Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Solution to ZIP Error for Karaoke Files!!!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

tboudrePRO InfinityMember since 2003
This is a long post, but I do have some code that will help you, scroll down if you are impatient, but I suggest you read before implementing. I have just upgraded to VDJv4 and found the wonderful feature of being able to play my karaoke ZIP files directy without having to extract them first. In the past, I would extract the files to a temporary directory, and because these were the most popular songs, I would not delete them. But in the case that the MP3 & CDG files did not have the same name as the ZIP file, it was tough to find the file I just unzipped. I quickly found that with attepting to load the ZIP files directly, VDJ would not load the files and show an error on the deck. It didn't take me long to figure out to go back to unzipping to a temporary directory, and then I re-zipped the file using WinZip or WinRAR, and then the file would load from the ZIP. So, I come to the tech support forum for VDJ and I see that many people have experienced my same delima. I also notice that in every instance I had trouble with the ZIP files, there was a comment in the file that said "Zipped with MP3+G Toolz 3". Now the other problem I had with Toolz 3 was that it would rename the ZIP file, but would not rename the files inside the ZIP resulting in the problem I spoke of earlier. I upgraded to Toolz 4, but something isn't working right here, and I have no time to figure it out, I have a better idea for a solution. As I have seen in other posts, solutions range from unzip all into MP3 & CDG, there's the file name issue, or one by one, unzip, rezip, and add overwrite the original zip file. Personally, I have over 15,000 files, this is not a feasable option, and I'm sure many of you have more. I have written a couple of batch files that will not only solve the ZIP problem, but also rename the MP3 & CDG files inside to the same name as the ZIP file. Which is really unnecessary after you get the ZIP to load properly. On my CPU, which is 2.4Ghz, overclocked 30% to about 3.1Ghz on an ASUS MB, 1G RAM, I seem to be rezipping well over 1,000 files per hour, much faster than doing it by hand. I have the options on WinZip set to answer yes to questions and not stop, but every once in a while it waits for user input, anyway. Also, if a true error is detected in the ZIP file, the file is moved into another directory. This is a great feature, because personally, I have not checked the integrity of every single zip file. Managing these files is tough enough. So, what you need to get started is an activated version of WinZip Pro 10.0 and WinZip Command Line Support Add-On 2.0. Copy the text below from this post and name the files as indicated, then put these files in a directory with your ZIP files, and you're off to the races. Put only your ZIP files in here! And if you have the space, back up your original files. At least do what I did and put a few known "damaged" files in a directory and do a couple of trial runs before setting you whole collection to go for several hours. Maybe I could have found the space for a complete backup, but I just let 'er rip! I did notice that some files had completely differently named MP3 & CDG files inside, like a totally different song, well, I'll just need to handle that if anybody requests them, but I doubt it.

I'm just trying to lend a helping hand, but if you found this information useful, or would like some additional info/support, I will accept donations via PayPal or standard mail. :)
No, really, at least leave a post or shoot me and e-mail to let me know if this was helpful. And if you have any improvements, let me know.
tboudre@cox.net
D.J. Hot Sauce

Anyway, here's the code:

Filename: rezip.bat
REM ------------------Start rezip.bat------------Start copy here-----------------------------------
@echo Off
echo *************Automatic Karaoke Re-Zipper***********************
echo You need WinZip (Version 10 at the time I did this) AND
echo WinZip Command Line Support Add-On 2.0. Install Support Add-on
echo ONLY after you have registered (or cracked) Winzip Pro
echo.
echo Put these files in the directory with the zip files you wish to
echo fix. Any .CDG or MP3 files in this directory will be DELETED!
echo.
echo ****************** ZIP FILES ONLY!!!!!!************************
echo.
echo Any truly corrupt zip files will be moved into "BadZip" directory
echo I'm not sure how this could occour, maybe disk full? but on
echo unsucessful re-zip, mp3 & cdg files will be moved to "BadCdg"
echo.
echo As an added bonus, if the files contained in your zip file do not
echo match the zip name, they will be renamed before re-zipping.
echo If you do not wish to use this feature comment (REM) it out.
echo.
echo USE THIS PROGRAM AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!
echo Ctrl-C to quit.
Pause
If NOT EXIST BadZip MD BadZip
If NOT EXIST BadCdg MD BadCdg

FOR %%F IN (*.zip) DO ZIPExCom "%%~nF

echo Directory completed....
echo Look in BadZip and BadCdg for any files that need further attention.
Pause
REM ---------------- End rezip.bat---------------------End copy here----------------------------------

Filename ZipExCom.bat
REM -------------Start ZipExCom.bat----------------Start Copy Here----------------------------------
@echo off
REM Put this file in the same directory as you Karaoke Zips and rezip.bat
REM

"C:Program FilesWinzipwzunzip.EXE" %1.zip"
If ErrorLevel 1 GOTO BadZip
ren *.mp3 %1*.mp3"
ren *.cdg %1*.cdg"
del %1*.zip"

"C:Program FilesWinzipwzzip.EXE" -a -ef -yb %1.zip" *.mp3 *.cdg
If ErrorLevel 1 GOTO BadCdg
del *.mp3
del *.cdg
REM del *.txt
GOTO End

:BadZip
move %1.Zip" .Badzip%1.zip
GOTO End

BadCdg
move *.cdg .BadCdg*.cdg
move *.mp3 .BadCdg*.mp3

:End
REM ----------------End ZipExCom.bat-------------End Copy Here------------------------------------

Posted Fri 03 Nov 06 @ 7:22 am
thank you for the good guide.

Added it to the tips & tricks thread at general forum :)

Posted Fri 03 Nov 06 @ 7:31 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
why not make it into a tool and upload to the tools section?

Posted Fri 03 Nov 06 @ 8:12 pm
tboudrePRO InfinityMember since 2003
I'm kinda Old Skool, and still remain an expert in writing batch files to get these tedious tasks accomplished. This was the quick and dirty method. By the way, I added some code to produce a log file, in case your ZIP and the unzipped MP3 & CDG didn't match you can have a way to track down the real file. I am familiar with the XML for the skins because of some control systems software I use, but haven't looked into what it takes to design a tool. If you steered me in the right direction, I'm sure I could figure out the rest. Anyway, here's an update if you want logging. I designed it to be visually stimulating (wanted discrepancies to jump out at ya) if you have time to examine the whole file. On the fly, I didn't come up with a way to pick out the discrepancies, or put them into a CSV. But, all I have to do is feed this file into a text editor with macros, and I can pull everything into a CSV that includes only the discrepances. Maybe I can think of something easierlater, but for now this is working great for me. Oh, yeah, I also added a switch to the unzip that should keep the process going no matter what. Before it was stopping on unzip errors and waiting for input.

Here's the update:
This goes into ZipExCom.bat

@echo off
REM Put this file in the same directory as you Karaoke Zips and rezip.bat
REM
echo ------------------------------------------------------- >> log.txt
echo %1.zip" >> log.txt
"C:Program FilesWinzipwzunzip.EXE" -ybc %1.zip"
echo Unzip ErrorLevel: %ErrorLevel% >> log.txt
If ErrorLevel 1 GOTO BadZip
dir /b *.mp3 >> log.txt
dir /b *.cdg >> log.txt
ren *.mp3 %1*.mp3"
ren *.cdg %1*.cdg"
del %1*.zip"

"C:Program FilesWinzipwzzip.EXE" -a -ef -yb %1.zip" *.mp3 *.cdg
If ErrorLevel 1 GOTO BadCdg
echo Zip ErrorLevel: %ErrorLevel% >> log.txt
del *.mp3
del *.cdg
REM del *.txt
GOTO End

:BadZip
move %1.Zip" .Badzip%1.zip
GOTO End

BadCdg
move *.cdg .BadCdg*.cdg
move *.mp3 .BadCdg*.mp3

:End

Posted Sat 04 Nov 06 @ 4:48 am
How do i get the words to show up with my karaoke files. The song will play, but I don't see the words anywhere, and they are cdg format.

Posted Sun 03 Dec 06 @ 6:15 pm
I am not sure about anyone else but i class this as a major bug.

I have been evaluating the trial version of VDJ and have been very impressed with everything except this problem.

I don't see that everyone should have to re-zip thousdands of files which in my case is a huge job just to allow VDJ to read them surely this should be fixed in the next update but i don't see any indication that this is going to happen.

This is the only thing preventing me from purchasing VDJ as i want a 1 stop solution for all my mdeia and at the moment with this bug i can't use VDJ in a performance situation.

Can anyone shed some light as to whether this is classed as a bug and if there are any plans to rectify it?

Posted Tue 19 Dec 06 @ 2:22 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)