Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Updated: How To Convert Karaoke Disk (With Labels for VDJ)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

NOTE: I posted this in my blog as well, and if someone could tell me how to post pic in there, I'll put them in as well!

How to convert CDG (karaoke disks) to play in VDJ:

If you follow this, you will end up with PERFECT .zip files that will play in VDJ that will be perfectly labeled with artist, title, track, and disc number. Some settings are to taste.

Software Needed:
Genuine copy Windows XP SP2 [Not free :0( ]
Microsoft Net Framework 1.1 [Free, Google it]
VDJ ;0) [Reasonably Priced www.virtualdj.com ]
Audiograbber [Free, version 1.83 www.audiograbber.net or Google it]
MP3+G Toolz [Free, version 4.0.1.5 www.activeaspsoftware.net ]
ASPI Installed [Free, www.adaptec.com ]

Please go to www.kjpro.com and familiarize yourself with their labeling system:
SC = Sound Choice | SFG = Sunfly Gold | TU = Top Tunes | PHU = Pop Hits Monthly Urban | Etc…

TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE:
The more scratched your disks are, the less likely you will be able to get a GOOD looking file on your PC. Remember if you scratch the TOP, you’re screwed, so place your CDs label side UP, not down!

In order to copy the lyrics portion of a karaoke track, you should have a CD/DVD burner that WILL read RAW Sub code Data. 99.9% of all Plextor Brands can read this data.

Settings Audiograbber:
General:
Pick a Directory where you want the files saved
Naming, click “Advanced” button and insert “%2-%3” (to work with Toolz)
Use ASPI
Rip Method “Dynamic Synch Width”
DAE Speed (Slower is better especially on scratched CDs)

Audio Encoding
Check “Direct Rip and Encode to MP3 file”
Uncheck “ID3v1 Tag”
Uncheck “Rip All Tracks Before Encoding”
Check “Internal Encoder”
Select “Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec (Professional)”
Mode: YOUR CHOICE

Settings MP3+G Toolz
NOTES: Settings won’t take until you close and re-open Toolz, check after you’ve made these changes. Because of this, I would NOT recommend using Toolz to RIP CDGs… your disks will all be mislabeled.
Click the Options Tab
Select your Auto-Renaming “DISC-TRACK ARTIST – TITLE” works well
Check the following four of five boxes:
Auto-Rename Zip Files (Requires Internet Access) IMPORTANT!
Recurse Folders
Delete The Old Files After Processing IMPORTANT!
Rename Bin Files During Auto-Renaming Before Conversion (important, not sure)

Click on the Zip Compression
Select “5 – Default Compression”
IMPORTANT NOTE: You have MANY choices here surrounding how MUCH compression. DO NOT PICK ANYTHING ELSE! If you do, you are likely to make the file non-functional in this or any other application!

Making your first tracks:

Insert a CDG into your burner
Open Audiograbber
Click “Refresh” (every time you insert a new CDG)
Type the disk number in the Album Box (IMPORTANT, use the KJPro Label here, that way when you use Toolz later, you will have the correct artist and title in your file)
Click “CD” then “Grab CDG Tracks (Karaoke)” then “Grab to .cdg + compressed file”
Wait….
NOTE: Audio Grabber in tests has defeated Media Cloq AND Multisession CDs without any unnecessary gimmicks.

Insert next CDG and Repeat as necessary from “Refresh”
You can do this with all your CDs or one at a time as necessary. If a singer brings a CDG to you show and your computer can handle it (Usually a Dual Core WILL), you can insert his/her CD on the fly and copy the track/tracks to a temporary file one at a time. If the disk is a Media Cloq, you may have to import the whole CD.

Organize Your Collection for VDJ:

Right Mouse Click on the Folder where you put all these karaoke tracks in.
Click on “MP3+G Toolz .Net 4”

In Toolz:
Click “Convert Audio+G to Zip”
Wait… Maybe go to bed if there are a lot of files.
Confirm that all your files are labeled correctly. If your file doesn’t have the Artists and Title information, either you’ve labeled the Disk incorrectly, or your internet isn’t working. Confirm, rename and try again with the “Rename Files From Internet Button” NOTE: This will check EVERY FILE in the folder AGAIN, so if you have only a FEW mislabeled disks, create a sub-folder and paste them in there and run Toolz on that folder.

Toolz labels disks correctly 99% of the time. Some brands with vocals (Pocket Songs for example but not Pop Hit or Top Hits Monthly) often end up mislabeled with the phrase, “w/vocal” This is KJPro’s error, nothing else.

Once you have .zip files it is just a matter of loading them into Virtual DJ.
Make sure you ADD the “zip” to the "EXTENSION" tab in Virtual DJ and assign the karaoke reader.

I know of two CDG brands (not currently made) that do NOT play correctly when converted to the computer, SAVA (P maybe as well) and All Hits. All Hits WILL play the song and lyrics correctly, but the opening screen won’t be displayed properly. This is in natural issue with VDJ that may be addressed.

I have over 32,000 songs, 65% of them were created this way, and 98% were labeled this way. They all work fine in VDJ.

Good Luck!

My Next HOW TO will be on making a FREE Karaoke Book in Excel from these files.

Posted Sun 02 Apr 06 @ 3:36 pm
PCGumshoe,
very good and clear "How to". You can simply add pictures in your blog. During editing move to the position within the blog where the picture should be located. Then in the edit bar at the bottom of the screen, click on the camera icon. Browse for a file and click Send.
Ewout

Posted Sun 02 Apr 06 @ 4:20 pm
Nope... I tried that and it didn't work... I get NO reaction from any of those buttons.

Posted Sun 02 Apr 06 @ 7:49 pm
ktilakPRO InfinityMember since 2006
a great way to put pictures in is to use photobucket ( http://www.photobucket.com ) you just sign up completely for free, and then u can upload images into your account...when u upload a certain image, it'll display the code that u can use to insert it into html code

http://imageshack.us/ is another one that doesn't even require a free registration- just upload your image and get the image code... the only thing is this service deletes your image if nobody looks at it for 60 days i believe

Posted Sun 02 Apr 06 @ 11:27 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
tnx!

Posted Tue 09 May 06 @ 1:30 pm
Slash4PRO InfinityMember since 2003
@PCGumShoe

Those buttons only work under Internet Explorer.
Mozilla, firefox and others wont work.

Posted Tue 09 May 06 @ 1:48 pm
Ah, that would explain it then... love my Firefox, but there are a few things that don't work. Thanks!

Posted Tue 09 May 06 @ 3:35 pm
defun51PRO InfinityMember since 2018
Thank you very much...just wish me "Good Luck!!!)

Posted Tue 24 Mar 09 @ 6:55 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)