Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Pioneer SX3 is coming - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
A time line was given just 2 posts before

Posted Mon 09 Jul 18 @ 2:00 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005

Selected as best answer Posted Wed 18 Jul 18 @ 5:53 am
Hi! I see in the manual that the DDJ-SX3 requires an "External Mixer" audio setup. It means that we can use the hardware mixer of sx3 instead software mixer (like we can with xdj-rx2 or ddj-sz)? Thanks.

l.e.: it's a little bit confusing because in audio setup picture from manual, the external mixer button is not blue and there is an headphone output.... I think in an "external mixer" audio setup configuration the headphone output is the hardware output of the mixer and pre-listening is done by pressing PFL (CUE) button on the desired channel.

Posted Wed 18 Jul 18 @ 7:32 am
It's an External "type" audio configuration, but still uses VDJ mixer and you still get whatever latency the MIDI has.

The mixer works per channel, so you can still set any of them as analog source (even all 4) and use the unit as stand-alone mixer. However, when you set a Channel to USB, the Mixer Channel Elements become MIDI

Posted Wed 18 Jul 18 @ 8:54 am
Thank djdad, one more question please...when sx3 is used in external mode how the gain knob works? Is it a hardware or software gain? I am asking this because sx2 has software gain and I found it hard to use. Thanks.

Posted Wed 18 Jul 18 @ 10:53 am
As said above, when a channel is set to USB (to control a VDJ deck), everything on that Mixer channel becomes MIDI, including Gain, so its software.
Why is it hard to use with the SX2 ?

Posted Wed 18 Jul 18 @ 11:18 am
dj_shamHome userMember since 2014
So how long again would it have to take for the sx3 to be working properly

Posted Wed 18 Jul 18 @ 11:50 am
I installed the vdj and the sx3 still doesn't show in the controller settings

Posted Wed 18 Jul 18 @ 12:03 pm
You need to update to latest Early Access build.
1) Open settings
2) Search for "earlyAccessUpdates"
3) Set it to 'yes'
4) Restart VirtualDJ
5) Wait a few moments
6) A pop-up should appear asking you to confirm update
7) Confirm update. VirtualDJ will restart

Done!

Posted Wed 18 Jul 18 @ 12:06 pm
djdad wrote :

Why is it hard to use with the SX2 ?

I'm used to external mixer audio config mode in virtualdj so the gain on my mixer is hardware. Not only on sx2 but on the xdj-rx2 also I can't trim the gain based on the led meter. I have tried various settings on "autoGain" option (auto, no) and "controllerTakeoverMode (instant/pickup) but it seems to not reflect the real behavior of how hardware gain works. I just can't use the gain in midi mixer mode. That's why I'm looking for a controller that supports "external mixer" mode in audio config (like ddj-sz or xdj-rx2). I have opened a topic regarding this type of controllers long time ago... I currently have xdj-rx2 but I keep getting freezes when I use it with virtualdj or rekordbox (in performance mode) so I was hoping the sx3 can be used in external mixer config. Off topic: do you know if ddj-sz2 can be used in external mixer config? Thanks.

Posted Wed 18 Jul 18 @ 12:14 pm
No, SZ2 uses exactly the same method as SX3 (actually SX3 copied the ways SZ2 works as historically SZ2 was the first Pioneer unit with that kind of audio setup)

Currently the only Pioneer units that can be used with pure external hardware mixer audio setup are DDJ-SZ, DDJ-RZ, DDJ-RZX and XDJ-RX2.

Posted Wed 18 Jul 18 @ 12:37 pm
Thanks PhantomDeejay and djDad for your answers. Very useful as always.

Posted Wed 18 Jul 18 @ 12:53 pm
Phantom I did wat u said about the early access I restarted the program I've been waiting for about 5mins now and no update as yet

Posted Wed 18 Jul 18 @ 2:19 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
You are online with you machine at the time?

Posted Wed 18 Jul 18 @ 2:36 pm
Yes

Posted Wed 18 Jul 18 @ 7:41 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013

Posted Wed 18 Jul 18 @ 8:41 pm
Ok will try tomorrow

Posted Thu 19 Jul 18 @ 2:24 am
The site for the PC seems to hav a virus an error is coming up

Posted Thu 19 Jul 18 @ 10:53 am
Just a false positive as usual. Just ignore it.

Posted Thu 19 Jul 18 @ 11:16 am
who's gonna make the 1st YouTube video for (virtual DJ with pioneer sx3)

Posted Thu 19 Jul 18 @ 10:43 pm
49%