Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: How to broadcast Internet Radio [tutorial]

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DJGreyHome userMember since 2005
I've only been here a few days, but like others, I feel this is a needed thread.

First off, you will probably want VDJ. It's just a must. I use Sam2 and the trial of VDJ for mixing, but lets make this readable:

Requirements:
ShoutCAST/IceCast Server (FAST!!!)
A broadcasting software
A virtual mixer or DJ software

Reccomendations
ShoutCAST server on T1.
Sam2 Broadcaster with a 2gb computer using soundcard input.
VDJ (Latest)
FAST DJ connection. (I'm talking fast, not ISDN or DSL, Like Charter Cable fast. AKA 30 ping or lower in online games is equivilent)

Step 1) Find the password and server IP to your server. Input this into Sam2, WinAMP ShoutDJ, or whatever. Test the connection. Have a friend help you test it by listening to you just play some songs for a few minutes. If it skips at all, tone down the broadcast quality. (I DJ at 128, the Mp3 level).

Step 2) Set your broadcaster from internal songs to soundcard or mixer (You can have an external. ;) )
Soundcard is what you will need for it to hear your VDJ.

Step 3) Start up VDJ and test that connection with a friend. If they can't hear it, go down to troubleshooting.

Step 4) Mix away! Remember, A good online DJ is one that plays FEW commercials, and is mostly live, not automated. (Unless its in the 3:00-5:00AM range. I'm sleeping then.)

Steph 5) Give out the domain/IP to your server, or provide a link on your site. Example:
http://yourserver.com:8000 or http://yourserver.com/listen.pls or ##.###.##.##:8000

Troubleshooting:

Q: My friends can't hear my VDJ!
A: Your soundcard might not be working in what I call LoopBack mode. Open your Master Volume panel (the volume icon in your tray, PC users.) Click options, check recording, and check all options. Check Line In or the equivilent, it will disable your mic, but let you DJ.

Q:My song skips, What the heck?
A:If this is not a hardware problem, it is a connection one. Meaning either YOU or the SERVER is too slow. Reduce your sound quality. (32kpbs is okay for Dial-Up listners, and slow ISDN broadcasters. In fact its fast, but sound quality bites.)

Questions and comments be posted!

DJDarkGrey

Posted Thu 13 Oct 05 @ 11:21 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
DJDrakGrey,

Thanks for the info, sure is going to be helpful!

Posted Fri 14 Oct 05 @ 1:42 am
Any time, good sir.

Posted Fri 14 Oct 05 @ 1:55 am
Just an addidtion to your tutorial.

If you have a fast computer, with ample memory 1gb or above and a fast internet connection you can skip most of the steps and broadcast right from your virtual DJ Professional Edition.

My cable connection is 1mb upload I had about 7 people connected and enjoying my mix at 96kbps with no issues.

Also the Pro Version of VDJ lets you login to a server for broadcasting, so once again if you have a decent computer you can skip the shoucast server and use VDJ as your "All-in-One" source for broadcasting your internet radio.

Posted Fri 14 Oct 05 @ 2:12 am
True. Just remember some ISPs (Like Charter) reserve the right to cut internet service to any network/client running a server. ;)

Posted Fri 14 Oct 05 @ 2:30 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)