Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: VDJ + Korg Zero 4 - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to know if there any users out there using a Korg Zero 4 with Virtual Dj and Timecode Vinyl. I do so and I wanted to open up a thread so people can share some experiences in configuring Timecode Vinyl, Midi-capabilities, issues they are having and so on.

Official Homepage Korg Zero 4: http://www.korg.com/gear/prod_info.asp?a_prod_no=Zero4&category_id=2

Currently i configured Virtual Dj and the Zero 4 and the Timecode Vinyl is running and works somehow. But I get 0 % Timecode Vinyl Quality in Virtual Dj. Has anyone experienced the same?

Another issue is that in Virtual Dj the waveform of the tracks keep slightly movin (left and right) even if there is no timecode running on my TT´s. I´m doing some more tests today and keep you informed about my findings. I currently haven´t configured the midi yet.

Hope to hear some experience from other users.

Best regards
Marcel

Posted Tue 01 Jan 08 @ 4:28 am
Well., I am buying this mixer to use timecode cds along with mixing video. I have heard that alot of people have had succes. I am still willing to buy it.

Posted Thu 03 Jan 08 @ 3:25 am
MarspPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I think I will buy this mixer too if it works with timecodevinyls. but i do not know how i can help you sorry.. did you try to play around a little bit with the timecode settings? maybe activate riaa preamp? are your tt's grounded? drivers correctly installed? correct soundcard in virtual dj settings selected?
greetz

Posted Thu 03 Jan 08 @ 4:20 am
Marsp wrote :
I think I will buy this mixer too if it works with timecodevinyls. but i do not know how i can help you sorry.. did you try to play around a little bit with the timecode settings? maybe activate riaa preamp? are your tt's grounded? drivers correctly installed? correct soundcard in virtual dj settings selected?
greetz

Thanks for response. I didn´t have time to play around with the mixer and VDJ settings. I´ll take a deeper look into it at the weekend and keep you guys informed. Maybe I´ll even take a little video if can find my video cam.

Posted Thu 03 Jan 08 @ 4:26 pm
I just wanted to give a short update on this topic. In the meatime I configured the Zero 4 and everything is running perfectly.

Timecode Vinyl gets 100 % Signal. The soundcard inside the Zero 4 is a huge improvement. Crystal clear sound and perfect latency. No comparison to my previous Soundcard (Maya 44 USB and my Behringer DJX 700).

Midi ist also working and easy to use.

Posted Mon 11 Feb 08 @ 2:07 pm
gozuHome userMember since 2008
I hope to pick up this mixer later this week. I shall let you know my experiences :)

Posted Tue 19 Feb 08 @ 6:45 pm
I was considering the Nuo4 and a new sound card, but when I heard that the Zero4 had a built in sound card I decided it was the better way to go.

Pachtyman, if yours is working perfectly, would you mind helping me out if I run into setup issues. I've been into computers (fixing, building, etc) for about 15 years and DJing for almost 30 years (wow I'm getting old). The reason I mention this is so that you know it shouldn't be a major challenge with the newbie questions.

By the way, stay away from the Audio8 sound card until they make more improvements. It's a great sound card but when you put deep bass through it, sometimes it crackles. Their tech support has not figured out how to fix it yet.

Posted Thu 28 Feb 08 @ 10:28 am
NoDoubtDJs wrote :
I was considering the Nuo4 and a new sound card, but when I heard that the Zero4 had a built in sound card I decided it was the better way to go.

Pachtyman, if yours is working perfectly, would you mind helping me out if I run into setup issues. I've been into computers (fixing, building, etc) for about 15 years and DJing for almost 30 years (wow I'm getting old). The reason I mention this is so that you know it shouldn't be a major challenge with the newbie questions.

By the way, stay away from the Audio8 sound card until they make more improvements. It's a great sound card but when you put deep bass through it, sometimes it crackles. Their tech support has not figured out how to fix it yet.

Hi NoDoubtDJs!

I can help if you´re running into setup issues. No problem!

Posted Thu 28 Feb 08 @ 1:56 pm
Pachtyman,

I finally have my Zero 4. This setup wasn't as simple as I had hoped. I'm having problems getting my timecoded CDs to control VDJ.

I have my CD players plugged in to the CD inputs. The only way that VDJ will see them is if I switch to CD/Line on the Input Selector. When I do that, all I get is the timecode signal going through my speakers and not the music. When I switch over to one of the MIDI options, I can play music and use the mixer to control VDJ but my TCCD doesn't work.

How do I get both to work?

Posted Thu 13 Mar 08 @ 6:51 pm
I think I found the problem. I found out that Korg had a firmware upgrade. Once I ran that, my problem cleared.

This mixer is sweet. Now I think I'm ready to give up my trial version of VDJ for the real thing.

Posted Thu 13 Mar 08 @ 11:03 pm
I'm stuck again. I thought everything was set the same as yesterday. It seems that the TCCD sound isn't making it to the computer. I've been at this for hours and I can't replicate what I did yesterday.

Posted Fri 14 Mar 08 @ 9:29 pm
I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough and post their settings here or maybe where we can download the settings for ZERO 4. I have burned 2 timecode cd's and installed the VDJ.

Any suggestions how I can make my Zero 4 work as a soundcard and a mixer at the same time.

I have 2 CDJ800 and a Korg Zero4 and a duo core laptop. hooked via firewire.

Posted Fri 14 Mar 08 @ 11:27 pm
NoDoubtDJs wrote :
I'm stuck again. I thought everything was set the same as yesterday. It seems that the TCCD sound isn't making it to the computer. I've been at this for hours and I can't replicate what I did yesterday.

I´ll try to give a step by step how to do manual.......

1. Have you installed the drivers for Zero 4?
2. Connect Zero4 to your computer after you installed everything. Is the zero 4 recognized by the computer? The Firewire light should light up.
3. Plug-in your CD-Players into Line-in of the Zero 4 (important!! --> Connect Player 1 with Channel 1 and player 2 with Channel 2 on the mixer) Channel 3 and 4 on the mixer can´t be used for timecode!). I use Vinyl so my Turntables are plugged in the Phono-in of the mixer. So i think your CD-Player should be plugged into the Line-in. Maybe
4. Switch Channel-Input selectors on your zero to "Audio"
5. Start VDJ --> go to config Timecode ---> start your CD-Player ---> press Auto Config.
6. If Auto-Config doesn´t work do it manually.
7. It should be working now.

djgorkhali wrote :
I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough and post their settings here or maybe where we can download the settings for ZERO 4. I have burned 2 timecode cd's and installed the VDJ.

Any suggestions how I can make my Zero 4 work as a soundcard and a mixer at the same time.

I have 2 CDJ800 and a Korg Zero4 and a duo core laptop. hooked via firewire.

There is now setting you can download. Try the step step manual above. Maybe you also have some Problems because of the demo Version of Virtual Dj you are using. I think Timecode Vinyl and CD is limited in the Demo Version. So you can only use it for 5 minutes to test it out. Then it will stop working and you have to restart VDJ

Best regards

Posted Sat 15 Mar 08 @ 11:56 am
Thanks for the info Pachtyman. I think I have it working almost perfectly now. I discovered that my problem was coming from the Zero Edit software. In my many hours of searching the internet and testing that Channel 1 & 2 fader curves should be at 0 or 1. This is my first MIDI device so I don't know much about what it is doing but it seems to work.

My only problem now is that when I setup the VDJ MIDI interface to use the mixer's crossfader, I lose the ability to use the headphones in the opposite channel. If I turn that off, it works great. This is an issue since I plan on mixing videos and need to control the software's crossfader. Do you have this problem? I guess I'll be purchasing now to become an official user and get out of the "no license" category.

If you have any suggestions I would love to hear them. Otherwise, I'll see if the real version has this issue and contact the support group if it does.

djgorkhali,

Get a chair and your reading glasses. This may get long. I'll post everything I remember. Some of this will be duplicating what Pachtyman wrote.

1. Install the software and drivers that come with the mixer. Both Zero4 and Zero Edit.
2. Connect Zero4 to your computer and verify that firewire the light comes on.
3. Connect your CD players to the CD/Line connections of Channels 1 & 2
4. Change the channel Input Selectors for channels 1 & 2 to "Audio" (You can also choose Audio+MIDI or MIDI if you need to control the software from the mixer)
5. Start VDJ and choose the soundcard setup.
6. Make sure you choose "Timecodes", "External Mixer", "ASIO" sound card, "KORG ASIO Driver", and both your input and output channels are set correctly.
7. Choose "ASIO Config" and make sure your "sample rate" is set to 44.1 KHz
8. Choose "Timecode Config" and make sure CD is selected.
9. Start your CD player with the TCCD and then choose Auto-config.

That should get you running. If you still can't get it to work, keep reading. You will need to make some changes in Zero Edit.

10. Close VDJ. You will need to close VDJ everytime you make a change in Zero Edit for the changes to take.
11. Make sure the mixer is turned on with the firewire light illuminated.
12. Start the Zero Edit softare. It will read the settings in from the mixer.
13. Choose File+Save As and save your current settings (this way you can get back to the way it is now if needed)
14. Choose the "Fader" Setting tab.
15. For Ch1 Fader & Ch2 Fader, set the Position to 127 and the Curve to 0. Double-click on the numbers to change them.
16. Choose the "Audio I/O Setting" tab.
17. Select the "Pre EQ" preset (on the left side)
18. In the "Pre EQ" area make sure each channel is pointing to the correct line (i.e. channel 1 = "1L + 1R", channel 2 = "2L + 2R")
19. Make sure "MASTER" reads "5L + 5R"
20. Make sure "BUS A" & "BUS B" point to "6L + 6R" & "7L + 7R" respectively
21. Make sure "FX OUT" reads "8L + 8R"
22. Choose File+Save As and save your current settings (this way you can always get these settings back easily)

I know this is a lot to read but it should get you to a point where everything is working.

Posted Sat 15 Mar 08 @ 4:23 pm
NoDoubtDJs wrote :
My only problem now is that when I setup the VDJ MIDI interface to use the mixer's crossfader, I lose the ability to use the headphones in the opposite channel. If I turn that off, it works great. This is an issue since I plan on mixing videos and need to control the software's crossfader. Do you have this problem? I guess I'll be purchasing now to become an official user and get out of the "no license" category.

I don´t have this problem as I don´t use Video. But I´ll try to redproduce this issue and see if I find a work around. But if I understand you correctly you loose the possibility of prelistening with headphones if you use the mixer´s crossfader for video? Maybe you could assign the linefader of Channel 4 for Crossfading Videos?

B.t.w nice to see you as pro user :)

Posted Sun 16 Mar 08 @ 4:59 am
Pachtyman wrote :
I don´t have this problem as I don´t use Video. But I´ll try to redproduce this issue and see if I find a work around. But if I understand you correctly you loose the possibility of prelistening with headphones if you use the mixer´s crossfader for video? Maybe you could assign the linefader of Channel 4 for Crossfading Videos?

B.t.w nice to see you as pro user :)

It does it with both audio and video. As soon as I start moving the crossfader, the headphones drop out. Thanks for your help. I'm currently rebuilding my laptop so it's clean and doesn't have any "Trial version" residue laying around. I'll try reassigning the crossfader when I reinstall.

BTW, what is the latest version. I have 5.0.7 but I've seen people in other threads talking about 5.6.

Posted Sun 16 Mar 08 @ 8:49 am
Latest Version is 5.0.7

Maybe in the other threads they talked about Version 5.0.6 sometimes called Version 5 rev 6.

Posted Sun 16 Mar 08 @ 10:32 am
Thanks for that clarification. At least I have the newest version.

OK, I have figured out what the problem is but not the solution (my crossfader issue). When VDJ starts the internal crossfader is in the middle. It is then sending music from channels one and two in VDJ to channels one and two on the mixer. Usually my mixer crossfader is either on the left or right (never in the middle). This is why everything seems OK. Both channels are getting full signal. As soon as I move my crossfader, the MIDI software tells VDJ the exact position of the mixer crossfader and then it adjusts VDJs internal crossfader to match. Now, since the VDJ internal crossfader is all the way to one side, it is not sending the PFL signal to the mixer.

I did some looking in the forum and I couldn't find a clear answer for any mixer. I hope you have solved this. How do I listen to one channel in my headphones while the other channel is being played through my speakers?

I can set the internal mixer to the middle position and then set another control to mix the video signal but I shouldn't have to do that. Surely they couldn't have overlooked something this simple during the design stages (or the updates).

Posted Sun 16 Mar 08 @ 2:59 pm
Hi NoDoubtDjs!

I didn´t have time to try around. I´ll try tomorrow evening after work.

What I don´t exactly understand is why Audio prelistening doesn´t work on your mixer. Here is how I do the job.

1. Channel 1 and Channel 2 on my Zero are in "Audio" Mode.
2. Internal crossfader within VDJ is in the middle.
3. Crossfader on my Zero is always in the middle (for bringing in the music i then use the Linefader of Channel 1 or 2)

Here´s an example: Let´s say you have music playing on Channel 1 (Linefader up) so you hear the music on your speakers. Now you wanna prelisten Channel 2. So you start playing the music on Deck 2 within VDJ = Channel 2 on your mixer. The Linefader on Channel 2 is down. For prelistening (I hope Headphones are plugged into your mixer :) ) just click the "Cue" Button on Channel 2 (it will light up) and you should be able to hear Channel 2 in your headphones. Check if the "Monitor Balance" Control at the far right on your mixer is set to "Cue" or Cue Split" or "Master" just as you like to dj. Also make sure Volume knob below the "monitor Balance" control is turned up.

So you wrote that your crossfader is either on the left or right. So you use the crossfader for fading in and out the Channel 1 and 2? That means Linefader are always up?! In this case it should also work as I described before. When the crossfader is all the way left and you wanna prelisten Deck 2 then you just press the "Cue" Button on Channel 2 of the mixer and you should be able to hear Deck 2 in your headphones while Deck 1 is coming out of your speakers. If you now fade to the other Channel with crossfader make sure that the Crossfader on your zero is not midi mapped to the internal crossfader of Virtual dj. That´s why i wrote the Channel 1 and 2 should be switched to "Audio" in the beginning.

As I said I´ll give it a try with video tomorrow evening. I´m not experienced at video stuff as I´m an audio only dj.

Posted Sun 16 Mar 08 @ 4:08 pm
Thanks for the effort. I really appreciate it.

Mine works fine just as you described it. The problem is the internal crossfader being in the middle. To mix videos (or music using the internal mixer) it has to move from side to side. When I switch to the internal mixer skin, there is a PFL button. It does nothing as far as I can tell.

Thanks again for your help.

Posted Sun 16 Mar 08 @ 4:17 pm
57%