Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: The wow starts now! : Considerations to make before installing vista

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Vista Check list :)

1. does your machine meet the requirements?

A Windows Vista Capable PC includes at least:

A modern processor (at least 800MHz¹).

512 MB of system memory.

A graphics processor that is DirectX 9 capable.

Windows Vista Premium Ready PCs
Some Windows Vista Capable PCs have been designated Premium Ready. These PCs will provide an even better Windows Vista experience, including the Windows Aero user experience. Features available in specific premium editions of Windows Vista, such as the ability to watch and record live TV, may require additional hardware.

A Windows Vista Premium Ready PC includes at least:

1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor¹).

1 GB of system memory.

Support for DirectX 9 graphics with a WDDM driver, 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)², Pixel Shader 2.0 and 32 bits per pixel.

40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.

DVD-ROM Drive³.

Audio output capability.

Internet access capability.

Read all of the Windows Vista Capable footnotes.

Can the Windows Vista experience vary on different PCs?
Yes. Windows Vista is the first Windows operating system with a user experience that adapts to take advantage of the capabilities of the hardware on which it is installed.

All Windows Vista Capable PCs will be able to run at least the core experiences of Windows Vista.

All Windows Vista Premium Ready PCs can deliver even better Windows Vista experiences, including the new Windows Aero user experience.

2. are all of your devices supported?
check it out with this tool

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradeadvisor.mspx

sadly oldersoundcards such as the u46dj are not all supported in vista ,

3. do i realy need vista
consider what you will get out of it ..

here are its features
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/default.mspx
http://showusyourwow.msn.com/

4.clean install or upgrade?

check the chart

each disk contains ultimate edition of vista the edition you recive is based on your licence key

so ie if you buy home , your ultimate copy will be locked to home unless you upgrade

however cracks will surely be released for this soon. seems flawed personaly

most users who have tried it already recomend a fresh install.

So if you have decided to procede with an upgrade check this

Prepare for Your Vista Upgrade:
Before you upgrade your unsuspecting computer to the new Windows, you need to prep it. You should perform a backup and engage in some routine maintenance to make the upgrade as smooth as possible.

Back up your files.
This is not optional. You really need to perform a backup, and check it (some of us found this part out the hard way), before you proceed. Vista is new, and although it underwent the most sweeping beta program in the history of Windows, there may be undocumented incompatibilities galore. An operating system upgrade isn't something to take lightly; it could, potentially, hose your hard drive.
Use your favorite backup program to back up virtually everything that you can't restore from installation media. You don't necessarily have to create a full system backup—although it's not a bad idea—as long as you make backups of things like finances, documents, digital photos, game saves, music, homemade videos, and so on.

Consider creating a full system backup or an image of your hard drive in its current state, if you have space on an external hard drive or a network share. If something goes awry, you can simply restore the backup or image. If you only back up your data, you'll have to completely reinstall your OS, your applications, drivers, and everything else you need. That process can easily wipe out a day or two.

Purge your system.
Next, get rid of anything you don't need. Uninstall applications you haven't opened in the past year and will never use again. Run Disk Cleanup and do away with stuff like temporary files and installation files for updates. Check your download folders for installation files of programs you installed long ago. Consider archiving data that you haven't used in some time to removable media such as writeable DVDs, and then removing it from your system's hard drive. If you haven't cleaned up your hard drive in a while, this is the time to do it.
Uninstall your antivirus program.
Some antivirus programs have issues with system upheavals, including installing a new operating system. Even if you're absolutely sure your antivirus program is Windows Vista–compatible, uninstall (or at least disable) it before you proceed. If you know it's not Vista compatible, get rid of it entirely. Get another one or upgrade your current one after the Vista installation is complete. Consider a freebie like AVG.

Disable other security applications, like antispyware and third-party firewalls.

Defrag the hard drive(s).
Even if you don't believe in defragmenting hard drives on a regular basis, you should perform a defrag before you start the Vista setup program. After a serious purge, there are sure to be plenty of gaps in the file system and at least some program fragmentation. Make your drive neat and orderly to roll out the carpet for the new OS.

Source : extreme tech 2007

now check this http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2082985,00.asp

you should be good to go all that remains is to activate your copy of vista , you are limited to a maxium of 5 activations per licence via the internet or phone for free aditional activations will be charged for

a clean install will be pretty self explaintory

if you have any more questions just ask me via pm or here

i personaly have recived a free copy of ultimate to review as part of the microsoft vista developer program :) and i like most of what what i see so far , except for the odd anoyances such as licence activations , and validations when i update or use a microsoft service

Posted Sat 03 Feb 07 @ 1:14 am
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
skyfxl wrote :

40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.

Do you need 15gb of hard drive space to install Vista?

WOW. Isn't that a bit much????

P

Posted Sat 03 Feb 07 @ 11:30 am
yes just a tad large =)

Posted Sat 03 Feb 07 @ 11:55 am
Personally, I don't recommend using Vista now.

Don't rush to install it before having heard first feedback.

Waiting 2 months at least is the golden rule :))

Posted Sun 04 Feb 07 @ 11:17 am
il report back for u :) after fully testing

Posted Sun 04 Feb 07 @ 11:56 am
TexZKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I'll install Vista (or use it as main OS) only when it's needed by applications, also because I'll have to add some RAM. I think it's simply useless to use it now, also because we don't know how to optimize it yet (aka remove default features which aren't needed for mixing-only purposes, like Network components).

Posted Sun 04 Feb 07 @ 2:02 pm
I'm waiting till I get my new 1280x1024 laptop at the end of this year.

No need to get the new OS right now, though I might get office.

Posted Sun 04 Feb 07 @ 4:53 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)