Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: After 41 years DJing....... - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Tonight is the first time ever I’ve had to get cover for my weekend wedding gigs at short notice. I’m absolutely worn out, been in bed since Tuesday evening. Been reallly, really ill, not over it yet. Docs on Tuesday.

Must be some sort of record.

Posted Sat 11 Aug 18 @ 12:24 am
Get well soon, Les.

Posted Sat 11 Aug 18 @ 6:42 am
True professional !

I have been gigging 32, years, on and off, and like yourself can't remember i gig i have had booked and not completed!,

I did have a resident job were i was an hour late, due to be getting stuck on a broken down underground in London, missed my train back to chesterfield and had to get the next train, went straight from the train station to the gig, i had phoned ahead and my backup music was already playing (a cd ) and arrived with two tracks left to play.

I always worried over wedding gigs, when a lot are booked so far in advance, health, vehicles, etc

But 41'years must be some kind of record, and i take my hat off to you sir, and hope your well soon, i am sure there are not many professions that work like ours...

Posted Sat 11 Aug 18 @ 6:53 am
Thanks guys, looks like I may miss some more gigs. Only time will tell. Seeing the Doctor on Tuesday. Will hopefully get some answers then.

Crazy to think I ran a marathon last October and up to May last year I was running over 100 miles per month for several years. Weird how things can turn around.

Posted Sat 11 Aug 18 @ 8:01 am
Hope you are feeling better soon Les.

Posted Sat 11 Aug 18 @ 8:15 am
Hey Les, get better! need you around for another 41 years! cheers! ant.

Posted Mon 13 Aug 18 @ 10:44 am
Thanks guys.

Been to the doctors today and it turns out to be a really nasty water infection. Had to do a sample and it almost lit up like disco lights lol. Very, very toxic.

On antibiotics for a week and hopefully should be getting back to normality (whatever that is). Although, I'm still worn out. This Saturday's gig is covered. I shall just rest up while I've got the chance.

Posted Tue 14 Aug 18 @ 2:30 pm
Any idea where you might have picked that up? Glad to hear you're (hopefully) sorted.

Posted Tue 14 Aug 18 @ 5:25 pm
I have absolutely no idea, just came at me out of the blue.

The Doctor is new to my surgery, hence, getting an appointment fairly quickly. She was very thorough looking at various issues, etc. A Polish friend of mine has always said when she has medical problems she travels back to Poland because their Health Service is years ahead of the rubbish British NHS. Normally appointments are around 10 minutes, my appointment with her was over 50 minutes and addressed many issues. She is now top of my list for any future appointments lol.

Posted Tue 14 Aug 18 @ 9:28 pm
And there's more...............

At Hospital last Friday I went under the knife for an hour to have a large mole removed. I now have 9 stitches in my back and not allowed any heavy lifting, stretching or bending. On top of which the doctor has had to put me on a second course of antibiotics for the water infection.

Just shoot me now!

That's the DJing on hold yet again!

Posted Wed 29 Aug 18 @ 8:29 pm
could be worse.
a month out after the diabetes diagnoses
two weeks from first surgery
two weeks from 2nd surgery
and now a torn bicep tendon in the shoulder joint, to go along with some nerve damage and other fun things. 3 years recovery/healing time and not supposed to lift over 25lbs (11.3 kilos) until orthopedic surgeon says otherwise.

we fight the good fight to keep doing what we do...but it does take a toll doesn't it?

Posted Wed 29 Aug 18 @ 9:12 pm
Yeah, but we're doing better than Michael, Elvis and Prince.

Posted Wed 29 Aug 18 @ 11:45 pm
i dunno...they're still making more money every day than we make in a year...

Posted Thu 30 Aug 18 @ 1:18 am
With a bit of luck I'm hoping to get back to work next week (Sept 7th). It's a band night with a Ragtime, Swing Band. I just have to fill in the gaps, so, a good one to start with. I get my stitches out 3 hours before the gig, hopefully, shouldn't be a problem. If I manage OK I've got a wedding the next night.

Posted Thu 30 Aug 18 @ 3:17 am
Back on the gig treadmill last Friday & Saturday. Had to get one of the Hotel staff to give me a hand carrying my equipment as I'm not supposed to carry heavy weights. It was good to be back. 7 gigs lost in August, but, hey ho, health is more important.

I even managed to do a 5 mile slow jog last night. Been itching to get out for a run (jog). Taking it slowly and feeling loads better.

Posted Mon 10 Sep 18 @ 8:55 am
Five miles? Blimey, I couldn't even do one mile!

I cycled today for the first time in ages, and it was exhausting!

Posted Mon 10 Sep 18 @ 9:08 pm
One of the clubs I work in has just had £800k spent on it. I used to do just Wednesday nights there but they want me to do Thursday as well. Add to that my Friday and Saturday residencies and that's three 2am finishes and one 3am in a row.

Just turned 52 this week so will see how I cope with that.

The new dance floor is well cool though!

Posted Mon 10 Sep 18 @ 9:18 pm
mirrorball halfdomes? kinda neat.

but call security. that chav has a drink on the floor!

Posted Tue 11 Sep 18 @ 4:01 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Aren't you allowed to bring drinks on the dancefloor in the US?
Here in Europe or at least Germany nobody cares...

Posted Tue 11 Sep 18 @ 8:10 am
The floor is sealed so no issue with drinks at all.

Posted Tue 11 Sep 18 @ 8:39 am
83%