Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Beat&Bass

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey! How can I increase the bass without having a bad sound?
[I've home edition!]

Posted Fri 05 May 06 @ 3:10 pm
TexZKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Well, you can't increase basses too much, because the sound will SATURATE. To understand this, you must know that each channel can have a value from -32768 to 32767 (look at waveforms to understand). If you increase the bass, the volume/gain will be higher, until it reaches these limits of amplitude. After that, exceeeding values will be "clamped" (limited) to them: this is called "saturation". So, you hear a bad sound because the sound saturates, and we can't do nothing. At best, turn up the volume of your amplifier/speakers and cut down medium and high frequencies. In fact, it's better cutting down frequencies than boost them, to avoid saturation. This way, you'll have bass boosted (until your amplifier/speakers saturate again, after that you can't do nothing) without loosing in sound quality.
If you buy the full version (I suggest you that, even if I don't buy it, just because money isn't mine, and I'm not a pro, just an amateur), you can use the "subbass.dll" effect plugin, which boosts up the lowest bass frequencies, to give a deeper "sensation". However, always remember to not reach saturation!

Posted Fri 05 May 06 @ 3:48 pm
Thanks for this informations and the hint ;)
And there's no other way to do this?
Because I think a real Techno/Trance-song should have the bass :P
... I think I'm looking for the "full" version!

Posted Fri 05 May 06 @ 5:06 pm
I've said you everything. The hint is to boost up the volume and cut down mid and high frequencies, or basses will saturate. It happens easily with deep bass techno songs, like the ones played by Chris Liebing (which have very boosted basses)!

Posted Sat 06 May 06 @ 11:22 am
this is amazing

Posted Sun 21 May 06 @ 9:39 am
Dj_OZYHome userMember since 2006
Thanks!

Posted Sat 27 May 06 @ 10:51 am
super

Posted Sat 22 Jul 06 @ 4:03 pm
good

Posted Thu 03 Aug 06 @ 3:33 pm
874589Home userMember since 2006
(nt = no text)

Posted Thu 03 Aug 06 @ 7:45 pm
Another tip: if you have the money (much much much money), you can buy a powerful tube amplifier. This way the sound won't saturate generating odd frequencies (the ones which make the sound bad), but only armonic octaves. However, it's very difficult (maybe impossible) to find a tube amplifier to power disco speakers (thousands Watts), but they're good for a home/room use. In addition, even if armonic octaves won't sound as bad as odd frequencies (transistors), saturation is always a bad thing. Keep this in mind. In VirtualDJ, to reduce saturation, I keep the song gain between -3dB and -4dB, so if you mix two drums it shouldn't get saturated, but remember the tips posted in the other posts.

Posted Fri 04 Aug 06 @ 6:22 pm
djlesgoHome userMember since 2006
Good Tnx

Posted Fri 18 Aug 06 @ 5:15 pm
good

Posted Tue 22 Aug 06 @ 1:24 pm
graxias

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 5:35 am
thanks you

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 5:43 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)