Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: EQ knobs do not display & Function correctly in 5 Stem Mode w VDJ BUILD 6091

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi all

Can some one verify that with VDJ BUILD 6091 and eqMode = Stems

1) software does not display INSTRU for the top knob and BASS for the bottom knob
as shown in video taken with controller NOT connected (drag vid position with mouse to see how each knob appears with each of the EQ Modes each mode is about two sec and can be held in each mode by dragging slider at bottom of video)
https://gyazo.com/6896bc40506856a26c3bb625561c1e77

( the setting window was intentionally placed there so you could see the configuration of eqMode at each point in the Video)

Summary: When eqMode is set to either EZRemix or ModernEQ, the software functions as it should, and displays the knobs correctly
AND when eqMode = Stems that software does not display INSTRU for the top knob and BASS for the bottom knob and does NOT always control the Stems correctly (believe upper knob works, and lower does not)

Again this is with VDJ BUILD 6091 and NO controller.

------------------------------------------------
PS
My Roland DJ-505 controller will not connect to the upper and lower knobs when eqMode = Stems.

Posted Fri 04 Sep 20 @ 8:35 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
The labels of the gain and filter knob never changed, but it should still work fine when used from your controller to change bass and instruments.

Posted Fri 04 Sep 20 @ 8:56 am
Adion wrote :
The labels of the gain and filter knob never changed

Why not?

The labels are shown when selecting the EQ mode:

People naturally expect the skin to show the same thing.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, it's necessary to show the correct labels on the skin because
A) The function has changed and
B) Connected controllers have fixed labels - so the change in function has to be visible somewhere, so the user knows what to expect when using the control.

Posted Fri 04 Sep 20 @ 9:13 am
Adion wrote :
The labels of the gain and filter knob never changed, but it should still work fine when used from your controller to change bass and instruments.

With VDJ BUILD 6091 and No Controller connect and eqMode = Stems the upper most Knob is labeled GAIN and it controls the Gain... ie NOT INSTRU of Stems mode,

AND the lower Knob which I have configured for LOOP ROLL controls the Loop Roll effect NOT the Stems BASS.

So they do NOT control the Stems as they should for me.

Can someone verify this, using the software only.

-----------------------------------------------------------
NOW MORE ABOUT THE CONTROLLER

And as I mentioned My Roland DJ-505 controller will not connect to the upper and lower knobs when eqMode = Stems.

here is my attempt so show something NOT happening.

With eqMode = Stems and Controller connected. here are the videos of me turning each of the Eq knobs.

a) turning the HIHAT knob on controller https://gyazo.com/e34c10e2b05388630eb4d49b12b4626a yay works

b) turning the VOCAL knob on the controller https://gyazo.com/fc59481b15a2536458ba4bbc7b5281e9 yay works

c) turning the KICK knob on the controller https://gyazo.com/ca45b71f5f849841335d31a10f3e85bd yay works

d) turning the INSTRU (or top) knob on the controller https://gyazo.com/0068da71d82286bf6ddbf9e7d754279b nothing

e) turning the BASS (or the bottom) knob on the controller https://gyazo.com/fd8ba315bb2223d471cc213f028a136c again nothing

Posted Fri 04 Sep 20 @ 9:26 am
groovindj wrote :
Adion wrote :
The labels of the gain and filter knob never changed

Why not?

So that you can still access gain and filter using mouse on screen, since they are no longer available on your controller.

Posted Fri 04 Sep 20 @ 9:29 am
Sorry but that makes even less sense, IMO.

If a user has intentionally switched their system to five band stem EQ mode, they surely expect all the controls to be in five band stem EQ mode - not for the physical knobs to be doing one thing, and the on-screen knobs to be doing another.

Posted Fri 04 Sep 20 @ 9:34 am
IIDEEJAYII wrote :
And as I mentioned My Roland DJ-505 controller will not connect to the upper and lower knobs when eqMode = Stems.

Your videos don't have audio, but the knobs should work in controlling instruments and bass, even though this is not shown on screen.
Is this not the case for you?

Posted Fri 04 Sep 20 @ 9:40 am
Thank You Adion

after checking. The controller does change the audio by changing the Stems .. of the playing track.

Its just that the software does not show the movement of the upper most knob in the software, and I imagine that this is as expected, since the upper most knob is not INSTRU , but GAIN on the software and the controllers upper most knob is controlling INSTRU. So all controllers would/should function in this same manner.

and again thank you for the speedy and amazing responses, it has helped me understand what is happening, smiles

Posted Fri 04 Sep 20 @ 9:42 am
Looking at the mapper it should indeed work from the 505.

Posted Fri 04 Sep 20 @ 9:52 am
Adion wrote :
Looking at the mapper it should indeed work from the 505.

You are completely correct.

Thank you I corrected my posting above so as not to confuse the thread since, it was not accurate.

Again thanks

--------------------------------
and to address Groovindj's comments.. It seems there are Pros, as he has listed above .. and Cons.. since one would then loose all control of gain for the deck, if say the upper most software knob became INSTRU.

This way one still has a way to control gain and also able to use the controller for Stems...

I am just greatful to understand all the features.

Posted Fri 04 Sep 20 @ 9:56 am
It will be updated a little bit in the next update so that the label will change when moving the knob on the controller to better understand what's going on.
In the case of using stems on the outer channels, it will also be possible to actually control stems from there using a 4-deck skin, since in that case these knobs were not in use by a deck anyway.

Posted Fri 04 Sep 20 @ 10:32 am
Thanks for the prompt response.

Posted Fri 04 Sep 20 @ 10:58 am
And its been updated in the early release:

Quote :
BUILD 6100 (2020-09-10)

-gain and filter label temporarily switch to stems when controller stem knob is moved and eqMode set to Stems

Posted Fri 11 Sep 20 @ 8:33 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)