Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: VDJ Possible On Mac! - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
Listen up mac heads!

CUPERTINO, California—April 5, 2006—Apple® today introduced Boot Camp, public beta software that enables Intel-based Macs to run Windows XP. Available as a download beginning today, Boot Camp allows users with a Microsoft Windows XP installation disc to install Windows XP on an Intel-based Mac®, and once installation is complete, users can restart their computer to run either Mac OS® X or Windows XP. Boot Camp will be a feature in “Leopard,” Apple’s next major release of Mac OS X, that will be previewed at Apple’s Worldwide Developer Conference in August.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/apr/05bootcamp.html

Mac's running windows...wow does them mean that apple finally gets part of the gamers lol....No word on if mac's will get up to date video hardware.

Posted Fri 07 Apr 06 @ 4:51 am
This is good news for Mac owners if not a horribly expensive solution. It is possible to natively run Mac OSX Tiger on PCs too, although it's best you have an SSE3 compliant CPU if you want sound. Does anyone know if Virtual DJ works under Linux when using Wine and the d3ddx9 plugin?

Posted Fri 07 Apr 06 @ 9:39 am
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
I tested it yesterday on iMac Core Duo (winXP) and VDJ works very well!

Maybe i will buy MacBook pro next year ;)

Posted Fri 07 Apr 06 @ 11:10 am
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
oh that's great it already has been tested
maybe that vdj's next level: use mac in clubs with vdj :D

Posted Fri 07 Apr 06 @ 2:05 pm
Jeremie: for me is this 100% truth :P just 3125 eur i need to buy macbook pro lol :D

Posted Fri 07 Apr 06 @ 7:25 pm
I'm going to pickup a macbook once they add a two-button trackpad. It sounds silly but that one minor thing drives me crazy.

Can anyone else can further describe the video performance of the new macbook w/ VDJ? using vobs? mg1?

Thanks!

Posted Mon 17 Apr 06 @ 9:02 am
By the way,

As it has been announced already, Numark VirtualVinyl will be released as a cross-platform software (meaning, working on both PC, powerpc mac and intel mac).

It has not been decided yet if virtualdj v4 will be released on mac as well.
But if it is, the mac version will probably be a yearly snapshot of the pc version (which means virtualdj on pc will have new versions comming out every few months as usual, whereas the mac version will only be updated like once a year).
So people who wants to use the latest version of virtualdj on a mac are definitely advised to use it with bootcamp and windows.

Posted Mon 17 Apr 06 @ 10:45 am
It would be GREAT to have this program on mac ;)

I decided i won't buy pc desktop ever! So soon i won't buy pc laptop but mac book :D

Posted Mon 17 Apr 06 @ 7:31 pm
I bought a mac book pro to run virtual dj on but it has some problems outputing the video on the mac when will you be putting out the mac version and will you let people who bought the pc version to run on mac book pro upgrade to the native mac version when it arives
Thanks
Rufftrack

Posted Sun 05 Nov 06 @ 12:47 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
its all a bit quiet on the mac side............there isnt realy much info on the status of it.........they did say before christmass at one point tho..........................not that i care, i personaly dont have a mac so im all for them not spending any time on it at all :P

Posted Sun 05 Nov 06 @ 4:07 am
Rufftrak wrote :
I bought a mac book pro to run virtual dj on but it has some problems outputing the video on the mac when will you be putting out the mac version and will you let people who bought the pc version to run on mac book pro upgrade to the native mac version when it arives
Thanks
Rufftrack

Dj Xeo wrote :
its all a bit quiet on the mac side............there isnt realy much info on the status of it.........they did say before christmass at one point tho..........................not that i care, i personaly dont have a mac so im all for them not spending any time on it at all :P

No Mac version would mean no adoption of VDJ among PROFESSIONAL turntablists. If this were the case [and it's not Rufftrak], Serato Scratch Live and Stanton Final Scratch would continue to reign [Rane] supreme in the professional club and radio dj circuit here in the U.S.

VDJ would continue to be the favorite of wannabe bedroom and/or club beat matchers and the joke of the REAL dj industry, regardless of video and karaoke.

No, Numark knows that they would get LAUGHED out of the profesional circuit here if they didn't release the best dj software on the FAR more stable and utilized [by professionals] Mac platform, knowing that that is exactly why Rane and Stanton have ALWAYS had Mac versions of their software.

Atomix is just late to the party on this one, but gonna have to change it's view if it wants to become widely adopted on this side of the pond. Numark will make sure that they do.

Funny to see windows users hoping that a better version of VDJ is gonna somehow fix broken windows.

Yes Rufftrack, as Xeo stated, Atomix had said before Christmas or around the holiday season. Also, they said the "crossgrade" from VDJ Pro for windows to VDJ Pro for Mac would be free.

What problems are you having with video output on your MacBook Pro? I don't have any issue with that on mine. I've just given up on trying to use VDJ for any SERIOUS scratching when spinning with my dj partners [Beat Junkies - Icy Ice, Curse, Melo-D]. I'll wait for the Mac version and give it another try then.

Until then, it's all Serato on Macs during primetime at the clubs. It's a beautiful sight to see all Apple Mac logos being used by WORLD FAMOUS turntablists. They've ALL switched from windows to Mac in the past year because they've all learned that winBlows.

I use VDJ for eye candy and beat mixing ONLY at the beginning of our events. Hopin' for the Mac version REAL soon.

- ConQuest

Posted Tue 07 Nov 06 @ 11:34 am
Mac version is in testing. I think it will be out till christmas as they said ;) Can't wait :D I just hope it will be universal app ;)

Posted Tue 07 Nov 06 @ 11:48 am
xeon wrote :
Mac version is in testing. I think it will be out till christmas as they said ;) Can't wait :D I just hope it will be universal app ;)

THANKS XEON!!! Can't wait!

Just curious . . . did you mean it won't be out 'til AFTER Christmas, or that it may be out BY Christmas? I noticed that the expected release time for Numark's Virtual Vinyl got pushed back to January 2007 from October 2006 at Pro Sound & Stage Lighting. [pssl.com]. I see that as Numark's SMART move to NOT launch Virtual Vinyl without having BOTH a Mac and windows version available at the SAME time.

Why do you want a Universal Binary version? Do you have a non-Intel Mac (PowerPC)?

I think it would be GREAT if there is a Universal version so that people with PowerBooks and iBooks (non Intel Macs) will be able to use the software too.

I'll bet that that would not only ensure a MUCH more rapid adoption of Atomix's VDJ and Numark's Virtual Vinyl here in the US and in the professional circuit, but it will make those users want to buy new MacBooks that much sooner (which is good news for me). ;)

The numbers don't lie: 1.6 million Macs were sold in only 3 months (July, August, September); 1 million (60%) of those Macs were Apple notebooks (MacBooks and MacBook Pro's); that's DOUBLE the number BOTH Apple and Wall street had estimated; of those 1 million, approximately 300,000 (30%) of those consumers were new to Mac but NOT first time computer purchasers . . . they are former windows users switching to Mac.

In ALL of 2005, about 400,000 windows users switched to Mac. In only 1 quarter of 2006 (3rd quarter) - 300,000 switchers. Combined with the 1st and 2nd quarter of 2006, windows users switching to Mac has ALREADY doubled from 2005's numbers (over 800,000). . . and we haven't even hit the Holiday buying season yet!

Do you see a trend here? Well, it's NOT a trend. It's the REALIZATION that windows is the problem with windows computers, NOT so much the make or model of the hardware.

THANK YOU SWITCHERS for choosing to THINK DIFFERENT.

windows to Mac "switchers" will EASILY top a million in 2007 (the number seems to be doubling year over year by Wall Street's estimates, not Apple's) when Vista proves to be the glorified junk that it is, and Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard chews it up and spits it out.

NO company wants to miss out on THAT kind of a revolutionary sales boom. That's EXACTLY why large technology retailers across the U.S. (Best Buy, Circuit City) are rapidly opening "Apple Shops" within their existing stores like the one's in CompUSA.

So hurry up Atomix and get us the Mac version of VDJ! =)

- ConQuest

Posted Tue 07 Nov 06 @ 12:26 pm
metiznPRO InfinityMember since 2005
how much do you get payed for that????

Posted Tue 07 Nov 06 @ 12:45 pm
alx2kPRO InfinityMember since 2004
metizn wrote :

For sure he is not paid with a Windows Vista upgrade.

Probably you are right, and Apple computer rock. but by now... I'll stick to PCs, still cheaper and has more upgrade posibilities (either software and hardware).

BTW I agree that MAC are light years better than PCs for some specific purposes. But I require none of them. Music mixing, of course, but my PC does well. Also VDJ has been always developed and aimed at PC market. I hope the best for their MAC release, but I expect it to be buggy, at least the first release.

Posted Tue 07 Nov 06 @ 1:05 pm
metizn wrote :

Lol. =D

I get paid quite well for EVERY switcher thank you very much . . . and it just keeps getting EASIER everyday.

It's like an unstoppable avalanche now, and I'm NOT over dramatizing. Where 4 years ago in 2002 it took an average of 2-3 visits for a windows user to siwtch to Mac, that number of visits had been cut in half since 2004 until April of this year, and now, because of the ability to run windows on a Mac, these former windows users are coming in and just asking for Macs with windows because they need to run microsoft Office.

HERE'S THE KICKER: MOST windows users quickly realize that they don't need windows AT ALL (and the problems that come with it), just Microsoft Office, which is available for Mac.

WELCOME SWITCHER! The BIGGEST Mac advocates are the most recent windows switchers, because they still remember how bad windows was.

But don't listen to me, just look at the PUBLICLY available numbers (actual private numbers are a LOT more impressive, but still private). ;)

- Apple is now worth more than Dell (has been all of 2006):

"Nine years after Michael Dell said he'd shut down Apple and give the money to the shareholders, Apple has passed Dell in market value, at $72,132,428,843 compared to Dell's $71,970,702,760..."

http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/01/14/0032228

- and Apple just kicked Dell out of 2nd place in the UK's educational sales:

"I've been seeing a lot of people using Macs at the university I work at lately and that made me wonder whether this is a more widespread phenomenon. It seems that it is. According to an article at Macworld, Apple is now ranked second in the UK education market..."

http://www.tuaw.com/2006/10/31/apple-inches-ahead-of-dell-in-uk-education-market/

Knowledge is power, but I still believe in the Art of War [that's why I don't work AT Apple, but FOR them in a predominantly windows environment... "keep your friends close and your enemies closer"), and that the element of surprise is key to winning a war, so:

"Nah. You're right. NO ONE is switching from windows to Mac. Keep moving along, nothing to see here boys and girls."

- ConQuest

Posted Tue 07 Nov 06 @ 1:16 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
hehe nice

mac to expensive for me lol

Posted Tue 07 Nov 06 @ 1:40 pm
alx2k wrote :
metizn wrote :

For sure he is not paid with a Windows Vista upgrade.

That would be punishment.

alx2k wrote :
I'll stick to PCs, still cheaper and has more upgrade posibilities (either software and hardware).

You are ABSOLUTELY correct! I DO NOT argue with people like yourself who either know how to manage windows, or like to build and/or upgrade your hardware.

There ARE more options for Linux and windows computers.

My point is that in my experience of dealing with people 5x a week, 8 hours a day, for the past 4 years, MOST users just want a computer that works, and are happy to trade upgradeability for reliability, which comes from quality control. Apple is the ONLY computer manufacturer that develops it's OS SPECIFICALLY for it's own hardware configuration.

BAD for upgradeability. GREAT for reliability.

For the AVERAGE customer, their computers are too important now to trust important information [documents, pictures, videos, music, etc.] to an antiquated BIOS, registry based, plagued windows operating system whether that information is for work, school, or home.

People want their computers to be more than glorified typewriters and gaming consoles, they want to be able to TRUST their computers without having to maintain them and dumping a bunh of money into preventitive, recovery, or even productivity software.

My most common windows to Mac switcher sale? A Mac and Office for Mac (or "iWork" - http://www.apple.com/iwork/ - if the switcher doesn't need Excel, but needs Word and PowerPoint).

That's it.

ALL Macs come with iLife http://www.apple.com/ilife/ - HIGH QUALITY, user friendly software MADE BY APPLE to create and manage all those other forms of media and information.

alx2k wrote :
BTW I agree that MAC are light years better than PCs for some specific purposes. But I require none of them.

Then stick with what you know and need. Nothing wrong with that. =)

alx2k wrote :
Music mixing, of course, but my PC does well.

Again, if it works for you, it's all good.

alx2k wrote :
Also VDJ has been always developed and aimed at PC market.

Yup. Time for Atomix to "come of age" in the PROFESSIONAL market and see if they can hang with the big boy, Serato Scratch Live, and it's dominant user base of TURNTABLISTS on Macs.

It's gonna be tough, but I think that they can do it (with help and backing from a major player like Numark).

alx2k wrote :
I hope the best for their MAC release, but I expect it to be buggy, at least the first release.

I hope the best for it too, of course. However, I don't think it'll be NEARLY as buggy as VDJ for windows, but that's because we won't be running it on a buggy, resource hogging, bloated and driver issue plagued OS.

I only posted in this thread because of dj Xeo's uncalled for response to Rufftrak's inquiry about the Mac version's progress.

Does Rufftrak who is simply sharing that he recently bought a MacBook Pro to run VDJ really deserve a response like, "not that i care, i personaly dont have a mac so im all for them not spending any time on it at all :P"?

That's NOT a good way to treat fellow VDJ users who have bought Macs and that obviously Numark and Atomix see as an important demographic to cater to since, as you yourself have stated alx2k, "VDJ has been always developed and aimed at (the windows) PC market".

If us Mac users are SO small in numbers and therefore OBVIOUSLY insignificant, and NO windows users are switching to Macs (especially by the hundreds of thousands), then why even bother with a Mac version?

Food for thought people . . . food for thought.

Thanks for your CIVIL response alx2k. =)

- ConQuest

Posted Tue 07 Nov 06 @ 1:46 pm
metiznPRO InfinityMember since 2005
i'm almost sure there will be some bugs in the first mac version, also i'm afraid it won't work properly on my 12" iBook :-(

Posted Tue 07 Nov 06 @ 2:01 pm
metizn wrote :
i'm almost sure there will be some bugs in the first mac version, also i'm afraid it won't work properly on my 12" iBook :-(

Oh yeah, there'll definately be some bugs. But it's all relative and proportional.

Buggy software on a buggy windows OS = unbearably buggy and NO CHANCE IN HELL that microsoft's gonna help in that equation.

Buggy software on a stable Mac OS = buggy but bearable . . . as long as Atomix stays on the ball. You won't have to worry about the OS at least.

As far as the iBook, it all depends on whether it's gonna be a Universal Binary or not, like Xeon is hoping for.

I hope it is though, so all of you iBook and PowerBook users can join in. =)

Posted Tue 07 Nov 06 @ 2:08 pm
65%