Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: MacBook M1 chips
Any heavy video users have the new MacBook with the M1 chips? Curious how VDJ performs and how video output is now that it is no longer a dedicated video card.

Also, are the any performance issues (vdj itself or video output) since the application also needs to computing stems on the fly?

Is the M1 pro chip sufficient, or is the M1 max recommended? Thanks

Posted Tue 30 Nov 21 @ 4:12 pm
Bump

Posted Fri 03 Dec 21 @ 7:35 pm
proartPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I think a MACBook Air M1 macOS Monterey (8GB RAM, 500GB SSD) is also sufficent to do a great job with STEMS, Video and Karaoke.

I'm running burn in tests with my MB Air, external 4k Monitor 60hz in 4k mode and Zoom U-24 USB Audio-Interface (Master output, Headset and Mic). Also running with Soundswitch DMX, 1 Universe with 12 Fixtures on the same MB Air.

Skin is 60fps, Video is 30fps. Songs (MP3 320kb and Videos (mostly FullHD MP4 H264 128 AAC) on external Sandisk SSD connected direct to MB. All other Devices (Display, Audio, Soundswitch DMX Interface through USB 3 Multi-Hub.

CPU Load is below 20% mostly under 15%. Audio is below 5%. CPU Temp is between 40-45°C. Video transistion heats the CPU for 5-10s to 55°C. Used RAM is always below 7GB. No RAM swapping.

The last test is still running since 8 ours in Automix mode - while im writing this reply on the same MB Air - with no issues.

Posted Sat 04 Dec 21 @ 8:13 pm
I use a 16 inch m1 pro 8 gigs of ram. VDJ runs amazingly well, however my controllers driver aren't updated to Monterrey yet. so double check if your company is 100% up to date.

I run 4 screens along with the software.

I don't think an upgrade or trade in is needed.

Hope that helps

Posted Tue 07 Dec 21 @ 6:08 am
Thanks all!

Posted Mon 20 Dec 21 @ 1:03 pm
m1 chip max with monterey new computer will it work Apple M1 Max chip with 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, and 16-core Neural Engine
64GB unified memory
8TB SSD storage
16-inch Liquid Retina XDR display
Three Thunderbolt 4 ports, HDMI port, SDXC card slot, MagSafe 3 port

Posted Tue 11 Jan 22 @ 8:18 pm
Thanks all! To the OP and replies, especially the 8hour burn-in test results by PROART. Can now confidently deploy the M1 MacBook.

Also thanks BRIANDOUGLAS1....just realized pioneer updated the sz2 drivers for Monterey on 9th December 2021, wouldn't have noticed.

Thanks!

Posted Sat 15 Jan 22 @ 1:20 am