Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Final Scratch

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

How does Vdj time coded vinyl compare to final scratch? Pros and cons.

Posted Tue 21 Sep 04 @ 1:05 am
There is lots of info on these forums both pros and cons. Please try to search a little.

Posted Tue 21 Sep 04 @ 1:09 am
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003

Posted Tue 21 Sep 04 @ 1:11 am
I tried to post in the “FS VS VDJ” thread, but the site kept logging me out. Therefore, I’ll post my opinion here to the following response by Keyon:

“it seems in the U.S, vdj hasn't had a lot of penetration as far as brand awareness. lots familiar with PCDJ or at least heard of it while vdj doesn't register with folks much. Course, pcdj been out a lot longer and obviously deeper pockets for marketing.”

I agree with the first part of this statement, “it seems in the U.S, vdj hasn't had a lot of penetration as far as brand awareness.” One inexpensive way VDJ can become as known in the USA as PCDJ is by selling its software through a retailer like Radio Shack. Since I live in the USA, I know that most DJ’s here have been to Radio Shack many times to buy some kind of DJ accessory—new DJ’s especially who are likely to try VDJ. As a matter of fact, I have never met a DJ who hasn’t been there. Consequently, this would be the best way to expose VDJ to the USA market in my opinion.

VDJ could also get certain USA VDJ’s to demonstrate their software at various DJ expos here. The software is solid, inexpensive, and innovative enough to compete with any DJ software on the market. Therefore, exposing VDJ to more American DJ’s is the key to its success here. Prosound (pssl.com) is a huge mail order DJ equipment company the VDJ should consider selling its product through also. Another idea would be to download some of the wallpapers and use transfer paper to put these designs on clothing (consider adding the website address to the designs). We could also have a transfer paper library specifically for providing designs that help advertise the product on clothing. Here’s an example of transfer paper: http://www.proworldinc.com/store/productsearchgrid.asp?f=2&k=inkjet

The second part of this post I disagree with: “lots familiar with PCDJ or at least heard of it while vdj doesn't register with folks much. Course, pcdj been out a lot longer and obviously deeper pockets for marketing.” I (and some other VDJ Users) know that PCDJ doesn’t have a big marketing budget; members of the company have admitted this. However, the company has made the most of its marketing opportunities (like the joint venture with Numark). VDJ has to have the same type of marketing tenacity if it’s going to significantly penetrate the USA market.

OO

Posted Tue 21 Sep 04 @ 6:20 am
I forgot to mention in my above post that you can purchase Final Scratch, PCDJ, and Traktor from Prosound. Why not add VDJ to the list?

OO

Posted Tue 21 Sep 04 @ 6:41 am
ProtoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
VDJ time coded vinyl is much, much better than FS. I did a comparision between VDJ + Dvinyl and FS and VDJ was better. Time coded vinyl is better than Dvinyl so you do the math ;-).

Posted Tue 21 Sep 04 @ 9:22 am
good to hear...

I have also read at other multi-software dj forums that they all think VDJ timecode is a lot better, more accurate and less latency than other solution...

and thats a GREAT score for VDJ developers... ;) being better that the industry leaders says a lot!!! go-go-go VDJ ;)

Posted Tue 21 Sep 04 @ 1:58 pm
docPRO InfinityMember since 2020
I have FS, don't have good comments about it. I see they have a new version out now too. I am ordering VDJ digital vinyl this weekend. Can't wait to see the difference. I'm sure VDJ is superior. As far as marketing, I also with VDJ did more, however, it is good for us who knows about it. We have the upper hand over other dj's.

Posted Wed 22 Sep 04 @ 3:25 am
What soundcard is recommended to use with the time coded vinyl?

I use a lunchbox so PCI is the way. Is it possible to use a 4 input soundcard?

I do not have any free pci slots.

Posted Thu 23 Sep 04 @ 4:23 am
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
M-audio makes alot of soundcards with 4+ inputs, although they are alittle expencive they are one of the best sounding cards i've ever heard

Try going to www.m-audio.com and having a look around, there are also alot of good deals for these on Ebay.

i own a Delta 410 (4 inputs and 10 outputs however 2 of these inputs and 2 of the outputs are digital, i use the digital output from one cd and analogue from the other) they do make cards with more analogue inputs aswell such as the Delta 44 this is the one i'd probably recomend it has 4 inputs and 4 outputs (2X2 stereo), and is a PCI card with a breakout box.

there are also some cards from M-Audio using the Firewire interface if you are lacking PCI slots.

The Delta 44's go on ebay for approx $150 USD and the Delta 410's go for about $99 USD.
not sure about the firewire ones price wise but just visit the website

Posted Thu 23 Sep 04 @ 8:46 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)