Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Veteran DJs - Been a DJ for a long time?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

HI,

I'm not sure that Veteran DJ is the right terminology and might have different meanings in different countries.

BUT

I do know that a lot of the DJs in the VDJ community have been at it a long time.

I started DJing in 1973/4 with hiome made equipment and have DJed sometimes part time on top of a day job, some time when at college and sometime full time professional.

I've lots of stories, and I'm sure a lot of you have.

I wondered if anybody though there was any merit in forming an International "Veteran" DJ Club or Association. I'd be happy to run it, organise a website, etc. I would want it to be Non-Profit, just for fun and to help each other and all other DJs, no matter how long they have been going.

It could be a chance to give something back for all the good times (and tough times) us older DJs have had, maybe do some charity work, etc.

First Question: - Is this a dumb idea?

Second Question - what should it be called? - Is Veteran the right name?

Cheers

Andy

Posted Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 5:37 pm
Asymptote: “I'm not sure that Veteran DJ is the right terminology…”

The name you might be looking for is “Old School DJ’s”. Another name you might consider is “Vinyl Veterans” since that’s all we had to use back in the day except for 8-tracks. I might join your organization if I like its purpose.

Asymptote: “I wondered if anybody though there was any merit in forming an International "Veteran" DJ Club or Association….It could be a chance to give something back for all the good times (and tough times)…maybe do some charity work, etc.”

http://www.feedthechildren.org/site/PageServer?pagename=dotorg_homepage

I've seen the founder of this organization on tv asking for help with this much needed cause.
If you look at the bottom of the page, you will see that it is supported by another organization called Party City. I’m sure there’s room for another organization such as “Old School DJ’s” or “Vinyl Veterans”. One endeavor that this organization really needs help with is this one:

http://www.feedthechildren.org/site/PageServer?pagename=abc_homepage

They actually have a center in Africa where people drop of sick, dying, and unwanted kids. Any help your "future organization" could give them would be a blessing bro! Furthermore, there are numerous other charitable organizations that need help. If you decide to go the charitable route, you’ll probable need a name for you organization that reflects your cause.

Asymptote: “Is this a dumb idea?”

The world needs more people like you who are willing to help others. Therefore, it isn’t “a dumb idea;” it's an ADMIRABLE IDEA!

OO

Posted Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 7:02 pm
How about, "Back In The Day DJ". I still have an 8 track player and a recorder. If there is a purpose, I would be interested. As for giving back, that implies we were takers. If anything, we have done more then our share of giving, but that is another story. You have the right idea.

Posted Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 7:43 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)