Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: 4.1 What I'd Like - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I'm starting this one in the hope that those of us who can offer constructional advice regarding the down sides of 4.1 can offer a single thread for the dev team to look over and perhaps get some points. Please don't turn this into a 'get down on the dev team' thread.

Basically I'm fairly happy with 4, there are a couple of small points though that I believe are a backward step.

Soundcard Control

I think the options for outputs when in advanced mode were a lot more comprehensive with 3.4. For instance, you could choose what channels (deck one, deck 2, effects) wwent to what outputs, in 4.0 you are stuck with the dropdown presets. Making it difficult to integrate other programs that offer no output options.

Sound Effects Control

I have no particular problem with this, and unlike what some are saying, you CAN use as many effects as you like, what I would like to see though is, the little boxes that open and say "on" when an effect is on, to be clickable to turn off that effect, instead of having to move over to that effect to turn it off. (if anyone doesn't understand this one, please say so and I'll elaborate.

Video Effects Control

The BIG one for me, and the only reason why I'm refusing to use 4.0 for my gigs. Major step backwards in my opinion with regards being able to mix between effects, ie go from a video, to visualisations and back to video, perhaps even with transitions in between. I know you can set the visualisations to 'auto on' when no video but then it doesn't turn them off again when there is video.

The addition of the camera option is a MAJOR plus and big thanks for that one, but please, give us the ability to mix between camera, video and visualisations using transitions. wipes, fades etc.

Also a big thanks for fixing the visualisations not working when using advanced audio.

Please say all the above will be fixed for 4.1 as I'm really excited about being able to do all the above.

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 4:37 pm
NiemsPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Ya advanced soundcard control :D

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 5:10 pm
I do like the idea version 4 but haven't an ample opportunity to fully test it out. From my limited observations and experience with it I noticed the following anyways.

I use an Ecler Nuo 4 Mixer with my TCV's to mix video. The MIDI functions made very helpful to go between the 4 preset video transitions when needed at a moments notice. I would love to see a 4 preset hot button situation again like 3.4. I made some custom transitions that didn't work with version 4. Instead of re-writing a new transition I would have loved to just use them. (I am no programmer.. I was lucky to make the transitions I made)

An optioin in our config for changing things in our registry instead of having to go into the registry to change column order, sort order, etc.

Better text feature. Can't change font. Just size, color and position. Be nice to have it scroll or flash on the screen or something like a special effect.

Ability to have a back up feature for existing database instead of having to manually go and copy and paste it somewhere. Like an export database feature or something semi-automatic with setting for it on start up and closing of software or something. The database could be put in our "my documents" folder by default and have a back up database there.

Most important in my book anyways. FULL ID3 tag support with custom columns in the browser. The ability to set up your browser to what you feel you need. (ei. artist, title, remix, year, etc) ... and be able to search for custom critera in the fields... (ei. search for every junior vasquez mixes)

ID3 tags are everywhere and it would be nice to have it implemented on this very powerful DJ software solution.

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 5:13 pm
SiDHEaDPRO SubscriberMember since 2005
I'm liking 4 a lot, but if we are talking bits and bobs to add, a "Save State" button for the database would be good. I spent ages importing a load of tracks and analysing them, only for the analyser to crash and take out VDJ after about 500 tracks. I had to start over. Would have been better to been able to save the db at that state, without exiting and reloading.

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 5:40 pm
I would love to have the option of highlighting & scanning more than one file at a time. If you u have 3 or 4 files grouped together, it would be convenient to highlight those files right click & scan. Scanning for hip hop tracks could be better.

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 5:57 pm
Good thread, keep it clean and constructive ;)

I would only like to add that I think 4.1 will come soon and be a "bug fix" release for the most common problems appearing, and that 4.2 will be more of a new feature release later on.

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 6:02 pm
yeah i gotta say we need id3 support and the return of the advanced soundcard config. I did figure out the 3 mixer line using asio, but the text box that tells youe each configuration is too small and oyu can only see half of the line.. it gets cut off. After getting the performance slider and the appropriate other options going V4 has been great. Just get the skin installer corrected and i'll be really happy. Good Job!

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 6:36 pm
Niems wrote :
Ya advanced soundcard control :D

yes, i want it too, with 3 sections :

MME section - with all WDM/KS ouputs of all audiocards installed

Kernel section - with all WDM/KS ouputs of all audiocards installed

ASIO section -with all WDM/KS ouputs of all audiocards installed

and the availability to choose all audiocard resolutions available.
(for example for a wavetermianl192X :
16/44 - 16/48 - 16/96 - 16/192KHZ or
24/44 - 24/48 - 24/96 - 24/192KHZ)

and that the audio engine doesn't force the audiocard at 16/44Khz

and a new section when Windows Vista will be out :

Wasapi - realtime audio - with all realtime audio of VISTA HDAUDIO mode outputs of all audiocards

:)

Olivier

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 6:37 pm
lovin the new engine. not so much the whole blend of visuals with videos and the transitioning. for me it's not worth the switch to 4.0 just yet. I do love the camera option, that was brilliant! But it is just to confusing and difficult to mix between visuals music videos and camera.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE a native wide screen skin for all us laptop users who got suckered into buying a laptop with WIDESCREEN.

keep up the good work!

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 7:04 pm
I would request a "timecode bypass" command so regular vinyl can be used interchangeably with TCV's! This option was in 3.4, but didn't work well and was removed... Should be fixed and functional! Especially if you want to attract DJ's who have been using vinyl for many years, and want to continue to be able to use their vinyl collection...

Also, I know it is in the works, and been mentioned by many, but the browser should be updated to act like other Windows applications, with more overall functionality... The playlist still does funny things -- if you put a song on a deck, it disappears from the playlist! It could just stay there, but be marked as already-played, as in the main songlist area... And it seems you can no longer drag the playlist to the main songlist -- instead it goes to a "side list" ? What is this extra side list for? Seems odd...

Other than that, 4.0 has been working great for me! No big problems, definite improved sound quality, and zippier, more stable overall software experience.

------------------------------------

Check out my latest mix: http://www.musicv2.com/process_stream.php?id=21961

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 7:06 pm
SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Here are my suggestions for new features in order of my priority:

VIDEO EFFECTS:
-Allow multiple simultaneous Video Effects (i.e. overlay text on Sonique visuals)
-If effects can be started when there is no video, they should be stopped when there is... furthmore:
-Allow for fades with effects somehow. I like the new system... but could it work with transitions? Perhaps the crossfader could control a transparency parameter for slideshow, camera, & sonique. Perhaps a whole class of effects could be designated as "video relpacement" effects, and they could have something special allowing them to run on a single screen in lieu of video, (so they can use transitions) but they would still be effects.

ENHANCEMENTS TO TEXT OVERLAY:
Just some ideas of mine... maybe not too high priority.
-Occasionally there is pixel noise around the text... especially when resizing it live. I had this with 3.4 as well. A fix would be nice.
-Now the text dialogue can be pretty big given its location in effects, so there should be room for more features. How about:
-Allow the user to select from different fonts
-More colors, and the ability to customize those.
-I thought transparency, scrolling, or color cycling might be nice ideas, if not too difficult to implement
-Create "preset" buttons for Text that allow the user to click one button to save and load preset text messages so that they don't have to be typed in every time.
-Related to prior comment, but allow text to be overlayed onto other effects.

DATABASE & FILE BROWSER
-The database should be much easier to resize and rearrange columns. It's a LOT of work if you want to resize, say, the BPM column or the TIME column, because you've got to manually resize every other column. Also, double clicking on the column should make the width fit the contents... in short, it should behave like almost every other windows program.
-Some filetypes don't easily support tags. I'd LOVE to have some kind of interface to highly customize the filename parsing, and have a "smart" filename parser that can make a determination of things like... if the first two characters are numbers followed by a non-alphanumeric character, then... could that possibly be a track title and NOT an artist name? If we could use regular expressions here, that would be the bomb. Maybe allow us to make complex parsing presets that could be traded with others in the VDJ community.

-Please support ID3v2 tags one of these days. Is there a good reason that they are not? Also implement Vorbis tags.

-Allow for a more sophisticated database. I think that Winamp got theirs right. I like Winamp's smart views that allow for splitting up the database by certain criteria, like genre, path (I can then sort my music and karaoke and videos seperately) and such.

-Allow for a quick and easy way of updating the database. Make it an option on startup even, so VDJ does it automatically when you're setting up for a gig. (Just be sure to allow the user to cancel, and don't block off the user interface).

PREFERENCES & AUDIO CONFIGURATION
-The dialogue allowing for sound card configuration is too narrow and you can't see the last soundcard. Could this be made resizable, or at least a bit wider?
-Being able to use my ASIO soundcard and my laptop's internal soundcard for effects at the same time might be handy. I noticed lots of people want more audio device configurability.

-Would it be possibly for VirtualDJ to natively use 48kHz or 96kHz/24 bit on soundcards that support it? That removes the need for resampling to 44.1 kHz entirely.

Those are the biggest requests I have. Other than that, I'm enjoying the new version and another BIG THANKS TO THE DEVELOPMENT TEAM that made it possible to have this great software at a very reasonable price point!

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 7:14 pm
@ Poloralphloren

The sidelist is a really usefull feature, not so much for the bedroom DJ's but for us pros. Say you have a birthday at your venue, but you don't know when the birthday person will arrive. So, you place "Happy Birthday" and perhaps '50 cent - In da club' into your side list, now you have instant access to those tracks as soon as the person walks in.

---------------------------------------

Just remembered what else I'd like added, which I know many others have discussed. The red 'played' icon being given a time option for when a track gets selected as 'played' for instance, how many times do you place a track on the platter, then change your mind and replace it with another? VDJ then marks the one you've replaced as 'played' even though it actually hasn't been played. Link this in with the removal from playlist comment above

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 7:18 pm
Good point about the side list TopHouse, I see what you're saying...

But still, maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like you cannot drag the playlist into the main list area (does this area have a good name?)... You used to be able to do this, but now you can't... I'm asking to be able to do this because the main list area has slightly more functionality than the playlist area, for rearranging songs, sorting them, etc. If the overall browser was improved, and all these things could be adjusted in both areas, then that wouldn't matter so much... So basically, saying once again, makes these windows behave like other Windows applications and we will be happy :)

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 7:33 pm
bobbiePRO InfinityMember since 2003
+1 for vorbis tag support. This is needed for ogg and (more important) FLAC.

also a mask that would infer track name, artist etc from the filename would be useful. Something about

And above all search in all id3 tags. I have the genre tag precisely set for all my mp3. For example if I type "detroit" it should list all detroit techno. And we should be able to make more complex queries like:

genre=detroit or genre=house and year < 2002.

You get the idea.

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 8:08 pm
xgl_djPRO InfinityMember since 2004
4.1 - be able to calculate the BPM at any pitch speed - 4.0 stops calculating the bmp after a moving the pitch slider past a certain point.

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 10:22 pm
I agree with the browser, and the ID3 Tag handling features to be improved. That's all really for me at the moment.

Posted Wed 30 Aug 06 @ 12:42 am
NrgPlyrPRO InfinityMember since 2004
My suggestions aren't nearly as complex, but a couple of features were taken away and i'd really like to have them back:

1. In 3.4, I was able to use 3 effects and with DJ Console, it was very useful to have three. Now we can only use one effect and if you want to use something else, you have to manually change the effect every single time. The old way worked great. Can we bring it back?

2. Unless I'm missing something, I have not been able to put in any of the effects i've downloaded to use. I've had to use the effects provided by the program. Some of the other effects work great. I'd like to use them again.

That's all I can think of for now...

Posted Wed 30 Aug 06 @ 1:05 am
I think that V4 is light years away than V3.4 and unfortunately I cannot enjoy the full power of this software due to my computer. I will be aquiring a new fast laptop very soon. So maybe then I will enjoy it. But I too would like to see more sound effects added. It is too cumbersome to activate more than one at a time. As those that have heard my mixes, I love samples and sound effects.

MS

Posted Wed 30 Aug 06 @ 2:25 am
The upgrade is awsome! But, I do agree with the need for something to be displayed while you are not playing videos. Sometimes as a dj you don't have all the videos you would like to play. We also use the slideshow feature at my club.

The video effects default in the config screen and the choosing of video effect are buggy on mine. also my video levels and mp3 levels are very diffrent, which was not the case before.

Posted Wed 30 Aug 06 @ 2:43 am
I would like better Behringer BCD2000 support as this wasn't mentioned yet. As good as control as from a Hercules Console MK2.

Posted Wed 30 Aug 06 @ 3:31 am
20%