Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Use full GPU-power to run audio-engine (CUDA)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

NVIDIA is developping a toolkit (current release is 1.1).
http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_get.html

It enables 3rd party developpers to expose the full proccessingpower of Nvidia-cards in order to run heavy-duty audio-proccessing (like master tempo and VST-plugins).

in other words: The NVIDIA grafix-cards can run VST-plugins (and other audio-proccessing tasks) which will unload the CPU!

There are some VST-plugins who already support CUDA (like Nebula 3).
http://www.acusticaudio.net/modules.php?name=Products&file=nebula3

It would be realy REALY awesome if VirtualDJ would support CUDA. Imagine how incredible smooth VDJ would run if the entire audio-engine (including the master-tempo and VST-plugins) was handled by a NVIDIA-gpu...

devteam.. please implement support for CUDA. it would make VDJ even more outstanding than other dj-packages.

Posted Fri 04 Apr 08 @ 4:02 am
Thing is even if you have a quad core, VDJ isn't utilizing it much. While you find x86 cpus in all laptops, even Mac ones, you don't find (single brand) GPU's and CUDA doesn't work with Intel/AMD GPUs. There are similar solutions that work with more than one GPU but as long as the target is laptop and not desktop it's more realistic to ask for VDJ to do different audio source processing in different CPUs/threads.

Another more realistic option is to license more optimized algorithm, I doubt the current uses any CPU optimizations like SSE.

Posted Tue 13 May 08 @ 12:42 pm
Well, to be honest, i didn't buy VDJ because of that, i'm playing in a big club and it is unacceptable to have low sound quality, especially with ragga/hiphp/r&b song which i can' play without the Master Tempo.
Make it like an ADD-ON only for nvidia owners and i will buy the laptop and the software just now......

Please, when are you planning to go to the real PRO level ???

Posted Fri 20 Feb 09 @ 2:46 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
dj_deadend wrote :
Well, to be honest, i didn't buy VDJ because of that, i'm playing in a big club and it is unacceptable to have low sound quality, especially with ragga/hiphp/r&b song which i can' play without the Master Tempo.
Make it like an ADD-ON only for nvidia owners and i will buy the laptop and the software just now......

Please, when are you planning to go to the real PRO level ???

I don't understand what you're asking?

I've no issues with the sound quality as long as you aren't using VDJs internal mixer...

I've also no issues with CPU; even master tempo doesn't seem to hit it up much...

Posted Fri 20 Feb 09 @ 5:17 pm
me either.. mine plays fine in a club environment.. and my laptop is 5 yrs old now.. still works beautifully (why are you using master tempo?, it is a resource using setting, it's not necessary) do you not know how to match music on your own?.. the software is GREAT as it is.. keep it simple and efficient, user friendly and ergonomic... T

Posted Sun 01 Mar 09 @ 9:43 am
hello again,
first, thanks for the replys
example
the CDJ-1000, hope you recognize, i don't know if i can put the maker's name.

Im using MasterTempo all the time because im mixing acapellas live, so if i don't put it on it looks like a kid is singing :D
and i do very fast mixing like always mixing intrumentals, pushing voices......
in an hour i mix like 40 songs and sometimes much more...

i've been testing VDJ on my friends's PCs, it is always coughing and lagging....... especially when im scratching through TCVs

my point is, how a chip in a CD player can outperform a core2duo CPU ????????

for 3 years i love the software and i can't work with it.........that's why i didn't buy it
it is better than any on the market but still incomplete

it is a pity that it can't be a STANDARD for djs before 2020

If CUDA is outperforming cpus in many tasks, why you guys don't implement it in your software ?????

i wish that one day i will throw that HEAVY HW and just have a lappy and the NS7..........

Posted Sun 08 Mar 09 @ 1:43 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
dj_deadend wrote :
how a chip in a CD player can outperform a core2duo CPU ????????

Its not the program, or the PC. It is the interface your using...What soundcard are you using, and what are those settings?

Posted Sun 08 Mar 09 @ 2:09 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
dj_deadend wrote :

i've been testing VDJ on my friends's PCs, it is always coughing and lagging....... especially when im scratching through TCVs

Then your friend has the wrong performance setting or his Asio buffer is set wrong.

Posted Sun 08 Mar 09 @ 2:41 pm
dj_deadend wrote :

Its not the program, or the PC. It is the interface your using...What soundcard are you using, and what are those settings?

Audio 8 and MAYA44 (ESI one)

Posted Sun 08 Mar 09 @ 6:57 pm
dj_deadend wrote :
dj_deadend wrote :

Audio 8 and MAYA44 (ESI one)

they are absolutley right.. the soundcard buffer settings and latency configs are 99% of your problem.. and if you are using ASIO drivers then it can be fine tuned (depending on your sound card) play around with the "atomatic" pre sets (fast, quality etc etc..) and if you have the ability to fine tune the pre set by manualy setting buffer and latency then play around with it.. if you google asio4all, they have a great tutorial on how to set up your soundcard and what each setting actually is and does to help you get a better grip on the settings and what you can change etc.. its a good tool to have (plus they have drivers that might be in your benefit, there are many oppinions on them either way but their tutorial is excelent regardless..) hope it helps.. T

Posted Mon 09 Mar 09 @ 11:31 am
Thanks a lot for the tips, i was trying but may i didn't have enough time

i'm thinking to go on Mac, as ""everybody"" is saying that it is better (i mean the OSX)

if you can try it, just put a song at +11% on the pitch, with the MTempo on and scratch with it loading another track, it is my problem, always lagging...

as i work on IT, i tuned a fresh XP to the max but sure it is not OS problem.

I see only the results of CUDA on other softwares (PowerDirector 7 & Photoshop) it is AMAZING....

hope DEV guys can focus on it

thank you :D

Posted Mon 09 Mar 09 @ 11:49 am
Whats your CPU utilisation whilst you are having this problem, and what CPU do you have? Perhaps it's time for you to spend some money!

Posted Mon 09 Mar 09 @ 12:38 pm
dj_deadend wrote :
Thanks a lot for the tips, i was trying but may i didn\'t have enough time

i\'m thinking to go on Mac, as \"\"everybody\"\" is saying that it is better (i mean the OSX)

if you can try it, just put a song at +11% on the pitch, with the MTempo on and scratch with it loading another track, it is my problem, always lagging...

as i work on IT, i tuned a fresh XP to the max but sure it is not OS problem.

I see only the results of CUDA on other softwares (PowerDirector 7 & Photoshop) it is AMAZING....

hope DEV guys can focus on it

thank you :D

MAC is not necessaraly \"better\"... mac\'s run smoother for one reason and one reason only.. their os is specific to the mac and the pc has 10-12 different manufacturers so the os has bigger tollerences in it to accomodate all the manufacturers.. BUT a well tuned pc (xp preferably) will run just as smooth if not smoother than a mac (i\'m not saying mac is bad, just that the tripple in price for the same thing is not justafyable..) AND there is a tutorial on performance tips and tricks in this forum that is EXCELENT and very easy to follow.. so the options are this, you read the suggestions in the forum and save a bundle of cash and learn a whole lot in the process or you can take the \"easy\" expensive way out and spend the $2-5000 on a mac book and hope that it fixes the problem..
I personaly use a hp pavillion zv5000 (comming up on 5 yrs old) with xp sp3, amd 64 processor, 1.5 gig ram and a few hrs of tuning (using the guide in the forum) and it has run problem free for the almost 5 yrs i\'ve had it now.. and i play 10-12 hr marathon sets when i play, and it still doesnt blink an eye.. granted it may be frustrating at first but i assure you the end result is well worth it!!.. T
(i stand behind my pc so strongly that i make fun of the mac on the cover..lol note the apple core i had made)

Posted Mon 09 Mar 09 @ 1:18 pm

Posted Fri 13 Mar 09 @ 12:15 pm
Or people could just buy computers that are up to the tasks they are trying to perform ;)

Posted Fri 13 Mar 09 @ 1:13 pm
The purpose is to make it cheaper than 2 standard pro "cd players"
that COMPANY made it and we can find only their players eeeevery where.............
i want go above that and VDJ can do it, when you put more than 2500$..............

Posted Fri 20 Mar 09 @ 4:32 pm
It would be really impressive if VirtualDJ can implement this CUDA technology. More and more programs are going to use this way. and it really makes things possible... i cant even imagine.

Posted Thu 16 Apr 09 @ 3:30 am
hahah what cuda? u need awesome gfx card for that...which most of us with integrated ones in laptops dont have...so the best thing is to do what serato did,and what my sources from torq said that torq is going to do...use opengl to render it

Posted Thu 16 Apr 09 @ 4:06 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)