Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: I'd like my money back on content unlimited - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Andy7689 wrote :
Klaus, having looked into it a little bit, just because I am pedantic like that :). It is illegal to rip any CD whether you own the original or not apparently, it makes no difference whether you sell the CD or not, the crime is the same.

Ok. That's not true in Denmark. Here you can rip your cd's for personal use, since "moving between formats" is ok

Posted Thu 13 Oct 16 @ 10:58 am
Quote :
Ok. That's not true in Denmark. Here you can rip your cd's for personal use, since "moving between formats" is ok

So do you, or would you use these tracks for public performances?

Posted Thu 13 Oct 16 @ 11:10 am
Andy7689 wrote :
Quote :

So do you, or would you use these tracks for public performances?

I do. Which is illegal
Only CD's and vinyl can be used for DJing in Denmark.
It's illegal to buy and download tracks and use them for public performance regardless of source.
The law is from the early 90's, and it's not being enforced anymore. Last case was from early 00's - but it's still there :)

Posted Thu 13 Oct 16 @ 11:22 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Public performance is typically covered by other fees typically paid by the venue owner.
As long as these fees are properly paid I'm not sure if the source of the music still matters (audio cd's also have a notice on them that they are not for public performance, as this is covered by this separate license)

Posted Thu 13 Oct 16 @ 11:30 am
Andy7689 wrote :
It is illegal to rip a CD....period

Actually not period. If you read the copyright details on a CD, you'll notice that copying etc. is only not permitted if it's unauthorised.

In other words, if you have a license to do so from the right authorities, you can rip to your heart's content.

I guess you've not heard of the Produb license that's been around in the UK now for some years. It gives DJs specific permission to rip from CD to MP3 (etc) for the purposes of digital DJing.

Posted Thu 13 Oct 16 @ 5:11 pm
Quote :
I guess you've not heard of the Produb license that's been around in the UK now for some years. It gives DJs specific permission to rip from CD to MP3 (etc) for the purposes of digital DJing.

No, I am aware of the Produb licence, though I am also aware that very few DJ's actually have one, because its pretty much unenforceable.

Posted Fri 14 Oct 16 @ 9:33 am
Couldn't agree more. The whole "format shifting" licence is a complete joke and PRS/MCPS are just raising money for themselves. Anyone who actually paid for one is a mug.

Posted Fri 14 Oct 16 @ 10:59 am
Adion wrote :
Public performance is typically covered by other fees typically paid by the venue owner.
As long as these fees are properly paid I'm not sure if the source of the music still matters (audio cd's also have a notice on them that they are not for public performance, as this is covered by this separate license)

In Belgium the public performance has to be covered by the venue owner. But a dj only can play with the original track: a cd, vinyl, or a pc if the track is downloaded with the pc. Same for a usb-stick. The download had to be directly on that stick.
You only are allowed to make a copy of music for personal use. If you pay a dj licence (207 euro + tax) you can play with a copy of your music and let the original track home (eg vinyl).
So, in practice, when there is a control from SABAM (right holders organisation), if you can show the licence, they never ask you where you get your music from. You can use what you want.... As a dj, it is sometimes promos that you play with, special editions send by mail or post...
I have a lot of white labeled vinyl, sent to me for promotion.

Posted Sat 15 Oct 16 @ 4:25 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)