Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Problem with Sound Quality in Latest Builds 3523 & 3568-3573 !!! Please Help ... - Page: 7

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hello Guys,

On my Lenovo Laptop, which had Windows 10, I formatted the Hard Drive disc and Installed Windows 7 Ultimate, cuz I noticed that it wasn't using its own drivers for the USB PORTS (Windows USB Generic drivers) and maybe some last updates could have caused some issues effecting in some way VIRTUAL DJ's software.

I installed all the original drivers for my Laptop, I also installed all the Latest Updated drivers for all my Audio Interfaces (Hercules RMX2, Novation Audiohub and Native Instruments Audio 2)

I also Reinstalled Virtual DJ from build 3398, so it was installed like it never existed before on my Laptop, without keeping any previous files from the software whatsoever. Which meant that I had to configure everything manually.

Windows 7 Ultimate is super light and everything is working properly with everything freshly up to date and restored.

When trying out all my Audio Interfaces with V DJ b.3398, although everything seems to work perfectly, the Sound Quality still has the same problem, the Treble, High and Mid Ranges are just to Loud !!! With all my Interfaces ...!

(So I Updated to the Latest Build 3573)

So, conclusion so far ...

- It's not my USB ports or their Drivers, they're working properly.

- It's not the Drivers for the Audio Interfaces and Controllers, Downloaded and Updated everything.

- It's not any Strange Latest Windows Updates, Windows 7 Ultimate are Tested and Trustworthy unlike Windows 10 which are still at an experimental state.

- It's not my Virtual DJ's Configuration, I've sent it to you and you've seen no problem.

- It's not the Sample Rate, everything has been set to 44100 Hz

- and it's definitely not the Limiter, judging from my Last Gig, V DJ's Limiter doesn't activate easily anymore, it is also easy to tell when the sound is being compressed from the Limiter.

So what could have Elevated V DJ's Mid and High Ranges so much ...?

I can't seem to get the Old Sound Quality I remembered and the new sound Hisses and Screams of Treble that it makes my ears ache, especially when the singer pronounces the letter "S" (I know this sounds funny but it's true).

Could the problem rely on the EQ Settings ...?

equilizerLowFrequency 200

equilizerMidFrequency 1700

equilizerHighFrequency 6500

Have these values changed since build 8.2 came out ?
if not, are there any other alternate values I can try out ?

Can you send me the first couple of builds of 8.2 so I can Compare and Contrast ?

Posted Fri 10 Feb 17 @ 11:15 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
I wonder:
Most people that had this issue at some point, were all using Hercules controllers.
Maybe a Windows update or something else (I don't think Hercules drivers auto-update themselves) brake their drivers (even temporarily) and now it's bavk to normal ?
Just thinking out loud...

PhantomDeejay, no offense, but it kinda sounds like your implying that Virtual DJ is designed for very specific Controllers and Audio Interfaces.

Just so I can be of some help to you. It's not the Drivers. If you read my previous post in this thread you'll understand what I mean.

I've been having this problem with 3 different audio interfaces which one of them happens to be Hercules RMX2.
The reason I had purchased it, is because of it's compatibility with V DJ (which used to give a 50% discount for purchasing V DJ), it's reliability and for it's Internal Sound Card which is very nice, especially compared to other controllers at it's price range.

Have the same issue with Novation Audiohub, which is not known for emphasizing High and Mid Ranges, it's an Audio Interface specially designed for DJs, but It still seems to have the same sound quality issues.

I think more people have these sound issues, not just us, but haven't reported anything because, some people blame it on the Venues Equipment (Clubs), some people might not have the proper gear at home to listen to the problem, some blame it on their faulty hearing (there is a post in this thread that mentions it) and others maybe don't bother to post.

I've played in 3 different Clubs the past 2 weeks, and not only is the difference in sound obvious, the owners complain that the Trebles are to High.

On my last Gig, you could hear the Mid Ranges and every detail of the song coming out of the speakers, which is nice, but having so much Mid Range up in front elevates the High ranges, leaving in the background the Low-Base ranges and the Beat, making the music sound Flat.

It doesn't have that Rich, Puchy Sound with Structure that it used to, that would Rock the Club, it has more of a Studio Quality Sound, that gives emphasis to detail, sometimes to much, but sounds flat.

Just to let you know, I'm on your side, I want V DJ to sound Super again and I want to get to the bottom of this problem.

Posted Sat 11 Feb 17 @ 12:14 am
SpBlackCat,
Could somebody at the club trying to sabotage your sound quality? We had a karaoke guy working every Wednesday here and he was adjusting the sound to his own likes by touching the amps and eqs!!! One of the reasons i jumped on this post is cause i did notice a difference but at my house no difference. After comparing some photos i had taken of the amps i discovered that the karaoke guy wasn't switching his settings back to how they were suppose to be and all he did was make the sound worse (it was an old guy lol) last night i set back the settings of how everything should br and the sound is back normal.
Don't exclude anything. Anything is possible. But one thing isn't. That its the programs fault... It's definitely something else or else we would all be complaing of the sound quality.

Posted Sat 11 Feb 17 @ 1:11 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Did you try recording the same songs you sent earlier from within vdj yet?
Also, did you try another computer yet?
Another thing you might try is see if it still happens if the computer is battery-powered.

Posted Sat 11 Feb 17 @ 6:51 am
PressNPlayDJ wrote :
SpBlackCat,
Could somebody at the club trying to sabotage your sound quality? We had a karaoke guy working every Wednesday here and he was adjusting the sound to his own likes by touching the amps and eqs!!! One of the reasons i jumped on this post is cause i did notice a difference but at my house no difference. After comparing some photos i had taken of the amps i discovered that the karaoke guy wasn't switching his settings back to how they were suppose to be and all he did was make the sound worse (it was an old guy lol) last night i set back the settings of how everything should br and the sound is back normal.
Don't exclude anything. Anything is possible. But one thing isn't. That its the programs fault... It's definitely something else or else we would all be complaing of the sound quality.

Hello my friend,

I've heard of similar cases in the past, but no, I don't think so, I've been playing in 3 different Clubs the past year and I've noticed the difference in all 3 of them.

I'm not the type of person that trusts the Clubs equipment, either they might not be in good condition or don't have the proper settings.

This is why I bought Professional Studio Monitor Speakers, so I know the exact sound that is coming out of my equipment, I've seen this Issue at home and I've noticed it at all the Venues that I play at.

One Club OK, you'll think that something is wrong with their gear, 3 Clubs is to much of a coincidence.

So No, I don't think I'm a victim of this type of sabotage. But thank you for your time :-)

Posted Sat 11 Feb 17 @ 10:31 am
Adion wrote :
Another thing you might try is see if it still happens if the computer is battery-powered.

Hello Adion,

I've did recordings and I've sent the recordings.

I've not only tried different computers, I've also tried different operating systems, Windows 7, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 & 10.

I always have my Laptops plugged in when using Virtual DJ, I never use the software on battery, I also have the power settings set on High Performance, I had read Virtual DJs manual and this is the setting that it recommended.

Posted Sun 12 Feb 17 @ 6:36 pm
the reason he asked you to try on batter power is sometimes failing power supplies introduce noise to the system.

Posted Sun 12 Feb 17 @ 7:03 pm
wickedmix wrote :
the reason he asked you to try on batter power is sometimes failing power supplies introduce noise to the system.

AKA
DPC latency... You can download a free program to check your computer's latency. Maybe you didn't have a problem before and something changed and now you do.

Posted Sun 12 Feb 17 @ 7:28 pm
wickedmix wrote :

Hmmm, I'll try testing it with just the Battery,

I'll also try testing without the Battery to see if there is any difference ...

Thanks wickedmix

Posted Sun 12 Feb 17 @ 10:57 pm
PressNPlayDJ wrote :
wickedmix wrote :

AKA
DPC latency... You can download a free program to check your computer's latency. Maybe you didn't have a problem before and something changed and now you do.

Hello my friend,

do you know where I can download a reliable program like the one you're suggesting ?

Filehippo maybe ?

Posted Sun 12 Feb 17 @ 11:02 pm
SpBlackCat wrote :
PhantomDeejay wrote :
I wonder:
Most people that had this issue at some point, were all using Hercules controllers.
Maybe a Windows update or something else (I don't think Hercules drivers auto-update themselves) brake their drivers (even temporarily) and now it's bavk to normal ?
Just thinking out loud...

PhantomDeejay, no offense, but it kinda sounds like your implying that Virtual DJ is designed for very specific Controllers and Audio Interfaces.

No, I'm not implying that. Under no point I said VirtualDj doesn't work well with that audio interface or that's better to use another one.
However on technical terms it seems too much to be a coinsidence that most people complaining about this are using Hercules units.
Just for reference, I use 4 different Pioneer controllers, 2 Denon and 1 Numark on a regular basis. I haven't noticed any issue with sound color.
Additionally I also tried to reproduce the issue reported here with 2 Hercules units (one of them was an RMX2), 1 Gemini, 1 AKAI and 2 NI without success as well.
SpBlackCat wrote :
I think more people have these sound issues, not just us, but haven't reported anything because, some people blame it on the Venues Equipment (Clubs), some people might not have the proper gear at home to listen to the problem, some blame it on their faulty hearing (there is a post in this thread that mentions it) and others maybe don't bother to post.

Actually it's the other way around.
People usually come and bitch on these forums regularly about anything. Most of the time it's a user or system error / missconfiguration that causes their issues and bitching. So, if this was a wide-spread issue the forums would be on fire and this topic would be 20 pages long with posts of hundred of users just bitching instead of 8 people trying to figure out what's wrong
SpBlackCat wrote :
I've played in 3 different Clubs the past 2 weeks, and not only is the difference in sound obvious, the owners complain that the Trebles are to High.

Personally I don't (and I will never) mind what club owners say. I mind sound engineers, and preferably the sound engineer that installed and tweaked the club's system...
SpBlackCat wrote :
On my last Gig, you could hear the Mid Ranges and every detail of the song coming out of the speakers, which is nice, but having so much Mid Range up in front elevates the High ranges, leaving in the background the Low-Base ranges and the Beat, making the music sound Flat.

We're kind of lost in translation here... I hope this hole conversation is not about sound "sounding flat" but for a change in the sound output betwen different builds of the program.
Professional audio applications are NOT supposed to colorize the sound. They ARE supposed to produce a "flat" sound that later you can enhance with your clubs speaker management unit and produce the outcome that's suitable for the given installation.
SpBlackCat wrote :
It doesn't have that Rich, Puchy Sound with Structure that it used to, that would Rock the Club, it has more of a Studio Quality Sound, that gives emphasis to detail, sometimes to much, but sounds flat.

See my comment above about professional audio applications. Since on your previous post you mentioned that you tested on your studio monitors you should understand what I mean (and not have further missunderstandings among us)

Sidenote:
I'm very picky about audio quality as well. I install and tweak sound systems since mid 90's ranging from small bars to large PA systems covering some of the biggest concerts in my country. What makes me sceptical about this issue is not only that I cannot reproduce it but the fact that no-one yet was able to provide recordings with the sound difference between 2 given builds.
The sound recordings are not needed "as a proof" (we do believe you) but as a reference point to understand what may cause the issue on those very rare cases like yours.
Without a reference point we're just chasing ghosts. Even among sound engineers describing a sound problem/issue is a very hard task. Every sound engineer will interpete a sentence in a different way. However if you provide them an audio example, they will understand exactly what the sentence tries to say.
That's why we insist on a recording, and that's why we're suggestiong solution that may be meaningless. We suggest solutions "just in case" until someone finds a way to reproduce the issue at will, or provide us an audio sample that will lead us to the right direction....

Posted Mon 13 Feb 17 @ 9:37 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
SpBlackCat wrote :
Adion wrote :

Hello Adion,

I've did recordings and I've sent the recordings.

I've not only tried different computers, I've also tried different operating systems, Windows 7, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 & 10.

I always have my Laptops plugged in when using Virtual DJ, I never use the software on battery, I also have the power settings set on High Performance, I had read Virtual DJs manual and this is the setting that it recommended.

Thanks, but I didn't receive your recordings, where did you send them?

Posted Mon 13 Feb 17 @ 10:00 am
[/quote]
Thanks, but I didn't receive your recordings, where did you send them?[/quote]

The recordings that you requested with the sound differences between builds, I had put the Drop Box link in a Post in this Thread.

you mentioned that you listened to them ...

I think I sent you everything that you requested.

what other recordings do you need ?

Posted Mon 13 Feb 17 @ 10:18 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
:

Professional audio applications are NOT supposed to colorize the sound. They ARE supposed to produce a "flat" sound that later you can enhance with your clubs speaker management unit and produce the outcome that's suitable for the given installation.
[quote=SpBlackCat ]It doesn't have that Rich, Puchy Sound with Structure that it used to, that would Rock the Club, it has more of a Studio Quality Sound, that gives emphasis to detail, sometimes to much, but sounds flat.

My friend,

I'm not pointing out on what an Audio Application should do, I'm describing how Virtual DJ 8.2 first sounded like and how it sounds now, I'm trying to explain how different it is.

So please try to calm down so you can be able to understand what I'm trying to tell you.

Posted Mon 13 Feb 17 @ 10:27 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
just for reference, I use 4 different Pioneer controllers, 2 Denon and 1 Numark on a regular basis. I haven't noticed any issue with sound color.
Additionally I also tried to reproduce the issue reported here with 2 Hercules units (one of them was an RMX2), 1 Gemini, 1 AKAI and 2 NI without success as well.

You mentioned that you have two RMX2 units, tried them out and the sound is OK.

What could possibly be wrong that I'm getting so much High and Mid Ranges then ?

I've sent you all the Info that you requested, I not only reinstalled and updated all the drivers, I even reinstalled a new OS on one of my Laptops.

You mentioned that "Most of the time it's a user or system error / missconfiguration that causes their issues".

I can easily accept that it could be one of the above that you mentioned, I would prefer it actually, cuz whatever it is, I'll gladly fix it or adjust it.

As I wrote in detail what I checked, what I've changed and what I reinstalled, what else should I check or adjust ...?

I know that this is getting tiring for you guys, it's getting tiring for me also, so I'm trying to get to the bottom of this as soon as possible.

Posted Mon 13 Feb 17 @ 10:52 pm
SpBlackCat wrote :
So please try to calm down so you can be able to understand what I'm trying to tell you.

I am calm! I said it a few times already that since English is not my mother tongue what I say may not come out how I want to say it and give wrong impressions.

SpBlackCat wrote :
You mentioned that you have two RMX2 units, tried them out and the sound is OK.

I mentioned that I tried to duplicate your issue on two Hercules Units as well, one of them being an RMX2.
The sound is and was always OK for me.
You describe your issue as a change of sound color between two builds. That I cannot reproduce.
SpBlackCat wrote :
What could possibly be wrong that I'm getting so much High and Mid Ranges then ?

I can't tell because I don't know what you mean with your above sentence. :) I need an audio example that demonstrates the difference!
Let's do another test:
Play the same file through iTunes or WMP or Winamp or whatever application you want (as soon as these applications don't use any DSP) and through VirtualDj. Is there an audible difference in sound color ?
If yes, and if you have turned off all DSP on your software and WASAPI driver properties, can you at least record these samples and send them to us?
SpBlackCat wrote :
You mentioned that "Most of the time it's a user or system error / missconfiguration that causes their issues".

I can easily accept that it could be one of the above that you mentioned, I would prefer it actually, cuz whatever it is, I'll gladly fix it or adjust it.

As I wrote in detail what I checked, what I've changed and what I reinstalled, what else should I check or adjust ...?

Don't take everything personally :)
I stated that out of 100 people reporting issues of the software, only 10 (or even less) are actual software issues. The rest are due to user / system errors or misconfiguration. That doesn't necessarily means that your issue falls on the above case.

Also I said above that until we're able to reproduce (or someone be able to demonstrate the issue) we're chasing ghosts. We provide you various solutions "just in case" they work out. Unfortunately we don't have your system in front of us, nor we can hear what you hear in order to understand better what the issue may be.
SpBlackCat wrote :
I know that this is getting tiring for you guys, it's getting tiring for me also, so I'm trying to get to the bottom of this as soon as possible.

No, it's not getting tiring!
But it's like getting your car on the garage because you hear a noise in the engine, and every time the car is in the garage or the garage staff takes your car for a ride the noise is gone!
As you can see we take your word very seriously and we try to find out what the issue may be. If we didn't believe you or if we were getting tired we wouldn't bother with this issue anymore.
So, can you try the test above ?
Record the same file from VirtualDj and another software and see if there are any audible differences (other than overall volume level of course) ?

Thanks!

Posted Tue 14 Feb 17 @ 12:18 am
Hi all,
well, after all this reading and much testing (I had another party last Saturday), it seems to me that this is not about a "bug". This is how virtualdj actually sounds.
I suspect that in my case (both on my hardware and the main venue that use it's own hardware - after all, I am the one that maintains them both), the program kept some previous audio settings and at some point of time, during some random updating, it turned audio to default values. And because me and my clients were used for some time to that "other sound", now we have that feeling that something is not "correct".

Anyway, the fact in my case remains that indeed mid / highs sound extra and the bass a bit less. So I guess I'll start a new thread on the general subforum sometime later, asking how to use the EQ and how to set it up. Thankfully, virtualdj is a very flexible program and since I had that sound before, I bet I can somehow adjust the program so to have it again.

Thank you all for your patience and help!

Posted Tue 14 Feb 17 @ 10:17 am
Labrokratis.
I have a test for you and everyone on this post that are havung issue with the sound quality.

Go in a studio and plug in on the a pioneer mixer on line 1 your laptop with your controller and virtual DJ.
On line 2 plug in another laptop with the same or even different controller that has sorato.
Play the same exact song at the exact same time and use the crossfader of the pioneer mixer to go from line 1 (virtual DJ) to line 2(sorato)
You will be amazed at this result. You will hear almost the same crystal sound. Virtual DJ will be even "clearer". You can try this test with a CD that has the exact same song that you will play on virtual DJ.
As a DJ who uses virtual DJs 100℅ potential, I buy my music and make sure the quality is best.
I'm assuming that everyone here buys their music because if you just get songs from pirate sites or YouTube don't expect the quality to be up there

Posted Tue 14 Feb 17 @ 5:44 pm
PressNPlayDJ wrote :
Labrokratis.
I have a test for you and everyone on this post that are havung issue with the sound quality.

Go in a studio and plug in on the a pioneer mixer on line 1 your laptop with your controller and virtual DJ.
On line 2 plug in another laptop with the same or even different controller that has sorato.
Play the same exact song at the exact same time and use the crossfader of the pioneer mixer to go from line 1 (virtual DJ) to line 2(sorato)
You will be amazed at this result. You will hear almost the same crystal sound. Virtual DJ will be even "clearer". You can try this test with a CD that has the exact same song that you will play on virtual DJ.
As a DJ who uses virtual DJs 100℅ potential, I buy my music and make sure the quality is best.
I'm assuming that everyone here buys their music because if you just get songs from pirate sites or YouTube don't expect the quality to be up there

Hello PressNPlayDJ,

There is no doubt that Virtual DJ is better Software than Serato, I think Serato specializes more on Time-Coding, as I've heard.

But I'm afraid the Issue in this thread isn't about if one DJ Software sounds the same or sounds better than the other.

It's more about trying to restore the Sound Quality that we had in V DJ 8.2 at the beginning (Summer time) and the possible reasons why it has changed, what exactly is at fault.

I don't disagree with you, Virtual DJs Sound Quality is Crystal Clear, but for some reasons we're getting to much High and Mid Range frequencies when others say they don't.

This could be caused from a combination of things.

Comparing it with either Traktor, Serato, DJuced etc etc might complicate things, because I personally never used these software products, so I have no reference on how they're supposed to sound like.

Of course playing songs in different apps you get different sound qualities, like Audacity sounds different compared to Foobar, Winamp etc

But getting different sound qualities with the same software is what's troubling us in here.

Posted Tue 14 Feb 17 @ 8:54 pm
72%