Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: vdj 20 decks - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

all feed back welcome. positive, negative, neutral.

==Concept==
vdj default 4 deck skin with some cosmetic changes taken from vdj default 6 deck skin.

==Theory==
samplers are awesome but limited to power. decks are powerful but limited to quantity. this skin will provide us with a 20 deck skin very similar to vdj default 6 deck keeping the 4 master decks easy to see at all times.

==Your Help==
2 minds are better than 1. With your feedback, this skin will be built and designed in the best way possible.

==Personal Goal==
My personal goal is to make this VDJ default skin showing off what vdj can really do. .. and get another star added to my name. ;)

new controllers (like my sz2) will be able to trigger and control these 16 extra decks (sampler decks) via the "fx" buttons on top of each mixer volume channel of each deck.
controller mapping is an entirely different issue to be addressed at another time.

here is what i'm looking at so far. using ms paint, i made this rough draft to get a visual goal. what do you think i should add/remove?
left side shows the new plan.. right side shows the old skin.

changes
..replaced deck 3 with 8 small decks
..main play panel cosmetic movement
..new: eject button to unload

Posted Sat 24 Jun 17 @ 6:09 pm
Phase 1 complete:

Skin uploaded: VDJ8-12X.. Waiting for approval.

This first skin is a preview of the 20 Decks.
In this skin there are 12 decks.
Master Control for 4 decks.
You will need to configure your output device so you can hear the audio.
The skin has been designed with these configuration..
Configure the audio to output
Deck 5, Deck 6 >> ch 3
Deck 7, Deck 8 >> ch 1
Deck 9, Deck 10 >> ch 2
Deck 11, Deck 12 >> ch 4

Here is a screen shot.

as usual - comments are always welcome.

Posted Sun 25 Jun 17 @ 1:22 am
update: 1.1
each deck now has dedicated 4 hot cues

Posted Sun 25 Jun 17 @ 3:06 am
update: version 1.2

beatlock buttons per sampler deck

beat bars for all 12 decks next to the clock

why is it taking so long to be approved?

Posted Mon 26 Jun 17 @ 3:49 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
"so long" is 2 days ?
We will take a look once you upload the "final" version, or are you done with the updates ? :)

Posted Mon 26 Jun 17 @ 9:07 am
I will wait on you 20x Deck skin

greatings and Thanks,Dirk

Posted Mon 26 Jun 17 @ 9:55 am
You are doing almost what I tried to get done. Would you like to see the work progress, maybe you could use some of the ideas

Posted Mon 26 Jun 17 @ 11:13 am
the idea was a 20x skin. something along the way made me decide to publish a 12x skin as well.

if i get more ideas and have time for it, i'll make an update. right now it's very well done. looks good and acts as it should. in my opinion it is complete.

please approve it so people can use it and give me feedback. I think that the 20X skin will be overwhelming, but if the 12X goes well, then i may go as far as 99.

truth be told, i plan to take full advantage of the total decks possible. so there will be many skins to come. right now i'm looking for ideas on how to improve the sampler deck without overdoing it or underdoing it. i need feedback.

any and all comments, suggestions, opinions are all wanted, welcomed, and appreciated.

people.. help me navigate the development of this skin.

once people tell me that the sampler deck is perfect, then i'll start working on a new skin: 20X, then more and more skins with more and more decks with more and more pages.

in future skins, i plan to keep decks 1,2,3,4 always visible and have pages to navigate between the other decks..

one last thing, i'm no graphic expert, everything in the skin is just a xaml edit. there is nothing new. if it's nowhere to be seen in vdj default skins, it will be hard to add it. if it is in vdj default skins, then it's just time and patience.

i can't say this enough.. feedback, feedback, feedback.

thanks,

Posted Mon 26 Jun 17 @ 2:57 pm
In order to make it interesting for me, is that all those decks behave like the sampler.
No glitches in seemless loop and such.
Can you get the same performance out of a deck, as the sampler ? (especially when the loop starts over)

Posted Mon 26 Jun 17 @ 4:11 pm
If I was making this skin, I would probably have all the "sampler" decks in a separate popup floating window, so that the main skin doesn't get too cluttered.

That way it can get resized or moved to a second screen.

Even with this many small decks, you're starting to lose browser space. IMO once the browser gets below 50% of the screen height, it's too small.

Posted Mon 26 Jun 17 @ 4:43 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005

Posted Mon 26 Jun 17 @ 5:21 pm
djdad wrote :
i fail to see how this skin project can resemble "Remix decks" at all.

Because?

Posted Mon 26 Jun 17 @ 5:32 pm
MrJackson2014 wrote :
In order to make it interesting for me, is that all those decks behave like the sampler.
No glitches in seemless loop and such.
Can you get the same performance out of a deck, as the sampler ? (especially when the loop starts over)

easy. click on beat lock for that deck. that will lock the beats to the master deck.

click on any "M" in any deck to set it to be the master deck. then all Beat Locked decks will sync up with that deck.

to edit a sample deck click on its number. when you do that, that deck will take over as the primary deck [left or right] then you can select any fx, loop, hot cues, etc. to apply to it.

Posted Mon 26 Jun 17 @ 6:03 pm
groovindj wrote :
If I was making this skin, I would probably have all the "sampler" decks in a separate popup floating window, so that the main skin doesn't get too cluttered.

That way it can get resized or moved to a second screen.

Even with this many small decks, you're starting to lose browser space. IMO once the browser gets below 50% of the screen height, it's too small.

no worries. the "browser zoom" is kept in tact.

this skin only replaces deck 3 and deck 4 from vdj 4 deck skin with small decks similar to vdj 6 deck skin.

Posted Mon 26 Jun 17 @ 6:06 pm
djdad wrote :
i fail to see how this skin project can resemble "Remix decks" at all.

this skin is something that i thought about, got excited about, then built it.. and after publishing it found out about "remix decks". then found out about NI remix decks..
i in no way want to "copy" another idea of another entity.

VDJ "remix decks" skin by the VDJ user who was working on it would serve as a good navigation direction for this skin. this is why i need feedback. i take what i can use, i learn from what i can learn, and apply what i can apply.

we are all on the same boat here. VDJ over any other DJ software.
If people like the skin, then they will use it. if not, then they wont. thanks for approving it.

one of my original goals was to be able to harness the power of VDJ 99 decks and work on that video promo VDJ is using. my skin looks like a vdj default skin on purpose.

thank you for the feedback and keep on replying.

Posted Mon 26 Jun 17 @ 6:28 pm
For me it's more than enough to handle 4 decks :)
BUT using a few extra decks as samplers, makes me hungry LOL
I often use drumbeats constantly going in the background which I filter and now I can apply FX to certain 'samples' in certain 'groups' split by decks.

EDIT: Is it possible to assign different FX to those extra decks ?

Posted Mon 26 Jun 17 @ 6:38 pm
vlnjacki wrote :

Intressting Skin but i love the Jogwheels and other things too for the Skin too.

Questions:
Does this not goes that can make a Skinpage for the VDJ Decks,think this where very nice .

I mean this so,that where nice when this goes:

Skinpage:
Page 1: Deck 1-4
Page 2. Deck 5-8
Page 3: Deck 9-12
Page 4: Deck 13-16
Page 5: Deck 17-20

But iam waiting on your nice idea,hope your 20x Deck Skin come

greatings,Dirk

i think decks 1-4 should be visible at all times,
then 4 or 8.. not sure which will be beneath those decks.
here is what i'm looking at as far as deck pages/panels

per your request working on page 2 for the 99 decks. slight issue where deck 13 controls deck 1. no idea why

Posted Mon 26 Jun 17 @ 6:40 pm
MrJackson2014 wrote :
For me it's more than enough to handle 4 decks :)
BUT using a few extra decks as samplers, makes me hungry LOL
I often use drumbeats constantly going in the background which I filter and now I can apply FX to certain 'samples' in certain 'groups' split by decks.

EDIT: Is it possible to assign different FX to those extra decks ?

those extra decks are all normal decks with full functionality.

Posted Mon 26 Jun 17 @ 7:07 pm
forget to signal the hotcues under each deck (a color on the number when there is a hotcue)
PB on the EQ, set only on 4 decks
Add more leftcross and rightcross for the crossfader

juan

Posted Mon 26 Jun 17 @ 7:27 pm
jmf28 wrote :
forget to signal the hotcues under each deck (a color on the number when there is a hotcue)
PB on the EQ, set only on 4 decks
Add more leftcross and rightcross for the crossfader

juan

hotcues.. wip
EQ.. where to put it? draw me a picture.
crossfaders.. done.

Posted Mon 26 Jun 17 @ 8:17 pm
61%