Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: PCMCIA USB 2 Card - Will any suffer any loss in data transfer rates?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi All

I'm thinking about getting a PCMCIA Card with a couple of USB 2 connections in it.

What i'm not sure about is if i will still get full data transfer rates with these USB2 slots as if i my Laptop just had two extra USB slots when manufactured?

Or will there be a bottle neck on the motherboard somewhere?

I'm currently using a USB hub, but this obviously shares the data flow of a USB slot between any devices plugged into the hub.
If the pcmcia solution does the same i may as well stick with the hub!

Posted Sun 20 Jan 08 @ 10:30 am
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
The PCMCIA Cardbus slot is approx 700mb/s transfer and is attached directly to the data bus. USB2 is approx. half that speed, so no there will be no bottleneck on your machine and no hit on performance. Not to make assumptions, but will you connect a soundcard to this? Why not just buy a Cardbus type soundcard which will utilize the databus much better than USB could ever do? You get much lower latency settings from Cardbus.

Secondly, make sure you actually have Cardbus. If your laptop is new within the last 2 years, chances are you dont have cardbus, you have expresscard which is the never version and not backwards compatible as cardbus is a pin-type and expresscard is slot type (the end of the card, that is). It looks the same size but its not the same as expresscard is approx 4 times faster than cardbus.

Lastly, PCMCIA is not the type which is a common misconception. PCMCIA is the standards company which created the cardbus and expresscard standard.

Posted Sun 20 Jan 08 @ 9:31 pm
Paz75 wrote :
The PCMCIA Cardbus slot is approx 700mb/s transfer and is attached directly to the data bus. USB2 is approx. half that speed, so no there will be no bottleneck on your machine and no hit on performance. Not to make assumptions, but will you connect a soundcard to this? Why not just buy a Cardbus type soundcard which will utilize the databus much better than USB could ever do? You get much lower latency settings from Cardbus.

Secondly, make sure you actually have Cardbus. If your laptop is new within the last 2 years, chances are you dont have cardbus, you have expresscard which is the never version and not backwards compatible as cardbus is a pin-type and expresscard is slot type (the end of the card, that is). It looks the same size but its not the same as expresscard is approx 4 times faster than cardbus.

Lastly, PCMCIA is not the type which is a common misconception. PCMCIA is the standards company which created the cardbus and expresscard standard.

Thanks Paz75

I have the cardbus type. I've just bought a DJ/IO, so don't really want to buy another soundcard (I also have the MK2 too).

Basically i have 3 devices to plug in (but only 2 usb slots), the DJi/o, Ext Hard Drive and the Numark Total Control.

Out of those the NTC would need the least band width, so if i buy the USB2 cardbus, which device should i plug in where?

Posted Mon 21 Jan 08 @ 4:10 am
Digimixer, I use a 2 slot USB 2.0 PCMCIA cardbus with my old notebook that only has 2 USB 1.0 slots. The card work great I connect my external USB hard drive and external Soundcarda (ESI U46) and no problem. But I have to use externa power supply for the hard drive because my notebook cant supply enough power to the card. But reggarding bottleneck, i have no problem, but i must say that I dont do video.

By

Posted Mon 21 Jan 08 @ 7:47 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)