Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: The costly coming of Video?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
This has been on my mind a lot recently, buying VDJ and all the gadgets I thought I was at forefront of Technology, just waiting to invest in some killer controller(s) and I'd be way ahead of the game, then, video comes on the scene and it seems the plan has "gone all Pete Tong" hehe.

I figure I can't be alone in this dilemma, we all know DJ'ing is competitive in whatever form it takes, VDJ amongst other technology makes our job easier and gives us a great edge, being able to play from a software that usually has much more power than what more industry standard hardware offers means we bring something else to the table.

I'd say now, that every club I've been to in the last six months has screens, mostly these screens are used to advertise drink promotions, other club nights etc, and also show photos of monged out clubbers with 'red' eye starring like zombies, other clubs play mostly music and the odd Music Video, the one place that I've seen doing a full video show was basically a cardboard copy of MTV, playing video after video (admittedly with the advantage of selection) but not exactly cutting edge video/visual mixing.

I know in some citys/clubs things are way ahead, delivering some truly great visual shows, but I'm trying to put it into perspective, that not everywhere has invested fully into visuals/video but screens (As of now).

I'm thinking to myself now, the next time I enquire about a club gig, are they going to say "nah mate because our guy plays videos and has a load of DVD's" or if I invested in a new computer/laptop and buy/extract a load of videos they might say "we already have our video/Audio system in place".

This is where I ask the question, for the mainstream clubs and pubs, how will video be integrated?, I don't think anyone knows exactly, but there aren't such a great amount of possibilities:

1) Either there will be VJ's and DJ's, who co-exist in the DJ booth (like most places do now)
2) DJ's with Vinyl/CD collections will need to re-buy much of their music collections on DVD, buy new mixing hardware (DVJ, PC etc), and learn Video mixing as a new skill, (at this point the solely "DJ" ceases to exist except in those select underground venues).
3) The market will diversify and different clubs will approach visual/video mixing differently (also as we see now)

Some don't see actual music video mixing becoming a standard in club land, whereby each "DJ" now uses DVD's and by the way the video is on the screen mixing with the music, this comforts me in a sense because I do consider Video mixing as an expensive threat to many DJ's and at least causing me confusion :), although I'm all for moving forward with the 'times', I would hope that the coming of video isn't as costly as it seems..

Posted Mon 08 May 06 @ 4:16 am
Dear Bagpuss, your post is, as usual, profound. Thanks for bringing stuff like this into the debate. For now I see that music and audio are being treated apart in most big clubs. So I expect this trend to continue, with the advent of beat detection to sincronize images to sounds.

Posted Mon 08 May 06 @ 6:42 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
i have always seen some type of videos used in many clubs but not with music videos(not in my area), all i see is 2 seperate guys controlling each seperate. Mixing with videos to me is like a live mixed MTV session, while it is cool to watch and sometimes can be amazing if done correct. i'm just not sure what direction its headed in, and i also feel the club/dj industry does not really know either. The ones that do use video seem to have success with it, i think once this has been around for a bit and the "newness" wears off we will have a better idea of where the videos are headed.

Posted Mon 08 May 06 @ 7:17 pm
d rocksPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Intresting point(s) Bagpus. I can say that as the average clubber or even non clubber becomes more use to music and video be synonymous. That being said, if the DJ wants to continue working, he/she will have to change as well. Is it right? No, of course not. I don't like the idea of having to spend more money and it is really difficult to convince the customer that it is worth it.

I remember reading a post on another forum once and a question came up simliar to this one. During the debate on that thread I asked "since video was added to your show, do you find people watching the screens instead of dancing". The reply was no. The people who dance will dance and the others, now have something to do.

So now you have to ask yourself: self, do I want to make a sizeable investment to reach more customers and bring entertainment into their lives at the risk of not being able to have a return on my investment for quite some time? Or stick with what is working and what is profitable? I will tell you that I answered by starting to do video. I have one club on board and he is paying more for it now. I have others that say I need to convince them that they need it. I reply to the others that are not doing it with "if you do not want to lead the pack then you're going to get run over by those that do."

It's going to happen. Take a look at your TV at home. I don't get to watch much anymore but I hear Nearly every channel has some programming with it. It's very tricky in navigating what is right for your business sometimes. You just have to do what you feel is right for you.

sorry for being so philosophical lol!!!

Posted Mon 08 May 06 @ 7:20 pm
socrossPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I'm not sure what all the video fuss is about. Call me old fashioned, but I'm not too concerned about it. People go to a dance club for 3 main reasons: Dancing, drinking and hooking up. Staring at a video screen does none of these. It's nice, I guess, but most people don't seem to care, at least in my area. They aren't there to watch TV.

I think the big problem might be with club promoters. They might view video as just better than music only (although they should know better) and it might be hard to convince them otherwise.

Now, I'm not bashing videos, I think they are cool, but they don't help you dance, drink or hook up, so I don't feel that threatened by them.

Posted Mon 08 May 06 @ 9:11 pm
videos make an audio visual atmosphere, and is part of the club-scene renewing itself... like it has always done:)

its part of the entertainment, and by such, does help people dance, drink and have fun...
and in the near future, the hottest club will prob have video mixing, and promoters see it as a new cool way of attracting people to the club.. .

Video mixing is already present in the trendsetting clubs here, and I bet most will follow:)

It might take 2-5 years before video mixing is common, but its for sure part of the clubscene in the future...

The question is really more how big its going to be, and if its going to "threaten" pure audio djs, in other words, video-djs take over their work...

As you say, its up to the promoter, the owner, and... the guests! and the guests wants new stuff, and video can be just that... :) something new that makes the club stick out, and attract people..
and in doing just that, other clubs will follow...

Pioneer did not make dj dvd decks just for fun ;) It part of a market analyze, future analyze and strategy.. video will for certain take over a lot of the commercial clubs, but only time will tell how many and how big its going to be :)

Posted Mon 08 May 06 @ 10:12 pm
hehe...
well, I've been to a few clubs that do videos already...

And contrary to believes, people do NOT stare... its just a audio visual show, setting a mood and an atmosphere... :) looks cool, sexy, hot ... ;)

And people digg it ;)

Posted Mon 08 May 06 @ 10:18 pm
oh... hmm .. that was a reply to someone saying videos would make the guests stare at the screens ;) but that someone deleted his post before I replied ;) lol

But .. .that is the main concern of many djs and owners.. will it destroy the atmosphere, and draw attention to the screen, making guests "tv watcher".. :)
Only future will tell, but if so... video will be a failure, and abstract visuals might take over...

But the future noone knows.. ;) except the Gypsy fortune tellers...hehe

Posted Mon 08 May 06 @ 10:19 pm
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Playing music videos in a club isn't a new thing where I from. Mixing the video clips however will be.

What tended to happen is people who are dancing would tend to look at the screen to see what song was to be played next, and once it was playing they wouldnt really take notice of the screen unless they wanted to imitate the dancing in the video. However with people who aren't dancing and just drinking they tend to look at the screens more often than those who would be dancing... its just out of boredom I guess... who knows, who cares?

Anyways with regards to the cost of video and what not... it makes obvious sense that any new equipment that is bought should have midi. I have big expectations for numark's iCDX and I'm sure something like the ecler nu04 or pioneer djm 800 would be the perfect companion. Other than the initial cost I'm pretty sure most people will agree that the real cost would be acquiring the music videos.

Posted Mon 08 May 06 @ 11:00 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
newsflash, most DJs play illegaly. 99% of the time there wil be some kind of permit they have forgoten to renew or some kind of licence they didnt know they needed. i dont know why the world doesnt just wake up and pay the people that make music and not all the money making pen pushers.

It is a sucky world where a promoter can make more from an artist than an artist makes from themselves but thats the world we live in today. Everyone wants to buy in the recipy to success and outsource solutions to third parties. This is the world we live in today.

Citronic TT CD hybrid
numark X1
that other brand thats exactly the same

its cause they bought it from china and its all the same mass produced tat with a different set of buttons. the way the world wil soon be.......................

Posted Tue 09 May 06 @ 12:55 am
....Hmmmm I started to write something here, but it was about to turn into a novel and I barely made it out of my own philosophical haze, so I figured I'd scrap it and just give you the brief version:

It basically comes down to this:

It all depends on what kind of club it is you are playing at. If you are playing at a venue where the music is the main attraction, and the crowd has a wholehearted interest for that kind of music, then videos are worthless. And I think it will stay that way.

Another thing is that it is mostly commercial music (original mixes) that have videos, after all they are expensive to produce. So if you are playing remixes, and fresh and/or rare stuff, you most likely haven't got the option to go for video anyway.

Besides, the "stop and stare" effect you get when mixing videos really takes away from the wholde idea of mixing music. You mix to make continuity, to keep the dancefloor moving with no breaks. Why would you want people to turn their heads to check out what tune is coming up next, instead of gently massaging it into theire ear-drums with lure and passion... lol

Personally, I also find the actual mixing part of MVJ'ing (MVJ=MusicVideoJockey) thoroughly uinterresting visually.

But hey, bring it on. I don't think this is a form of competition that will affect other clubs than the typical commercial ones.

Posted Tue 09 May 06 @ 1:50 am
d rocksPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Damn web-sense! I have been eager to see what other opinons were since posting and all of a sudden I couldn't get to the forum because where I was when I posted earlier is web sensed and filtered now arggggghhhh! Go figure....
Oh well I digress. Is it a matter of cost? Someone mentioned the up front cost of harware in a previous post. Yes, there is an up front cost. Where the real monatary cost is at is the monthy or yearly dvd subs. If you want to stay hot you need the vids just like you get the new audio releases. It is part of the DJ's job to bring the new stuff up and help make it hot. Face it, you want to be the guy spinning the hot new hits and not the DJ next door who can't keep up. That's one of the reasons we mix. It can make an old song new. But it's not as "simple" with the vids. I hap a momentary lapse in judgement when I thought about changing my audio subscription to a video one. Then I realized uhhhh some videos are like mini movies and if there was no video then the breaks during the song would seem stupid.

So if you are going to going to dj then dj. Because, IMO the dj will become more than a personpicking songs and playing them. He will become a complete human sensory excitation source. Stop for one moment and think about it. Obviously audio for the ears, light and videos for the eyes, you can add scent for the foggers, people feel the beat when you are pumping. The taste thing..... well if anybody has done club work knows that if all the above are working, then that will happen on it's own. (refer to above post on hooking up) hahaha.

Posted Tue 09 May 06 @ 2:58 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
This is the distinction here, For underground musically dedicated clubs where DJ's known for their mixing skills perform, there will undoubtedly be a Pro VJ on hand doing his/her job independently, and in some cases perhaps there wont be a VJ at all (At least for short term).

Then there will be the commercial clubs/bars etc, which (whether we like it or not) make up a large majority of the scene, at least in my town, I can think of one or two underground music dedicated venues, whilst I can think of dozens of commercial venues, which are the places I protest, because the DJ's never mix or pull anything impressive out the bag, if your gonna play pussycat dolls and the black eyed peas then at least entertain me with some mixing (yes I'm hard to please), and yes I'd rather the video isn't in my face, but this is happening.

The commercial venues are the venues where underpaid DJ's are now being demanded to go Video, it's happening slowly but it's driving through, and believe me..most DJ's are bothered about this, it's a concern because it's a threat to what they are used to doing, it's quite a big change, some are just ignorant and protest change, you might call me ignorant, but I simply don't enjoy music videos, it's just my taste, but the business as most of you know is not based on the taste of one, your a people pleaser, if my passion to DJ is threatened by a new generation of Video-DJ's, then rest assured I will be among one of the first to make the transition and excel in it, and my purpose of bringing up this subject is to share market analysis, and be sure that no matter where technology takes us, we all come out winning.

The music format you buy on and the hardware you invest in is affected, maybe I'm just too stingy with money, but I for one don't want to buy something only to need it replacing within a few months, for example, who wants to buy a pair of CD players now?, would it not be better just to buy/wait for DVD players?, just food for thought.

Posted Tue 09 May 06 @ 4:14 am
Thought I would ad my 2 cents...

Five years ago I went to a DJ convention in Atlantic City, NJ and came back with the idea of doing video, not just music videos, but also custom videos for any of my clients. With the vast amount of video editing software available it is easy to take pictures and customize a video for playing in corporate events or private shows. Well that said I was the only one doing video shows at schools, weddings ect...Business was great. It is amazing how much extra you can charge for the videos. I was using a few years ago DJ Powers then came Virtual DJ (Which I love!!!). A few months ago I attended our local DJ Associations meeting. Had not been in a while. Everyone ask what program I was using and information on how I run my video shows. Well long story short...at least five of the DJ's have purchased Virtual DJ and are all getting into the video market. What has this done to my market? Well, now I have to compete for video shows with people who charge a lot less then I do for my shows. The only advantage I have is the number of videos and reputations with past clients.

Do I think videos are the way to go for every event? NO! However, just like people saying MP3's would not last, those same people are looking at video as the future. Remember, video is not just music videos...you have live camera feeds, customized picture videos, your logos you can even use the ambiens as a great light show on a wall, floor or ceiling. Just think outside the box!!!!

Mike

Posted Tue 09 May 06 @ 5:57 am
Well now...

@Dj Xeo :
"99% of the time there wil be some kind of permit they have forgoten to renew or some kind of licence they didnt know they needed."

Here is a qoute from Promo Only's web site on the FAQ's page in regards to that comment:

"If you are DJ in an established venue or something similar, public performance fees are most likely already being paid for. There are also exemptions for private events such as weddings, birthdays, and the like, as long as it is "private", you are not charging an admission, and it is not open to the general public."

@ the rest of the crew... and whomever reads this... :

I have been into video production since I was a kid and have a desire to make movies later on down the road when I can. Well along side that passion of video productions have been entertainment with DJ-ing as well. I have done many events where I have custom produced videos (photo montages, slide shows, demos, etc) and they have paid off in a big way. To have the option with confidence to add video to ANY event is a great thing.

I have been a club DJ for like 12 years now. I started out doing private parties then weddings and then clubs later on. Well I started out on vinyl and then had to purchase professional expensive CD players to make the move forward. Changing with times about 5 years ago I invested into the digital relm with computer based DJ-ing. I STILL know DJ's who haven't even bought or invested in CD players let alone a PC or MAC to make that switch. You know what though. That is where they are at with this. Some of us love the advancements in the DJ entertainment thing.

I have always thought "outside the box."

I remember my first computer CD burner which costs me like $550. I was the one of the first DJ's in Houston Texas to make a mixed CD and put it in the local DJ record store for sale. I then started doing custom remixes and edits and was able to play them live that week at the club. At the time it was unheard of. Since then I have been making re-edits and remixes on video and playing them live with my credits typed out on the screen. "DJ Phat AL Remix"... couldn't exactly say that on a mic everytime you play a custom remix or edit before. My point is that most people whom already in the groove of whatever they are doing whether it is DJ-ing with crappy belt driven turntables or a bad ass $2000 computer set up, we are all DJ's with different styles wants and needs. I personally love the technology and would love to keep up with the ever grown trend of the visual element to any show.

One last thing. I have been helping out a club owner with some of his slow nights at a club and he loves the video mixing. He pointed out to me that as slow as the club was through the beginning of the night he noticed that NO ONE was bored. EVERYONE was enjoying the video mix show and reflecting back on the old videos and loving the new stuff. NO ONE LEFT THE BAR!!! THEY SPENT MONEY!!! Along side the videos I have made it possible through my production skills to make any video mix show sound as good as using just audio now. Depends on the clients whether they will happen to look up and notice the video now. I don't care either way. I know what I am doing is skilled and in demand and I still get paid and love the hell out of it.

--- to future and beyond ....

Posted Tue 09 May 06 @ 7:49 am
Video is Great BUT!!!!!!!!!

Hi

I'm a great fan of Video.
Just for the record even as way back as 1980/81 I was doing shows of music videos 6 nights a week using pre-launch Philips Laservision Players and, because we didn't have big plasma screens then I had a pile of 8 televisions on top of each other. That was in the days when everyone was saying that Compact Disc would never catch on. I was a bit limited for choice of videos, but it still worked. I even used active speakers to keep the setup easy. It's undoubtedly good to watch the artistes and their videos, particularly when they complement the music and set a mood.

I have some reservations, though, and I am going to post them just to be awkward.

All through my DJing life I've been aware that the groove and dancing is a subconcscious thing, and that people get that vibe through their body as a sort of mechanical automatic response to the rhythms and the bass and the vocals and all that stuff. There may be no reason why getting vibes through the eyes is a bad thing in. But, I would hate to see a dancefloor where everyone is dancing and staring at screens. It just seems to take away that sort of unconscious buzz of the music and the body movement that is somehow primeval.

When people dance they express themselves, communicate with their partner, engage in pre-mating behaviour, have a laugh etc, but most of all, they should feel the beat and the groove.

I just want to keep on remembering that because first and foremost it's the music that matters to me.

Asymptote

Posted Tue 09 May 06 @ 10:27 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)