Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: More than 8 samples breaks controller pad use?
Hi all,

I'm using the Numark NS6 II. It has 8 pad buttons.

On the Sampler, up until now I've had 8 samples assigned, one for each button, and everything worked great. I'd switch the pads to sampler mode and press the pad corresponding to the button, all was well.

But now I want more samples. Once I add a 9th sample to a page, the controller pads no longer work. Controller pad #1 now plays sample #9 and no other pad buttons do anything.

Is there any way to preserve the pads for samples 1-8? Anything after 8 I can trigger with the mouse or with stream deck scripts.

Posted Sun 31 Jul 22 @ 11:31 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
If you have more than 8 samples in a bank, the left side of the controller will trigger pads 1-8 and the right side will trigger pads 9-16

Since there's only 8 pads on your controller, the only alternative is to split the samples into 2 banks.

Posted Sun 31 Jul 22 @ 11:55 am
Let me make the case for (shamelessly make a case for a current wish for), 2 sampler banks.

In the current situation, if one creates a second bank, with the 9th sampler on it, there is not an easy way to have the first 8 samples on the controller pads and the 9th sample available to be clicked with the mouse in the software. Since currently only one sampler bank can be displayed at a time, that selected by script sampler_bank.

If one could access the second sample bank (say, sampler_bank2), from the software interface (for touch screens, or mouse), from a new TABBED window in the browser section, both sampler banks could be accessed simultaneously, increasing easily available samples at one time.

In this case, samplers 1-8 could be accessed on the controller, and the 9th on the software, with a mouse or touchscreen. Currently this is NOT possible without a 2nd sampler bank.

And having a 2nd Sampler Bank in VDJ would add a lot of increased ease of use and accessibility.

------------

The wish for 2nd Sample Bank here:

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/247590/Wishes_and_new_features/Wish_for_2nd_Sample_Bank___(to_be_displayed_simultaneously).html

Posted Sun 31 Jul 22 @ 2:40 pm
For the case of using extra samples on-screen, you could just open a different sample bank than the one selected in the sampler from the browser section. Play buttons still work from there :)

Posted Sun 31 Jul 22 @ 2:46 pm
I seem to only have one sampler bank available, it is always the same sampler bank on say the controller pads and the software's sideview sampler panel. The sampler that is set as "active", appears at all sampler locations for me.

Adion wrote :
you could just open a different sample bank than the one selected in the sampler from the browser section.

Do not know how to do that. Is there a trick to have a second sampler bank available/open at the same time? That would be cool.

Posted Sun 31 Jul 22 @ 2:57 pm
It's under Lists&Advice->Sampler. It should list all available sample banks

Posted Sun 31 Jul 22 @ 3:47 pm
I hope the post starter understood the first answer, so that he's problem is solved
just to sum up:
- your decks have no samples. Samples are global.
- So if you have 8 or less samples in your selected sample pack both decks will trigger the same 8 samples
- once you get to 9 samples in your selected sample pack, the left deck will trigger the first 8 samples, and the right deck will trigger sample 9-16
- again, the important thing to remember is that samples are global and not deck dependent

Posted Sun 31 Jul 22 @ 4:09 pm
OP here. Thanks for the responses. Makes sense. So then here's my next question.

I am connecting a StreamDeck XL to my laptop and want to use the buttons on it to map additional samples. It has 32 buttons.

I'd like each of these 32 buttons to activate a different sample without affecting the page I'm on when playing samples via the pads on my controller.

To accomplish this currently, in the script for my StreamDeck button, I save the current sampler bank using get_sampler_bank_id, then switch to a special StreamDeck bank, play the appropriate sample, then switch back to the saved bank.

The problem is, since it's switching banks, this "breaks" samples I'm currently holding on the controller (using the "hold" trigger mode). Is there a better or more efficient way to do this?

Posted Sun 31 Jul 22 @ 11:03 pm
The sampler actions allow you to specify the sample file too, so you could use
sampler_pad "c:\path\mysample.mp3"

Directly in the script. That way you don't need to switch banks

Posted Mon 01 Aug 22 @ 3:39 am
Adion wrote :
The sampler actions allow you to specify the sample file too, so you could use
sampler_pad "c:\path\mysample.mp3"

Directly in the script. That way you don't need to switch banks

Thank you Adion! I didn't realize you could pass a filename as a parameter to sampler_pad.
Is there another parameter to make it sync start to the bpm of the currently playing song?

Appreciate all the help here everyone.

Posted Mon 01 Aug 22 @ 5:51 am
Open the sample in the sample editor and select the sync settings.
When saving it probably gets saved as a .vdjsample, so make sure to refer to that file in your scripts

Posted Mon 01 Aug 22 @ 5:57 am
That did it! Thanks so much Adion!

For anyone else who stumbles across this question, the .vdjsample files were saved in Documents/VirtualDJ/Sampler so that's where you should look for them.

Cheers!

Posted Mon 01 Aug 22 @ 10:28 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005

Posted Mon 01 Aug 22 @ 1:12 pm