Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Fade out after X number of seconds to silence.
Greetings,

VDJ Pro 8 on OSX.

I am running the music for a dance competition using virtual dj. Each heat for the competition is about 90 seconds or so and has to be from a certain genre of music (salsa, merengue, etc). Heats often get out of order, so I can't run with a set playlist. What I'd like to do is load a track and have it set to fade out at, say, 80 seconds to pure silence at the 90 second point to effective time the heat. Then the announcer will come on, say some stuff, lather rinse repeat with another heat that I've already loaded in deck two with the same deal (fade out at 80 seconds). As another twist, these competitions often start to run behind schedule, so I'd need to be able to manually adjust the fader's start and stop times (preferably per deck). I know this could be accomplished manually with a keen eye on the clock, but I don't have the precision or mental patience to do that for eight hours (loading a track every 90 seconds from the proper genre, however, is not a big deal).

Thing is, I've seen this done in Virtual DJ before. I watched somebody run a competition exactly like this, although I'm not sure what version/os he was using. Unfortunately he's no longer with us, so I can't ask how he did it. Any tips for how to accomplish this?

Posted Wed 29 Nov 17 @ 7:13 pm
use POI then go to 80sec mark and create a NEW ACTION

repeat_start_instant 'levelSweep' 10ms 101 & level & param_smaller 1% ? stop & repeat_stop 'levelSweep' & stop & repeat_start "WaitTimer" 100ms 1 & level 100% : level -1%

You can also assign this script to a BUTTON or a KEY and manually activate it when you arrive at you 80sec fade mark.

Posted Wed 29 Nov 17 @ 7:23 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
This Addon may help http://www.virtualdj.com/plugins/index.html?addonid=80577 to avoid adding POIs to all of your tracks.
You can set the duration that each track will last if Automix is enabled. If you silence after the set time and/or u want to do it manually, then i suppose you need just one track in Automix each time, so that there is no "next". Havent tested that way though, but worth trying.

Posted Wed 29 Nov 17 @ 7:33 pm
@TheMagic.DJ

Is there a way I can tie that script to the play button so it happens automatically for each track once it starts playing? I'll be playing several hundreds of tracks over two days and going into POI for each one is time-prohibitive (either on the fly or beforehand).

Posted Wed 29 Nov 17 @ 8:03 pm
@djdad

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately I am OSX only and this plugin seems to be exclusively for Windows. If I can't figure it out, I'll download a Virtual Machine and give it the old college try.

Posted Wed 29 Nov 17 @ 8:04 pm
user16835557 wrote :
@TheMagic.DJ

Is there a way I can tie that script to the play button so it happens automatically for each track once it starts playing? I'll be playing several hundreds of tracks over two days and going into POI for each one is time-prohibitive (either on the fly or beforehand).

use this script on a CUSTON BUTTON or KEY and use this BUTTON/KEY instead of the PLAY button.

You can Name it "PLAY 80sec + Fade" or whatever you want.

play & repeat_start "WaitTimer" 80000ms 1 & repeat_start_instant 'levelSweep' 10ms 101 & level & param_smaller 1% ? stop & repeat_stop 'levelSweep' & stop & repeat_start "WaitTimer" 100ms 1 & level 100% : level -1%

Posted Wed 29 Nov 17 @ 9:39 pm
Thanks for posting this! I was working this out for myself and got hung up on wait time, so you saved me a bunch of time, I'm sure. @all the devs on this program, can I just say the Scripting functionality is SUPER-cool, great job there expanding the flexibility of VDJ. Also, it's nice to have such a quick response for my first time on the forums. Thanks very much all!

Posted Wed 29 Nov 17 @ 9:53 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
@MagicDj, nice one I'm please to see my previous script help helping others.

Posted Wed 29 Nov 17 @ 11:04 pm
Event was this past weekend and this worked like a charm. I know ballroom dance competition dj is a very niche kind of thing, but I'm sure there are plenty of folks who could find a use for this kind of thing in other situations. Just wanted to say thanks again to all you fine folks for the help, and for getting me excited about scripting!

Posted Sun 03 Dec 17 @ 7:31 pm
I tried using the code above
play & repeat_start "WaitTimer" 80000ms 1 & repeat_start_instant 'levelSweep' 10ms 101 & level & param_smaller 1% ? stop & repeat_stop 'levelSweep' & stop & repeat_start "WaitTimer" 100ms 1 & level 100% : level -1%
But it didn't work and it said it had a syntax error. I pasted it exactly as shown.
I'm running 7 but I could upgrade to 8 if that's the issue. Trying to figure out how to make it fade out after 2 min 30 seconds, also for a dance thing.
Please help, doing this tonight so if I don't get a good answer I'll have to figure something else out. To be clear, I want the song to END after 2 min 30 sec, NOT automix into another one.

Posted Thu 08 Feb 18 @ 6:27 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
The script above indeed requires version 8.

Posted Thu 08 Feb 18 @ 8:43 pm
The Magic.DJ wrote :
user16835557 wrote :
@TheMagic.DJ

use this script on a CUSTON BUTTON or KEY and use this BUTTON/KEY instead of the PLAY button.

You can Name it "PLAY 80sec + Fade" or whatever you want.

Is there a way to have a song fade out after 80 seconds and then auto start playing the next song in the automix browser?

Posted Wed 31 Mar 21 @ 9:29 pm
RazzMATTazz wrote :

Is there a way to have a song fade out after 80 seconds and then auto start playing the next song in the automix browser?

AutomixMaxLength in setting options..
And set automix type to fade

Posted Wed 31 Mar 21 @ 10:05 pm
Hi guys, I am relatively new regarding the use of VDJ and I would like to pick up the thread again on this topic here:
The script is already great! However, I need an addition, and that is to play the next song of the AutoMix list after the fade out.

To the background: I would like to equip for a party the songs, which I would like to play in any case, as far as possible with start and end points, but in some cases also fade out. This way I can focus on setting a good order based on the mood, and prepare and integrate songs requested by the guests.

Thanks in advance!

tbone_cologne

Posted Fri 16 Jun 23 @ 6:10 pm
I think I finally managed it :) I replaced the stop by mix_and_load_next, works as expected

Posted Sat 17 Jun 23 @ 10:26 pm