Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Vestax VCI-100 Jogweels - Working XML file

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Kio-GHome userMember since 2007
Hi guys and girls!

I've recently bought a Vestax VCI-100 USB MIDI Controller [AMAZING piece of kit!] and i've been scouring the internet for a solution for the jog wheels and Virtual DJ but with little luck :(

So last night i decided to try it myself. I downloaded Asymptote's XML file that has already mapped all the controls of the VCI-100 to VDJ [good job mate!], and then i had been experimenting with different responses and signals sent from the DJ controller to VDJ, and studying the XML file that is generated by VDJ.

If you want the jogwheels to work, please ADD these two lines to Asymptote's XML file (you can download it from the External Tools section of this website:

<ctrl ctrl="16" mode="encoder" encodermode="1" action="jogwheel" chan="1" increments="20" />
<ctrl ctrl="17" mode="encoder" encodermode="1" action="jogwheel" chan="2" increments="20" />

The two lines of code ABOVE, go UNDER the following lines of code BELOW:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?>
<midi version="5" date="09/09/2007">

So you end up with:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?>
<midi version="5" date="09/09/2007">
<ctrl ctrl="16" mode="encoder" encodermode="1" action="jogwheel" chan="1" increments="20" />
<ctrl ctrl="17" mode="encoder" encodermode="1" action="jogwheel" chan="2" increments="20" />

NOTE: the "date" variable may be different on your machine. This is normal.

Please note that this will enable the metal part of the jogwheels to become responsive [so make sure your responsiveness is set correctly], but unfortunatly i have not managed to find a way to use the glass bit around the jog wheel to act as a "nudge". I even tried tricking VDJ into doing it by manually tweeking the XML file but with no luck.

This is because the metal part of the jogwheel sends CTRL signals which send MUCH more data about the movement of the jogwheel, where as the glass bit around the jogwheel only sends NOTE, which does not carry data about the movement of the jogwheel, and only sends a signal when it has started moving and stopped - but nothing in between.

So if anyone wants to scratch you can now do this, or if you want to use the jogwheels to search or position a song at the beginning - this is now possible. But unfortunatly as i have mentioned above, i have not yet found a way to get the "nudge" working. When and if i do - i will post an update, otherwise it looks like it may be up to the programmers at Atomix to sort this one out.

Let me know what you think!

Kio-G

Posted Sun 09 Sep 07 @ 4:42 pm
Kio-GHome userMember since 2007
LOL i've just noticed that someone else has already done it and published it in the External Tools section. It won't let me download it though because i've not got a liscence. I've been using the Demo because the website payment system is not letting my buy the software :(

Posted Sun 09 Sep 07 @ 4:50 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)