Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Jerky Video Problem - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

DjGazUKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I've got a major problem with version 4.x
I never used to get this as bad with 3.x I have treid every setting that I know about does anyone else have a suggestion?

When I'm playing a video on one side. Then I load up the next video....

However if I click anywhere in the waveform on the next video I'm about to play (usually to skip to a part of the song where I want to cue it from). The video that is playing goes all jerky (like the strobe effect) and sometimes freezes up. And if I put the part I skip to on a loop it goes even more crazy and both video's (even the preview of what's on next) goes jerky.

Any ideas? It did go jerky with 3.x but no where near as much as it is doing now.
It's dring me mad, can't really use it for live gig's anymore because it's that bad, I'm better off playing the DVD's. Hope someone can help?

My PC specs are:
3.2 Ghz Pentium (D) Dual Core CPU, 2GB Memory, SATA 320GB Hard Drive.
Graphics Car: ATI Radeon 9550 256MB (128bit) DDR Graphics Card.

Posted Sun 29 Oct 06 @ 3:06 pm
It seems worste with .avi files.

Even when I load a new song the picture that is playing freezes for about a second no matter what type of file.

Posted Sun 29 Oct 06 @ 3:20 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
to put it lightly the video card you have sucks. Replace it with a 6600GT nvidia agp 8x card.

Posted Sun 29 Oct 06 @ 3:29 pm

Posted Sun 29 Oct 06 @ 3:34 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
I get the same thing on a x1600 and x1800 , I think it might have something to do with the drivers, let's hope the next set of drivers fixes this however if I use Vob files then theres no pause at all

Posted Sun 29 Oct 06 @ 3:40 pm
OK the new graphics card is in this PC (Pentium 3.2Ghz (D) Dual Core CPU, 2GB Memory, SATA 300GB Hard Drive Computer)

The grapics card is:
Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800GS+ Silent 512MB DDR3 DVI, TV OUT, AGP (450MHz Core Clock) (1250MHz Memory Clock).

However it's doing exactly the same as before. Whenever I load a new video there's a slight stutter in the video and whenever I try to click on the waveform to skip through to a part I want to play the whole thing just freeses up. Any ideas ?

Cheers.

Posted Wed 01 Nov 06 @ 1:03 pm
That isn't the video card I recomended.

Posted Wed 01 Nov 06 @ 1:15 pm
Which did you reccomend ? I only have an AGP slot in this PC.

Posted Wed 01 Nov 06 @ 1:18 pm

Posted Wed 01 Nov 06 @ 1:20 pm

Posted Wed 01 Nov 06 @ 3:27 pm
Read my post in your other thread.

Posted Wed 01 Nov 06 @ 3:42 pm
OK I've just bought This graphics card Thanks for your help. Hope it makes things better, but the last one I tried didn't so getting back onto the subject of jerky video playback it must be something to do with the .avi files that have been encoded with 3ivX codec.

Posted Wed 01 Nov 06 @ 4:24 pm
Well for your benifit I made some tests on my system here with these 3ivx files. This is solely my opinion on them. They don't look very good to me up agnist a vob file, I put them up against an mpeg-1 and the mpeg-1 looked better then the 3vix file when used with my 6600gt I experience the same problem you are having. I believe its the way windows media player is doing the decoding. I did notice if I add about 1 second of blank video to the file at the start the skip is less. On my system with the 6800gt the problem is worse but I think that's due to the config of the system. I noticed when the file is loaded scaned the problem is less as well. So far for me the vob file wins every time I play with differnt codecs I always come back to this one one. That 6600gt will last you a long time with video playback I've had mine for almost 3 years now and its never let me down live ever. Try converting the avi's to mpeg-1 for more testing.

Posted Wed 01 Nov 06 @ 5:14 pm
OK but why does it all work fine in virtual Dj 3.2 ?

Obviously VOB files are going to give better quality video's, but I don't want to have to buy and carry even more hard drives around with me.

Posted Wed 01 Nov 06 @ 5:44 pm
why not use mpeg-1 640x480 or mpeg-2 320x240 ? Using the internal decoder is much faster then using windows media decoder. I'd pick a format that works with it.

Posted Wed 01 Nov 06 @ 5:47 pm
I will from now on, but about 2000 tracks that I use for Djing have already been converted to .avi So it's just annoying why Virtual Dj has stopped working as well as it used to.

Posted Wed 01 Nov 06 @ 5:50 pm
I know of a program that will do a batch convert of those, its called imtoo mepg converter.

Posted Wed 01 Nov 06 @ 5:52 pm
Won't I loose even more quality if I convert them again?

I still have the original DVD's so over time I will be able to rip them all again. It's just a shame. I want to be able to use version 4.x but with it going jerky all the time I can't so I'm stuck with 3.4

Posted Wed 01 Nov 06 @ 5:59 pm
Did you try using VDJ internal coder ?

It must be some setting that you have different in 4.0, than 3.4

Posted Wed 01 Nov 06 @ 6:09 pm
If I set it to internal Video decoder I only get audio from my .avi files but no picture.

Posted Wed 01 Nov 06 @ 6:16 pm
95%