Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: LOL! Do you guys really think you are real DJ's? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hah .. I laughed my ass off looking at the posts where you tell about your 'gigs' with this software. You really think you are real DJ's? No, a real DJ doesn't mix MP3's, he doesn't use computer software. He doesn't use BPM counters and auto-sync.. He uses real CD/vinyl players and a real mixer. If you want to be a REAL DJ, get some real DJ hardware and practice with them. After some time, you maybe can call yourself real DJ's.

I'm not saying this software sucks or anything, but it's not a real DJ tool, it's a toy for home use.

Posted Sat 17 Nov 01 @ 11:54 am
mamaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hmm, I always thought, music should be an art of tolerance and open minds... Seems like I have to correct my point of view.

Posted Sat 17 Nov 01 @ 12:12 pm
Wasn't it once said that people who mixed using CD's were not real DJ's? It took time, but that ignorance was finally dropped. It is just a matter of time until the bigots and small-minded people accept that it does not matter which medium you use to play the music, it's the person playing it.

All this program does it beat match for you. Beat matching is such a small part of mixing, it is relatively easy to do, most people can pick it up in no time, YET, not everybody is a professional DJ. Why? Simply put, it's because there is far more to mixing that placing a tune on a deck, hitting start and then getting beats in sync. Any 'real' DJ should know that.

If you can stand in front of a crowd of people and make them dance, make them feel the music, create feelings in their bodies that you both understand, it matters not whether the music comes from decks or from a computer.

Also, you can beat match manually if you want to, using Atomix. One last thing, a lot of the people using Atomix to mix CAN and DO use conventional decks and mixers. Some of the DJ's who used to do their gigs with 'normal' equipment got tired of lugging around all their tunes, and now use Atomix instead. If they wanted to, they could mix at their gigs the 'old' way, and I believe that some do when they feel like it.

Atomix isn't just about making mixing easier, it is also about taking advantage of mp3 music, whereby thousands of tunes can be contained within one computer. Some people actually prefer to just take a laptop to a club. Try it before you put it down and deem it a toy.

MiXmAsTeR

Posted Sat 17 Nov 01 @ 2:02 pm
why you think that in the big clubs djs are playing only with turntables and mixer?you are so young:)No sound effects no bpm counter no looping no pcs under the decks?no distortions on sound?no echos?no bass-killers?i agree that the feeling is different with turntables but the point is the output.Ok vinyl has better sound but you cannot notice such a big difference.Yes i agree RiGHT NOW atomixmp3 is for home use BUT it is the best "try" and it will be more and more better and even better than vinyl.If your problem is in the word dj(disk jockey) you can just change the term in Cj(computer jockey)i changed my nick in cj because there is future,cause the most important thing after all is to make a fantastic program.if you want we can x-change your mix with vinyls and my mix with atomixmp3 using the same songs.Also see my post in plug ins and try that one that i suggest you will see why it gives you the best result very cheep:).

dimitris_tsanak

Posted Sat 17 Nov 01 @ 2:41 pm
Yes, I'm a "real" DJ who started with VINYL, then went to CD's and now use a "computer" because it allows me to do things that DJ's who use VINYL or CD's can't. Like "read my crowd", search through over 10,000 songs in my database and make a crucial music programming decision and with only 15 seconds left in my current song, change my next song to something more pleasing to my crowd. This is one of my selling points to my customers and guess what. They pay me "real" money $600 - $1,500 and love the fact that I implement technology into my event. I really don't use ATOMIXMP3 to beat mix songs, for that I use my PIONEER CDJ-1000'S, but I could if I had to.

"The Real DJ" who gets "Real Good Money" for entertaining...

Posted Sat 17 Nov 01 @ 2:59 pm
OyyoDamsPRO InfinityHonorary memberMember since 2003
A bit of vocabulary:

DJ means 'Disc Jockey' because at the beggining there was only discs.
CD means 'Compact Disc' so with CD you're also a DJ :)

-----------------------------------------------------------

But the most important thing: I think a DJ is someone that plays music in front of people. So even with MP3 I really think you can be called a DJ.

For my own I can think I'm a DJ because I mix music with both vinyls and Atomixmp3, at parties or gigs, in front a lot of people.

A good DJ is not a only good technician. It's not because the mix is harder with vinyles that you're a good DJ with it.
A good DJ is someone that feels the public, that feels the music. I know a lot of DJs, each DJ has a different material, but that's not important. The important thing is the result !

Sorry for the original poster of this topic, but I totally disagree with you.

Posted Sat 17 Nov 01 @ 3:11 pm
hmmm, hard drive is a compeliation of hard discs, so then you should be called a DJ again lol

Posted Sat 17 Nov 01 @ 6:18 pm
Hehe, I've been mixing for 14 years. I used to carry crates of 12", and those damn heavy 1200's. Carried that stuff for 4-5 years. I said CD's would never catch on for DJ's. A couple years later, my Vinyl was stacked under the basement steps. When I went over to CD's, I thought that within my expected career I'd never have to change formats again. Here I am just a few short years later. I spent most of the spring, and all summer encoding 14 years worth of archives. As for DJ's playing MP3's. You can express your opinion to the 200 people who sweated and danced all night last night, they had a genuine good time, not one of the complained about me not having any vinyl. You can take your holier than thou attitude, and continue to live in the stone ages. On average I play out 5 nights a week. Every club has a different format, I'm carrying 16,000 songs. Count your vinyl, what are you taking with you, maybe 500-600. The good thing about guys like you is that when I sold my 1200's I got top dollar for them. I used that to buy a Denon CD player. I have 4 of those now. I'm going to be counting on people just slightly more enlightened than you when I sell them.

Posted Sat 17 Nov 01 @ 9:25 pm
LOL!!! that freshly pooped guy thinks he's cool cause he has enough money to by mixers... BIG DEAL!!!! what a moron... (Woohoo! I have vynils... woohoo, I make decent mixes.... it makes me better than DJs who use software and that makes better mixes than me... but I was rich enough to buy "real DJ hardware") BTW, where I live, most nightclub DJs use software...

Posted Sun 18 Nov 01 @ 12:04 am
a little point to remember in this discussion: all these mp3 dj's probably own turntable still cause most of (electronic) music still comes _only_ in the vinyl format. And i doubt anyone has collection of thousands of cd singles without having a cd-decks already? .. And then there's the pirates who spend all their money to blank cdr's and download songs straight from internet..

Posted Sun 18 Nov 01 @ 11:07 am
duh! LOL!!! I think that guy just posted that topic to see people's reaction on boredom purposes...

Posted Sun 18 Nov 01 @ 12:27 pm
bah. what a load of poo.

Yes, atomixmp3 makes mixing easier in some ways. It's a great learning tool. I learned with atomix, but I also use vynil. Even owning vynil and nice tables, I still have atomix on the line input of my mixer. It makes it real easy to drop new tracks that you cant find on vinyl, as well as loads of online-only tracks that nobody will probably ever hear, many of them being very phat!

must be a damn good toy then LOL... I've made a few mixes that have definitly impressed some folk who aren't very green to mixing. hehe.

have fun...

Posted Sun 18 Nov 01 @ 10:55 pm
Yup... I used to buy vinyls, but I don't need them anymore... My computer is plugged to my mixer and I have every songs in MP3 format I used to mix with turtables...

Posted Mon 19 Nov 01 @ 3:56 am
And how bout Richie Hawtin and John Aquaviva, certainly both "real dj's". I saw richie on the decks fx and 909 tour and he was mixing on 3 turntables, a drum machine, sh101 synth, effects unit and a vestax frequency kill unit. Obviously he "can dj using vinyl and 1200's but now he uses Final Scratch for all his gigs cuz he feels being able to use MP3's as a medium is better due to not having to carry vinyl and more importantly being able to edit the MP3's

unless your in the superstar dj league, theres no way for a dj who spins vinyl to be able to afford to get custom stuff pressed. Vestax makes a vinyl cutter machine thats like $7000. If i dj uses mp3's though, they can easily edit the tracks on the pc, cutting out slow parts of a song, rearrange it, easily try out tracks they have produced for a live crowd.

so theres the reason to use mp3's and still be a real dj.

Oh and sure there are alot of "kids" and "bedroom dj's" using this software but man.... I was at Guitar Center the other day and in their dj area there was so many 14 year old kids with their parents begging them to get them a "dj starter pack" with belt drive tables etc so no one can say that having hardware means your a "real dj"

Posted Mon 19 Nov 01 @ 8:05 pm
Dude before you complain about being a "real dj" do you realize how on most music newsgroups that dj's are though of as a bunch of wankers that just play other peoples music. Most musicians dont respect dj'ing at all and just call it legal plagarisim.

now most all of use know that isnt true but before you get all high and mightly cuz you mix using vinyl or cd's why not try to see the bigger picture and realize that no matter what form someone uses to combine various tracks into something better than they are on their own, that we are all doing the same thing, just differetn means and instead of wasting your time trying to seperate, why not spend that time trying to open peoples minds to dj'ing and show thats its not just playing other peoples music to get girls

Posted Tue 20 Nov 01 @ 7:36 am
I actually do only mix to get girls... :o/

Posted Tue 20 Nov 01 @ 1:45 pm
pathetic...

Posted Wed 21 Nov 01 @ 12:23 am
I wont hurt my back when im cary my music,by beeing a "RoadDJ" (Old Vinyl and CD DJ).

Posted Fri 23 Nov 01 @ 3:41 pm
loujrHome userMember since 2002
shut the hell up because i garentie i mix better than you and so do others on this site WITHOUT VYNILE

Posted Mon 03 Nov 03 @ 3:47 am
loujrHome userMember since 2002
and i know people with tables that saw atomix and got it

Posted Mon 03 Nov 03 @ 3:49 am
25%