Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: PHOTO CONTEST - See your face in every software store in the world - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Weird how that almost turned into a flaming session there...not gonna start it again but I too was under the impression it was your intention to sell VDJ through Walmart (ASDA in UK where I am).

Mr. Sclavel,

I really don't want this to go off topic either so I'll keep this brief. I don't have your personal e-mail address, but I'm sure you know how to get in touch with me...if you wish.

Have you thought about having reps in different countries who could act on behalf of VDJ staff??
As a benefit you would have someone placed in each country who is able to understand clearly the needs of the local market, speaks the language fluently and can understand the dialect / humour / sarcasm people use.
It's one place to ship all the goods to and also from a returns pont of view so this could potentially decrease the over heads involved in making VDJ world famous.

I also appreciate that a lot of businesses (Retailers) like to have a local point of contact who already has a good standing with the compay they are dealing with.

I have a few other ideas if you're interested??
___

Also on the point of the competition...I'm not particularly bothered about winning a prize as such (while it would be nice) I think what I've got in VDJ is enough and to have a picture on the box would be amazing.

I think I might have an ideal picture opportunity coming up on the 7th of October, yes I know it's 2 weeks away...but all the best things come to those who wait...so true of VDJ.

Ross.

Posted Sun 25 Sep 05 @ 4:23 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
S Clavel, I'm interested too, I'm in Mexico. And also have plans to convert VDJ the number one Software here. I'm sure you could get people like us in all the countries. Sorry for go off topic.
(hope the moderators put this message in a higher level)

Posted Sun 25 Sep 05 @ 7:56 am
@ Ross M

I suggested a similar proposal about reps to Mr. Sclavel in the 5th post on page 1 of this thread. I’ve reproduced it below:

“Consequently, may I suggest that you look for VDJ users located in different parts of the world to help you market your product. There are many local DJ stores where I live that would probably carry your product if someone introduced it to them. By using your own users to help market your product, you could reach markets that you may otherwise overlook. Furthermore, you could use these same VDJ users (sales associates) to assist with manufacturing and distributing your software. You could save huge amounts of money in overhead cost and simplify the mass marketing of your product.”

Likewise, I also have additional ideas that would make manufacturing and distribution simpler and easier for Mr. Sclavel and company. However, I will reserve those ideas for the appropriate thread.

OO

Posted Sun 25 Sep 05 @ 11:15 am
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
i think that is a great idea aswell

Posted Sun 25 Sep 05 @ 12:22 pm
Clavel,

Sorry for the interruption but I couldn't let this go without saying a short suggestion:

Respects for coming up with a great product. Respect to all the great Virtual Dj's who are doing new and exciting things each day with the software.

Great topic and this opens what many of us have been saying in these forums.

If Virtual Dj is going to grow, become more professional, and better respected you need regional reps and a kick ass marketing team from the Virtual Dj family. In other words, you need people who know the product to help you sell it and market it to new audiences. This is why Ableton Live, Tracktor, MixVibes, PCDJ have been some-what successful in the states but even their approach is limiting. This approach of regional reps will be key before you eventually start a Western region section of your company.

While its great to ask for users to send you photos, I agree with my Virtual DJ family that it would be better to ask Virtual Dj users to create concept ideas for the cover. This not only saves you money on the creative end but it also gives you a better visual representation of your product from the actual users who use it. There are many graphic designers in these forums...

I also whole heartily agree with my comrades that selling your product in Walmart or a Target or even Radio Shack is a huge mistake. There is a growing movement in the states and abroad across against these giant retailers. Not that there is anything wrong with making money but what they do to local economies is an issue for many folks. Also, electronics sold in their stores is not respected, you are not going to find huge groups of potential VDJ's and techy customers buying their product at these stores. They are discounted retailers, not necessarily known for selling quality but more quantitiy.

So how do you exactly sell your product here in the states...

Well, folks are right, selling in the Dj stores like Guitar center or Pro Dj shops is the key to getting your product respected and pushed by others. Regional reps who are users is also key...

However, making a distribution deal with a Circuit City or Best Buy is better. This along with Marketing, Television, and Radio.

This means going into a deal that will not only help you by having them carry your product but working with them to make interactive Virtual Dj displays in these stores. Its crossmarketing, you want your product sold and they have hardware they need to sell. By working with these vendors, your product is sold in stores that are respected by the general buying public and computer music fanatics.

Why these retailers and not the Walmarts and Radioshacks of the world?

Well, these are Computer and Tech stores, yes, they are large chains but they are large chains who focus totally on consumer electronics. Its only a matter of time before one of the Dj giants inks a deal to do a major distribution deal with these big players, would be wise for Virtual Dj to be in there first and to do it better to pave the way.

Folks are already going there to buy electronics, would be good if they could also buy Virtual Dj pro and lower versions but wiser to have the equipment set up on display with some other hardware that is carried by the retailer. Kind of the retailer helping themselves and more important you, by displaying the product correctly instead of just throwing a box on a shelf and expecting people to buy it because of a decent cover.

The Guitar Center and these stores will come into play later when you organize Virtual Dj clubs. Basically, regional reps organize users in local markets for get together's and workshops. An expert comes into town in the local Circuit City or Guitar center to do a special workshop or have a gathering of the area's Virtual Users. This is similar to what people are already doing, such as Share in New York - http://share.dj/share/ and Laptop Battle organization, except on a weekly or montly basis. People want to know how to use the software professionally and nothing is better then a live person in front of them to teach them and helps you sell the product to newbies. You could even have a Virtual Dj world tour...but that would be the big leagues.

Could also develop into a large economic factor when Virtual Dj starts doing group VDJ packages for large club functions. VDJ's spin at concerts or Clubs promoted by Virtual Dj, etc... Similar to what Raves use to be at early in the beginning but organized by expert promoters who know the laws and the economics of those areas. Now your product would be seen by thousands of people and they too, are going to want to buy it because Dj Pepe or Dj Fuafua (Example) did an awesome set in their regional hot club...

Of course, none of this is possible without a complete repackaging of the software, its website, and promotional materials. The site has to be taken to the next level in terms of design and feel. Keep the forums as is, because they work, but redesign the site to look better then Native Instrument's and Propellerhead's sites. Many of your sales will not only come from your site but from having a great marketing campaign and packaging to follow.

Also, help to develop Virtual Dj radio so that people can hear what the software can do from anywhere in the world. More support for Virtual Dj radio is needed. Making deals to help them get carried by Sirius or XM radio with live Virtual Dj interviews, special shows and much more. Basically an underground radio station that is dedicated to Digital radio culture. Not commercial radio but a station that shows the product as its best and helps to create the new creme of World respected Virtual Dj's. Get articles in Wired, Computer Music, Stuff, PC World and other magazines will help too. People want to know the Virtual Dj story, how it got created, its users stories, what people are doing with the software. These stories need to be posted on the new site, sort of like testimonials...

Teaming up with other French companies that are also trying to go worldwide and break the U.S. market is key. Archos just signed a multimillion dollar deal with Echostar that you should read about. Maybe your company partnering together with them to do a TV commercial here in the states would help you do what the IPOD people did. Using media to sell their product...

Anyway, just the rantings of a faithful Virtual Dj user who really wants to see this product developed better. Yes, I too want to see where the audio quality will go with this product and what the future holds, but I also know that it will take a whole bunch of talented folks to make this happen. The growth of a company always comes with the personnel who have the talent. You would be surprised at what folks in these forums do for a living for their 9-to5 and the knowledge that they posses to help you in your future endevors.

But what do I know, I'm just one crazy person who loves to spin House and Latin Jazz MP3's! LOL.

Respect!
VDJ Batibiri
Cult Leader

- Now back to your topic...

Posted Sun 25 Sep 05 @ 10:13 pm
@ Mr. Clavel & Company

Since this thread has gotten totally of topic, I don’t see why we shouldn’t continue in this direction. It is obvious that some of us have concerns about the direction this company is headed in. This is because we care about this company and its product—VDJ. Although we may disagree on what stores to put VDJ in, we all agree that there is a better way. Consequently, I hope some of the suggestions are considered.

OO

Posted Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 1:10 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
I read this (2pages), topic the last days without posting, don't get me wrong but why users want to involve that much in the marketing and other Atomix decisions ?
I, and other users care too, but with a different way.

Posted Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 1:24 am
Not that we care more; however, our concern moved us to respond.

OO

Posted Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 1:30 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
We all want VDJ becames the #1 DJ software standar in the World.

Posted Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 7:38 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
O we have gone off topic haven't we...

Posted Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 8:34 pm
@ Mr. Clavel and Company

This would be an excellent opportunity to start the Gold Membership that was suggested here:

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/12792/General_Discussion/GOLD_BETA__MEMBERSHIP.html?

As suggested in this thread, we could invest in this company and have our opinions considered. We could also select sales reps from this exclusive Gold Membership to market the best software on the planet. In short, when can I buy my $tock$?

OO

btw I didn't mean to jack this thread, but....

Posted Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 8:38 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
any updates on what the new package will look like ?? or maybe soon we can see some of the photos users sent in.

Posted Wed 26 Oct 05 @ 6:15 pm
hello existe t-il une nouvelle version de djmixstation car j'ai un des dernier logiciel le III et depuis je trouve qu'il aurait du etre amélioré comme avoir des effets audio en plus du genre un echo comme la djm 500 de pioneer et une prise en main plus abordable avec beaucoup plus de bouton direct sur les platines.D'autre part le bpm a 34% max pourquoi ne pas mettre 50% comme le lecteur denon et voir meme 100% ça serai drole pour mixer de la techno...

Posted Thu 17 Nov 05 @ 6:13 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
wel lets have a look then lol!

Posted Sat 19 Nov 05 @ 8:11 am
Yan-XPRO InfinityHonorary memberMember since 2003
deejay58 > Please post in the french Forum

MERCI DE POSTER DANS LE FORUM FRANCAIS!

No DJMixStation3 updates are available for now. Virtual DJ HomeEdition 2006 has been released in France on November 18th

European union countries will have different release date for the software.

Posted Sat 19 Nov 05 @ 2:09 pm
My only concern is that VDJ is sold at stores that carry professional DJ equipment. I can’t imagine "the best software on the planet" being sold at discount chain stores. Furthermore, I can’t see myself telling other DJs that they can run down to their local Walmart or Kmart and pick up a copy of this software. After almost laughing themselves to death, they would probably have a different opinion of me as a DJ and of VDJ as a software—I don't think it would be "professional" DJ or software.

OO

btw: If you are new to this thread, then I suggest that you start reading from page one so you can understand my comments.

Posted Sat 19 Nov 05 @ 7:26 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
does it really matter where it's sold?? i know you go to pro shops for pro gear but VDJ is top notch either way, even if it's sold at a newspaper stand, don't be so worried, they know what they are doing.

Posted Sat 19 Nov 05 @ 7:33 pm
Yes it does matter where it is sold! Do you see Traktor, PCDJ, MixVibes, etc… being sold at Walmart? NO!! Why? A "professional" DJ is not going to Walmart to purchase "professional" DJ software. He is probably there shopping for underwear, tee shirts, socks etc.... In fact, DJ software isn't even on his mind. Furthermore, if a professional DJ does happen to stumble across while shopping there, he more than like wouldn't pay $$$ for VDJ because he doesn't associate the words "professional DJ software" with Walmart and similar stores.

Posted Sat 19 Nov 05 @ 7:36 pm
And that's exactly why VDJ wont be sold in Walmart, and nobody ever said it would be.

Posted Sat 19 Nov 05 @ 7:44 pm
Damn this topics been lost through and through.

Posted Sat 19 Nov 05 @ 7:45 pm
98%