Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Hercules DJ Console MK2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Some of you may know me from last year when I was very active on this forum. Things have evolved (mainly my dj career got a big lift-off) and today I was asked again to beta test the new dj Console. Some months ago I made a list with several arguments to enhance the console. I was a beta tester for the old console and I did some workshops in Holland and Belgium for Hercules.

I received a brief explaination that Hercules will not develop a pro version of the console. The piece of equipment is especially made for the home consumer, but the product is strong enough to be used in a pro environment. Althoug a bit disappointed that no pro version will ever see the light I still wanted to test the package.

Today a special delivery arrived with UPS. The box on the outside is pretty much the same as the old one, a few enhancements like two turntables surrounding the console. Excited to open the box! The plastic cover reminded me of the old console. Holding the console in my hand it felt a bit more solid than the old console. This is mainly because of the iron edges of the box. The color of the console is a little bit smoother than the old one. More gray and beige.

A brief look shows no big changes to the looks of the console. All the buttons are identically then the old console, except the jog wheels. Cross fader and sliders are the same. First comes first, the installation. I formatted my music computer to make sure that I would have a clean install (I had running several version of Virtual DJ, going from 1.09 to 3.1). The drivers install neatly, with the enclosed CD. The software of Virtual DJ is automatically loaded and despite the mentioning of MixVibes in the manual, Virtual DJ is the solely software available. A little addendum page makes this very clear. No problem, because I used to play only with Virtual DJ.

The moment of truth arrived... plugging in the console showed that the lights underneath the buttons had a bit of other colours. Perhaps they are the same, but with the new look of the console it looked different. Then I started Virtual DJ and ... a serial number is asked. I've searched and searched and searched but none of the numbers that I found are valid. The number on the bottom of the console is unvalid. Not in the manual, not on the box, nowhere I could find a number that worked.

So I mailed the people at Hercules and Virtual DJ about this. I hope to receive an answer very quick so I can test the console very thorough this weekend. I'll keep you updated what my diagnostics are. So far I've found some really good new features!

First, the jog wheels feel a bit more smoother, they are made of another kind of material. I have to see how they react on the software. Biggest approvement is the headphone knob. A special feature that allows several possibilities to (pre)listen to your music. Deck A, Deck B, Mix and Split is possible! Big improvement. The cross fader slider is a bit loosely, just like the old version. But this is a feature that I don't use. The sliders of the volume are feeling a bit better than the old version. But this will show in a couple of months, after some extensive use. The knobs play and cue and other white ones seem to be the same. I pressed them and I don't feel an improvement, but this has to be tested with the software. Further more, massive possibilities on the back! You can add turntables, cd players and other things. For me: not necessary. I have enought with two channels in MP3.

If the test at home will be good, then I will use this console when I go to Carré (www.carre.be) in two weeks. I have to do a retro night and already played there with the old console. The best way to test the console is before a live audience. In the past, the problem of the music output was sometimes a big problem. I hope that the output sound has been improved.

More info as soon as I can use the software!

Posted Thu 27 Oct 05 @ 11:40 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Why you dont use the full 3.1 version ?
Sad to see the cue/play buttons are still the same. I'm waiting for more reviews about the buttons. (the main problem for v1 console)

Posted Fri 28 Oct 05 @ 4:09 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
I'm still hopeful that although the buttons feel the same, they will hold up better than those of the old console. That is by far the biggest issue with the old console.

On the less bright side, if they are only just getting Beta testers now, then I doubt that it will be available to the public anytime soon.

@ Elof: Thanks for the review so far and keep us updated please.

Posted Fri 28 Oct 05 @ 5:20 pm
Please give us some infoo.

Posted Thu 03 Nov 05 @ 7:55 pm
I got a message from Hercules that said

Dear Customer,

We do not have any official release date for the MKII but I know DJConsoles have
been shipped in Europe so they might be available really soon.
They will be availbale in North America later.

Best Regards,

The Guillemot Technical Support Team
http://uk.guillemot.com
514-279-9911

Posted Thu 03 Nov 05 @ 8:15 pm
PuttePRO InfinityMember since 2004
The new Hercules will arrive to the swedish distrubutor on the november 8. the date is confirmed.

Posted Fri 04 Nov 05 @ 5:07 pm
sexyjHome userMember since 2004
""First, the jog wheels feel a bit more smoother, they are made of another kind of material. I have to see how they react on the software.""

I think the problem with the old console was the wheel was TOOOOO smooth, it doesnt duplitcate the drag of the scratching pad, making scratching very hard...

Posted Fri 04 Nov 05 @ 6:45 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
The only real scratch "instrument" is the turntable.
It has a big 12" spinning metal plater and you have unlimited ways to use your hands
and create various scratch sounds.
Unless you call scratch the "weke-weke"
This is the only sound you can produce with a 10cm jog whatever it is "smooth" or not.
However jogs are good enough for pitch-bend
Just to clarify some thinks.

Posted Sat 05 Nov 05 @ 4:37 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
If it's like the dj control mp3, the virtualdj serial is to on the white CD pocket.

Then you can enter it into your profile too

Posted Sat 05 Nov 05 @ 11:39 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
No he's right, you need to contact hercules or call the number in the book.

Posted Sat 05 Nov 05 @ 2:29 pm
@djelof

You can use the consol with the full version .... correct ??

Regarding the Consol Version of VDJ, that came with Hercules, there has been a little mix up with the first few sendt from the factory. Please contact Hercules for a valid serial

But, as far as I know, it should not be needed with the FULL version of VDJ, that you already have

Posted Sat 05 Nov 05 @ 3:05 pm
i had the same issue

just call hercules support , you will directly have a serial !!!!!!

This is the number to call for Belgium : 02 732 55 77

Posted Wed 09 Nov 05 @ 5:39 pm
I'm still testing the console. I've been working with it for one week and everything seems to be okay, expect one thing.. I get glitches in the software. Further more, I'm really sorry guys, but I am still not convinced of the improvement of version 3.1 to 1.09. I can't seem to get hold of the new sync! For an unknown reason my beats are flawless in version 1.09 and in 3.1 they give problems. It's like the beats go out of sync after a while. This is really disturbing! Many times I experience another problem: when I put on beatlock, I start track A and after a few minutes I start track B, they don't match. Virtual DJ seems to mess up the sync. The beat of track B goes in the middle between two beats of track A. The only solution is to quickly press stop, push the beatmatch button off and on again and do it again. Also, when pressing the beatmatch button I often hear a delay in the track that is playing.

I've tested the console at club Carré last Thuersday and I experienced two big glitches (noticeable to the audience). When I turned the knobs from the bass or the mid tones too fast the glitches came. The music delayed (like you tap on the stop/play button of a vinyl player really fast). This happened in the first 15 minutes of my set. So after this I was extremely carefull to use the buttons and luckily it went fine for the next 1 hour 45 minutes.

I have an Acer 1500 computer, with Athlon XP 64 bit processor and 512 Mb memory. I see that the scrolling of the sync (at the top of Virtual DJ) seems to go a bit slower than with version 1.09. Could it be that my problems are because of my computer? I can hardly believe it, because this is still one of the top models. I even formatted my whole harddisk to be sure that nothing of other software could give problems. Nevertheless, I experience this problem with the glitches.

Anyway... up to the good news. The console has been improved. The look and feel may be the same, but the buttons feel a bit more accurate. Cue and Play work fine, but to be honest.. I don't use them. I always did and will do it with the mouse pointer on the computer. The buttons of the MID, TREBLE and BASS are the same as the old version, but.. it could be my mind, but I think they are a little bit better than the old version. Other buttons like pitch bend and audio source have no use for me. When you play in a professional environment you will connect your console to an external mixing board. Messing with the cables from the vinyl players and cd players to connect to your console would take too much time and too much hassle. At home is another story, there I could really see the advantage of this feature.

A big improvement is the pre listening knob. Funny to see that there is a standard knob on the console (like the bass or treble knob) and in a little piece of plastic there comes another knob to replace this one. The new knob is specially carved to have a better grip on it. I would recommend everyone to replace the knob instantly. It just works smoother and gives you a better grip. You can pre listen to A or B channel, mix channel and even split. I never use split, but when I tested it... it was like channel A was completely in the left and channel B was like a bit in the left and on the right. This was a bit disturbing for me to hear, but like I said: no use for me. The mix function is the best one to check if everyting goes okay. We all know that in a club the delay of the sound sometimes could give a wrong impression.

The jog wheels! Aha... one of the main problems in the old version. I'm not a dj who scratches or does tricks with the jog wheels. I only use them to correct my sync of two beats. I have the feeling that it goes smoother. The jog wheels seem to be made of another quality and feel better. They are double the size of the old ones.

Last, but not least... I think the sound card has improved also. Usually when I go to clubs I have to put the gain level of the mixing panel (not the dj console) completely open to get enough power. Some mixing panels didn't even receive the input from the console good enough. At Carré we use a Rodec mixing board. This is a Belgian brand that is well represented in Belgium. My personal favorite is Pioneer, but the Rodec ones are known for their long lasting life. Anyway, it went okay! I had only push the button of the gain on the Rodec a little over the middle. One remark: if you feel that your music output is too low, just look in the control panel of Hercules and push up the level of sound. After first install, this is set to about the middle (no idea why Hercules does this).

My conclusion, based upon a first week of test driving: the console has improved and those of you who use this in a pro environment I would recommend buying. First of all, just because you receive version 3.1 from Virtual DJ (which is worth about 99 EUR). Second, those of you that use the tricks of the console will have use of better quality (jog wheels, button quality). Even only the split button is worth the purchase of a new console ;-)
For home use... to be quit honestly (I hope the people of Hercules aren't mad at me for saying this), I'm not convinced that this MKII is a must buy. But we all know that people are always fond of new things. So I'm pretty sure that many people will replace their old console. People that buy the console for the first time, definately buy the new version (like said before, just the software of Virtual dj is worth the buy).

I will further test drive the console and keep you up-to-date. If anyone has suggestions to the problems that I experience, please let me know! I would like to point out that these problems are only at my computer and don't represent everyone's problem.

Posted Sun 13 Nov 05 @ 2:01 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Good report mate,
I'd say you need to re-scan/analyze your tracks in 3.1, as it has a new BPM engine, so I reccomend you do this unless you already have.

Second, the waveform speed can be changed in settings, the reactivity settings, set to fast.

I understand you not being convinced with VDJ3.1, because you are used to 1.9, but anyone who's used the software from the begining like me will tell you that 3.1 is the best version by far, some still use 2.6, nobody would really use 1.9 (A very out of date version).

Nice to see your MK2 report, thanks for that, and do keep playing around with settings and cables etc, I'm sure most of the issues you mentioned have a fix for you, then you can update us :).

Posted Sun 13 Nov 05 @ 3:36 pm
I have a registered full version also. But, like I mailed to the Virtual DJ crew, my main problem is the beatlock function. I agree that using 4 decks can be handy, but in pro environment, it's not. I use two channels: A & B. When I click on the beatlock function in version 1.09 then instantly both channels are unlocked. So I can adjust very quickly any out of sync problem. With version 3.1 I can only click one channel every time. So... if I get an out of sync problem, I have to click twice and then adjust with the jog wheels. As this takes more time, the noticeable out-of-sync is hearable for the audience.

I also agree that software needs to move on and getting better. I totally agree that video will be the future. But... the future is not here right now. I'm a bit disappointed that all focus goes to video, instead of improving the pure basic mixing possibilities. I would rather like to see more tricks with sound than with video (at this moment). I think you can understand my point of view. Once again, I'm looking
to the software from a pro user point of view.

I've tried hundreds of times to work with any version above 1.09 and my feelings keeps getting back to the old software version. Once, there was a distinct improvement for me. When I try to load the track "Deep Dish - Say hello" in version 1.09, all beats are out of synchro. Virtual DJ gets it completely wrong. In version 3.1 it goes perfectly.

Let me go furhter into the beatlock problem. Some of you say: I don't use the beatlock function, I just click once with my right mouse and see that the song is okay. For me... the beatlock function is a miracle. I just love the sound of beats perfectly together. It gives such an extra to the sound and gives a smooth transition. Nobody, not even dj Tiesto or Sasha, can mix minutes with the beats completely in sync. Nobody can. So for me this feature is one of the main attractive points of Virtual DJ. No more hassling around with the picth, no more fear of having faulty beats. Thus... I use the software to do some more tricks: I use the dj console only at the retro parties at club Carré. I spinned 45 songs in 2 hours. Which is way much more than I usually spin with vinyl or CD. Normally I spin around 10 tracks in one hour. Retro is a funny music genre... it is usually gimmick songs with gimmick sounds that the people like. But gimmick sounds tend to be boring after 2 minutes. So short mixing is the key in doing a good retro set. For instance: Speedy J - Pullover, it's a massive tune the first minute and a half. After that, the song goes boring (note: this is my opinion).

With Virtual DJ I can mix instantly, thanks to the beatlock function, and do lots of tricks with the sounds, thanks to the FX'es. Loops are another god given miracle from Virtual DJ. So I focus on this instead of the pure basic mixing capabilities. I think this will be also the differences in dj's in the future. Let's face it: everybody can learn to beatmix and choose good music. That's where the future for dj's will be: how to create new music, new sounds with music that everybody can play or use.

Are there any other people that experience the same problems like me with the BPM engine?

Posted Sun 13 Nov 05 @ 4:10 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
No.., I haven't heard a simular comment since version 2.0 was released, since then people have been assured and have adjusted to doing things the 'new' way.

The BPM engine has been improved without reasonable doubt, what was removed was one of the "beatlocks" features, people have been saying for ages that they don't like the "magic" button, and the auto stuff too much, apart from sync, the Dev made a statement on the forum (quite a long time ago), basically asking if people would object to the Dev team removing a certain (can't remember exactly) beatlock feature, they said by removing it, they will be able to implement something they consider better.., 99% of users said go for it!, as very very few people ever used the "beatlock" feature, most people do use the BPM's, Waveforms and sync function..,

If the BPM's are accurate (as they are more accurate in 3.1 than 1.9 by far) and you successfuly match 2 beats, their shouldn't be any serious drift, a small amount of manual adjustment (seen on the waveform) can be done so easily.., you might also be surprised when I say that VDJ's beatlock and sync have never been 100% perfect, I consider a manual beat mix MUCH MUCH MORE ACCURATE, and it is!.

Note that since 1.9 a lot of bugs have been fixed, and the BPM detection was improved significantly, the audio engine it's self has also been enhanced, and more audio functions have been added for skinners to utilize, not to mention VST Effects support.

we are promised that "Timestretch" is being perfected at current (I think it will probably be in the next update, not sure), also the sound quality as a whole is being improved as a result of peoples comments, the gain detection needs to improve too, I think the importance of these ESSENTIAL fixes/improvements has been expressed by most of VDJ's users and has been acknowledged by the developers, and the developers/Team do truely serve their customers.

Some of this is just my view, I think you'd be happier running 3.1 once you adjust into it.

Posted Sun 13 Nov 05 @ 5:36 pm
Now I feel like a nOObie ;-)

I can assure you that I thoroughly tested everything at Virtual DJ. I use the program almost everyday at home. Besides the capabilities of mixing, it gives me a better insight how the tracks are built up and stuff like that. Also i test drive some mixes, just to see if the sounds are okay.

I'm convinced that version 3.1 is much better than 1.09. But apparantly I'm the only one that uses this beatlock function? For me that is the most advantage of Virtual DJ. I'm almost afraid to say: but after test driving the software (again) for a whole day, I just reformatted my computer and put version 1.09 again on it. Sorry folks...

Posted Sun 13 Nov 05 @ 9:05 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)