1 song at a time with this???? or the entire folder. This would be time consuming if you had 5000+ songs like I do

Posted Wed 26 Nov 08 @ 10:13 am
marcellodjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2006
DJSoulman wrote :

Drop a folder of mp3s on it and it is meant to trim the silence from the start and end of the mp3s. However...............

Posted Wed 26 Nov 08 @ 10:54 am
marcellodj wrote :
DJSoulman wrote :

Drop a folder of mp3s on it and it is meant to trim the silence from the start and end of the mp3s. However...............

LoL ... some people just dont read things!

Posted Wed 26 Nov 08 @ 12:07 pm
DJSoulman wrote :
aparson wrote :

Cheers
www.deejayles.com

Is this the app you are talking about? http://www.mptrim.com/

Posted Thu 04 Dec 08 @ 1:46 am
I found mp3 trim pro which seems to run batches. I ran it but I don't know how well it worked. I ran it on a folder that I could live with messing up (small christian rock collection). It seemed to trim stuff by the log. I really can't tell the difference. I am testing the files now and it seems to still carry some silence at the beginning. It did not pick up any bad files.

Posted Thu 04 Dec 08 @ 11:55 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)