Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: downloading mp3's....dont panic mods I'm not requesting or offering!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djfunktHome userMember since 2006
Ok this can usually make for an interesting discussion..........

Mp3 downloading is here to stay, its changed a lot from the early napstar days and the record companies are embracing it more so now than ever, theres now a lot of legal download sites that require payment/subscriptions.

I know a few recording artists and they think its a great way to promote their work, usually small bands are happy for people to download their material for free as it gives them good exposure.

There is still a lot of people on newsgroups and using peer to peer software though, the recent increase in fines and prosecutions doesnt seem to be putting people off.

But the fact remains, a lot of people want music without paying for it and its still easy to do.

but what about dj's?

These of us who started out on vinyl have always accepted that it costs a lot of money to keep your music collection up to date. Dj's have spent more money on music than an average consumer.

As a dj is essentially promoting music should they have pay for music?

Is it acceptable for a dj to download music if they are making others aware of the music therefore increasing sales?

or is a dj getting paid for work while playing illigal copies the same as someone who sells copied cds?

does Dj who started on viny accept that music is something that you pay for, like a craftsman buys tools and materials?

My opinion on this doesnt matter,I have spent lots of money on music over the years, I'm just interested in what others think.....

Damien

Posted Tue 20 Jun 06 @ 2:40 pm
SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
There was a time when DJs would get free promo CDs and stuff, but now the record companies just seem to want their money like everyone else. I don't think they feel the need to give anyone free CDs. I haven't met a lot of DJs this day in age that are completely legit and actually own all their music on pressed CDs.

I guess people do whatever works for them. Sadly, now most DJs are ripping other people's CDs and downloading, and I know some who spend about $5 per month on CD-Rs, and maybe not even that much on actual CDs. Therefore, the amount of money a club DJ makes (in my area at least) has actually gone DOWN even though most other expenses have gone up.

I personally own almost every ERG CD, and lots of the promo ones, but I still download occasionally to fill in holes, and I get the odd customer who wants me to play his CD, so I'll copy a track from it for him. In Canada, the laws are much less strict about that kind of thing than they are in the USA, fortunately. All the "authorities" here really care about is whether you have your AVLA license. (I don't know too many DJs who do though).

Posted Wed 21 Jun 06 @ 4:17 am
Money, Money and more Money. That's what the world is up to now... and us djs? are we part of the herd? are we going to lay low and pay for all that we ever do? Are we going to have to pay for air soon? I personnaly think that a sharing a mp3 is a bit like making a photocopie of a book page for studies. We dont hurt anyone, we dont make huge profits out of it (most of us) and we dont want to hurt the artists, obviously. So what is wrong to take a mp3 from a "friend" and using it? And who is to define what a friend is? If I dont know the guy, dont want to know the guy, dont care about the guy but download his mp3s, he can still be my "friend". All those networks, p2p, news, emule, all of them, arent they just a massive alliance of people who are sick of those capitalists fatcats? I think so yes, but we have a lot less means. I say take your sword, and go fight soldier. DOwnload some mp3s until they realise that they were greedy and always charged us too much for music without giving the artists the right % of the money.

They are wrong, not us.
Just my opinion.
Karlo.

Posted Wed 21 Jun 06 @ 12:25 pm
joetmenPRO InfinityMember since 2005
hi karloptimux,
I partially agree with you, but I think that we can't do anything to get better our position, 'cause the music, generally speaking, becomed business and business isn't booming, because nobody buys cds or vinyls, except us. we are deejay and we have to buy only original tracks, cds and vinyls...but, it isn't ok and we spend only a lot of money!
people use the net and net's resources, as previously you said: p2p, emule and other means!
that's all!

Posted Wed 21 Jun 06 @ 1:01 pm
I see what you mean but we are people too. Why should they bear the politicaly correct label and not us? A mp3 dj usualy dont have the same good reputation as a cd or vinyl dj... why is that? because some are jealous because THEY had to pay and not us? And dont get me wrong here, I dont say we MUST download... but I think it makes things a lot easier for the djs of today.

Karlo.

Posted Wed 21 Jun 06 @ 1:07 pm
Hi,

Anyway, i don't use mp3. It's a losy codec.

I prefer to use .wav or .flac (lossless) format in Virtual DJ.

:)

Posted Thu 22 Jun 06 @ 3:04 am
djfunktHome userMember since 2006
olivierbergman wrote :
Hi,

Anyway, i don't use mp3. It's a losy codec.

I prefer to use .wav or .flac (lossless) format in Virtual DJ.

:)

lol

Posted Thu 22 Jun 06 @ 3:41 am
That was so bound to happen, an audiophile! god we got to hang em all high hehe. What I wanted to say is more like the principle of using digital files rather than phisycal items... and really for mp3s and wav, I know its better, and I am very glad that you can make the difference, and I am pretty sure you are proud to make the difference... but for me, really, its all the same. And I am sure I'm not the only one heh.

Why ask more than what you can handle?
Karlo.

Posted Thu 22 Jun 06 @ 12:07 pm
There was a well known DJ in the UK - I can't remember his name, who argued that because he had bought many many Albums with only 1 good track on them, he would use limewire, kazaa, etc just to try out tracks, then buy the ones he really wanted.

That argument differentiates between tracks we want to own and play and those we just want to try out.

I think we all feel that we have had our fingers burnt by buying crap over the years. But the trouble is, if we don't buy tracks but just download them it doesn't seem the same to me I get pleasure from legally owning loads of tracks. I want to feel like I own my collection. Now I can go on a site like Beatport, have a 30 second sample and if I like buy a good quality file for a low price.

I feel happy with that and so I don't download illegal files.

Maybe I'm strange, but that's the way I like it.

Posted Thu 22 Jun 06 @ 5:46 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)