Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: See this baby.. - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Midi is a standard and does not need any drivers.
Programming can be done by the device itself or by a "learn" function like vdj already has.

For usb drivers are needed (for the os to recognize it) and a little software utility for key mapping.

I'm sure hardware companies are aware of this, they just want to sell a cdj-1000-2...with midi, as a new model...

Posted Wed 24 Aug 05 @ 5:50 am
Not only do I think that pro CD decks will be used as midi controllers in the near future,... I KNOW it. You can bet on it. Who will do it first though? That will be interesting. You've all seen the Allen & Heath mixer with the midi control buttons builtin right?

Posted Wed 24 Aug 05 @ 5:22 pm
i think Numark or denon will be the first

Posted Wed 24 Aug 05 @ 6:49 pm
Numark is already leading the way with it's mixers that have dual USB in and dual USB outputs. Has anybody used these yet? I just ordered one yesterday and looking forward to play with it. I'll stick with my real mixer for gigs though.

Posted Wed 24 Aug 05 @ 7:15 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
At the moment we seem to be half way to the computer based - Digital DJ market, because most of the products are "make do until we really figure this out and find our market" based.

This is an extremely lucrative and rapid moving market, that's why I advise that people hold onto their hard earned cash until serious foundations are laid down, many products are incoming, but are any serious enough to hold their ground in this market for long?, and will any be installed in clubs and become more industry standard-ish?.

I personally think that us software plus hardware combination seekers have some waiting to do for 'real' solutions, yes their are some good controllers around, that do a good enough job, and the Time codes which is probably going to be a short era, although affective, it's not 100% software control.

I don't know about you guys, but I think it's clear to see that most of the money of recent years has been invested in the CD player market, and many of them are nothing short of amazing, they look hot and they feel hot, very much more impressive than most of the software controllers we see today..

So CD players are where it's going on, and software being a good competitor, but with fors and againsts for both solutions, and I think the permanent and best solution is to combine the two. a CD player that not only looks and feels great, plays CD's, but also can control the innovative/faster developing DJ software directly via a fast connection. Featuring all the standard controls plus some user assignable buttons (maybe), the inclusion of one high quality soundcard onboard each deck would also be a practical addition.

I think this is best for everyone, to create something more final and all-in one, and not further divide the DJ market, it would mean the mp3/laptop would become more like a "CD case", the DJ would arrive at the club/bar, put down his laptop (in an allocated space), only requireing the simplest connection, and that's it, ready to play, perhaps a 5 minute set-up time.

I can almost be sure that this is what's already beggining to happen, and with good reason.

Meanwhile, their are (probably) going to be alot of cheaply built controllers at modest prices designed to tempt you and further waste your money, until a few weeks or months later you see what you've really been waiting for and kick yourself in the foot, because that $200 would of been useful going towards a CDJ1500!!.

Posted Wed 24 Aug 05 @ 7:47 pm
Hey I'm all with your statement there but on the other side of that coin...just how long do you continue waiting for the ideal product.

We may all deside to wait a year and eventually see a CDJ-1500 which add's all of the features we have discussed up until now - "At last the controller we've dreamed of" we think to ourselves then Numark bring out something very simmilar and add a feature to it as do Pioneer and Technics.

I'm a big fan of waiting, I can be pretty patient whenI want to...the question is how long should we wait, then when it comes along should we wait some more.

It reminds me a lot of times when I was younger and my dad would go and buy a new television or (back in the day) VHS VCR after waiting so long for a particular advance in technology...you can bet your bottom dollar however long you wait, as soon as you make your purchase something better will come along.

---

On with the other side of the discussion I really like your idea of building the sound card into the CD Deck, cut's down the number of cables I suppose. It could then have 2 seperate digital outputs one for soundcard and one for deck (eliminating signal loss) additionally they could sell a 2/3 channel rack soundcard of same quality which could be used for your sample channels...really the possibilities are endless.

I suppose MIDI in a way is the best way to go from a control point of view (personally I haven't used it myself, but I'm pretty familliar with the spec and how it works). The fact that it's cross-platform compatible and can interface with so many other products really opens up the development potential, it's also very reliable/stable. On the other hand it would be very nice to know you only had to take one kind f cable to a gig, particularly from a back up point of view.

Ross.

Posted Thu 25 Aug 05 @ 4:42 am
Regarding that Numark USB mixer, I use it every week for 6-8 hours and it's rather good for the price ($200 or less), but I can't say USB in-out is that big of a deal really. Yes it is nice not to have an external soundcard like USB Maya, but then again you can't use TCVs because you have no analog inputs to the PC... So if you'd use a PCMCIA card such as an Audigy 2 ZS Notebook, you would basically end up with the same thing... Far from a revolution, more like a slight evolution...

On the subject of playing the waiting game, I believe a CD deck with MIDI and/or USB assignable controls is at least 18 months away. Hardware manufacturers are not in a hurry to evolve to that, they could have done it quite a while ago... They want to milk us as long as possible by releasing incremental "improvements" with each generation...

And then again, how long would it take to see the clubs/venues adopt that new hardware ? You can bet that too would take a loooong time...

Posted Thu 25 Aug 05 @ 6:59 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
My point exactly e-motion ;).

Posted Thu 25 Aug 05 @ 7:05 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)