Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Plextor Drives For CD+G'S Karaoke Discs

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I'am thinking about buying a External Plextor Drive. Does it have to be A DVD/CD writer or just a CD writer? I will just use it for CD+G'S. My internal DVD Drives Rip DVD'S jUST fINE. I have a NEC Drive on my laptop that i use for DVD'S. I have Ripped a couple of CD+G'S with no problem from the NEC Drive. So do i need a Plextor Drive then?

Thanks

Posted Sat 18 Nov 06 @ 4:29 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
If you ripped before without problems, you should be ok..but as far as karaoke Plextor has always been the way to go, and No you do not need a DVD drive.

Posted Sat 18 Nov 06 @ 4:58 pm
for ripping Plextor is one of the best available. They supply some additional tools (plextools) for ripping that also detect jitter and other problems. Those drives are very fast. When I rip a dvd to vob with my plextor dvd burner it is about 4 times faster than the samsung dvd player in the same system (So this samsung is almost never used). I rip audio at 35 speed, about 2,5 minutes for a complete cd.
See the plextor website for more info on support of cdg on different models

If your drive is supporting cdg then you are just fine. You could consider to buy a Plextor later (christmas present?). I would buy a dvd burner, while the price difference between a reader and a writer is not that big (dvd player 25 euro, 18x dvd burner 75 euro)
Ewout

Posted Sun 19 Nov 06 @ 11:29 am
mainedjPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I have a sony 700A cd/dvd dual layer burner, and love it. (I've had it for 2 years now).

If you have NERO, go into extras, and run "get system info", and after that runs, it will tell you what your reader/burner is capable of.

I had a plextor in the past, and it was great, but my Roxio wouldn't see it anymore, plus it was only a 8x at the time. It was time for a new one, and I got that Sony at staples for $89 before the $20 rebate.
They must have a newer model now, but I am happy with mine.

While were on this discussion, how long should a burner work before it needs to be replaced?

Posted Sun 19 Nov 06 @ 2:42 pm
Plextor gives 2 years warranty. MTBF (standard method to state lifetime for electrical components. See google for more info) is set to 60 000 hours. Tray loading 10 0000 times.

In my opinion all pc parts have a lifetime of 3 years. Then other / newer / better equipment is available so you better could replace it.
Ewout

Posted Sun 19 Nov 06 @ 4:44 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)