Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: A freaking awesome night out with COLDCUT & VirtualDJ!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Last night I went to a gig with Coldcut, and was there with them rigging up their stuff before the gig started. And to my suprise all they used on stage was 4 turntables with VDJ timecode, and two laptops with VDJ, it was a 100% pure VDJ show... With midi mixers crossfading video, and midi trigger keypad to jump cues, etc

They where using video samples and cue's triggered by keypad, and making beats live.. by hitting triggers, and scratching video samples on top.. Pluss had a great MC rapper that was doing vocals on top... Just an AMAZING SHOW!! it totally blew me away, made me speachless... And it was 100% done in VDJ, and the crowd was loving it! Including me..

This is taking VDJ to the extreme, and what creative use... Thank God for Coldcut, these guys are priceless ;))

Coldcut - Live

Coldcut - Live 2

True Skool

Posted Tue 01 May 07 @ 4:02 pm
Great stuff. Good to see ColdCut still going so strong after over 20 years. Plus VDJ users too. Shows what good taste they have.!!

Posted Tue 01 May 07 @ 4:14 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Yes, great party and usage of VDJ! Really Pro!

Posted Tue 01 May 07 @ 4:18 pm
kheyoPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
Many samples I heard on this videos are old Coldcut samples at 1000%. Thanksss Rune for the good time spent in watching us : so many souvenirs dear !!! Gosh 20 years !!! :/P

Posted Tue 01 May 07 @ 5:44 pm
Ah... I missed out on this one (was in town and everything). Pretty insane that they only used VDJ. Most artist use Ableton for live stuff.

Posted Tue 01 May 07 @ 6:36 pm
just out of curiosity, you say they were running only virtual DJ, and were using midi triggered video samples?

how were they doing that? Is this a feature I have completely missed? I'll kick myself...

I've wanted video samples forever.....

how were they pulling that off with Virtual DJ?

thanks!

-Steve

Posted Tue 01 May 07 @ 6:53 pm

Coldcut uses lots of video samples, with lots of cue points in the sample. And use a midi trigger finger pad to jump to cues, or jump to drum kicks in the video and similar, to make beats and effects.
Like this :

Coldcut have always been pioneers of DJing, and have been kings of sample use since the 80s (audio samples). Now they are using video samples the same way, with VDJ, and midi, pluss timecode vinyls (3rd gen!! by the way..hehe).

And yeah, Sjur, I was pretty amazed too, that it was ONLY VirtualDJ on stage, NOTHING else was used. And a great time with them, super cool guys. And amazing show..

Posted Tue 01 May 07 @ 7:30 pm
matt_blackPRO InfinityDJ ColdCutMember since 2006
thanks yall for the props and esp to Rune for the support. I can confirm Coldcut are currently using vdj only (with pioneer dvjs as a backup!), and using tcv for scratching. I hope to post some video from the new show soon.

we use midi percussion controllers eg padkontrol and trigger finger to jump to cues in video clips, so a video clip can be divided by cues into an 'av percussion bank' effectively.

we discussed at some length with Rune the performance and stability issues of vdj that urgently need attention. The fact that we are playing to large audiences sharpens the stress of crashes and problems, but anyone using vdj professionally (or even at a great party for friends!) no doubt feels the same...we need solid performance. Of course , doing such demanding apps on the PC is a real coding challenge. He is confident that these issues are being addressed as priority. We shall see!

All the best to the vdj community from Coldcut. Hold tight, this scene is going all the way.
Love
Matt

Posted Wed 02 May 07 @ 4:31 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
That sounds fantasic!!

Posted Wed 02 May 07 @ 5:07 pm

Posted Mon 07 May 07 @ 4:20 am

True ;) they where amazing already in 1986 with that remix.. and the video was a pioneer video of effects and samples.. as well as the remix

still LOVE that remix :)

Posted Mon 07 May 07 @ 7:07 pm
norway, OT but have you heared the uk mix? its on the B side of move the crowd with the coldcut mix? Its 5:14 or so and has the John Mellencamp - Jack and Diane sample??

Posted Mon 07 May 07 @ 11:37 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)