Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: New Projector - What Kind?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DjGazUKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I'm just about to buy a new projector for my mobile disco.

Can anyone suggest a make / model or what I should look for?
Preferably links to UK shops. I've tried all the local electrical shops in town, but they just referr me to the internet or big city shops.

I thought I might find a few deals now the world cup is over, but havn't seen anything yet.

I do quite a few small venue's and the distance from the front of my rig to the back wall is usually no more than 8 foot.

This site looks good:
www.projectors.co.uk
But way too many to pick from when you don't know exactly what your looking for.

Cheers.

Posted Sun 16 Jul 06 @ 1:57 pm
I have a Hitachi I bought from Argos - it originally retailed for 1p short of £700 (hand over £700, you get back 1p change) - but they knocked it down by about £100. This one comes with a free screen at Argos (http://www.argos.co.uk) - I thought that the knockdown price negated the free screen - but they both came - I was surprised! You plug your laptop in the blue socket in there. Mind you - these projectors are difficult to align properly, if your setup is peculiar - could be a bit lop-sided. You could always take the wallpaper off one of the walls, paint it white and use that as a screen, if you want a bigger picture.

Posted Sun 16 Jul 06 @ 3:13 pm
projector:
when buying a projector look for number of lumins and contrast ratio
also, make sure the projector can broadcast from the front and back - i think all do, but check to make sure
for my mobile gigs, i only use rear screen mode---as a result, i bought a rear screen
however, at some gigs i have had to use front mode--i just shoot it on the front of the screen
i have a panisonic and i love it 1,700 lumins and weighs 4.5 pounds
i use to have the old 3 gun projector that weighed 70 pounds
my back is very thankful for technology
good luck

Posted Sun 16 Jul 06 @ 5:32 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Lumens are very Important, especially if you plan on using it in other than a dark area, The more lumens you have, the more it will show in a lit room, or even outside..also look at the screen resolution and how big the image can go up too

Posted Sun 16 Jul 06 @ 5:53 pm
I use a infocus projector that is 2000 lumens and 400:1 contrast. It is good and does the job. I have a dual screen da-lite and generally project from the rear. I will be upgrading next year to a 2500 lumen 2000:1 contrast to improve the picture. I finally got all of my regular proms to book video for next year, so it will more than pay for the new projector.

Posted Tue 18 Jul 06 @ 5:14 am
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
2000 lumins is really minimum if you want to play at daylight too (sometimes needed) :) And Sony has really great projectors. Small and powerful.

Posted Tue 18 Jul 06 @ 9:17 am
joetmenPRO InfinityMember since 2005
xeon wrote :
2000 lumins is really minimum if you want to play at daylight too (sometimes needed) :) And Sony has really great projectors. Small and powerful.

I prefer 3000 lumins or, however, more than 2000, 'cause it's really minimum for a good projectors.

Posted Tue 18 Jul 06 @ 10:56 am
DjGazUKPRO InfinityMember since 2005

Posted Wed 19 Jul 06 @ 2:16 am
joetmenPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I think you make a good choice...enjoy it!!

Posted Wed 19 Jul 06 @ 12:56 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)