Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Ask the DJ does not support "Show Only" options

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

When you have certain options selected in "Show Only", performing a search with the Ask the DJ selected does not respect these settings and displays all results (audio, video, and karaoke) no matter what.

Version: v8.2 b3324

Posted Mon 01 Aug 16 @ 8:58 pm
djmrmcPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I noticed the same last Friday too. Was driving me mad.

Posted Tue 02 Aug 16 @ 4:35 am
Personally I think it makes sense to show all results.

Someone has asked for a request. You're checking to see if you have it.

If (E.G.) 'show audio' was enabled, the track would not show in results if you had it only in video format. Isn't it better to know that you do have it, regardless of format?

Posted Sun 18 Dec 16 @ 10:05 am
groovindj wrote :
Personally I think it makes sense to show all results.

Someone has asked for a request. You're checking to see if you have it.

If (E.G.) 'show audio' was enabled, the track would not show in results if you had it only in video format. Isn't it better to know that you do have it, regardless of format?

For me it was a pain because the gig I was doing was strictly all videos and audio only files were not suitable for the show. I did just want to see if I "had" the videos that some people asked for.

Posted Mon 19 Dec 16 @ 2:55 am
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
Why not make a specific textfile for your files that you want to show in Ask the Dj (Video, Karaoke & Audio).
I did a quick tutorial for you who doesnt know how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv0ZAz8KK7A

Posted Tue 20 Dec 16 @ 8:38 pm
freppa wrote :
Why not make a specific textfile for your files that you want to show in Ask the Dj (Video, Karaoke & Audio).
I did a quick tutorial for you who doesnt know how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv0ZAz8KK7A

Thanks freppa. Didn't know about that.

Posted Wed 21 Dec 16 @ 4:52 am
freppa wrote :

This is a good idea in addition to making sure that the folders display the right content, but it does not solve the original problem. As the previous poster mentioned, there are plenty of times you purposefully want to restrict your results. If I am running an audio or video DJ gig for example, I don't want all my karaoke files showing up:
Me: "I'm sorry, I don't have that track."
Them: "But I see it right there!"
Me: "No, that's a karaoke track."
Them: "Can't you play that, then?"
Me: "There aren't any words."
Them: "I'd still like to hear it."
Me: *smh*

The bottom line is, the "Show Only" options should be applied universally. There shouldn't be different behavior for different folders in the file browser. If any type of folder *deserves* this treatment, it's playlists (from your history). But, the Show Only options DO affect viewing history playlists. So, the behavior in Ask The DJ doesn't make sense.

Posted Fri 30 Dec 16 @ 2:36 am
I do understand that you just want to show the files on Ask the Dj that you want to play, and this is what I have explained in my tutorial (do not add karaoke files in the text, the files that shows in the browser is the one that will be exported).

This is just a process to avoid the wrong files to show up in the searchfield in Ask the Dj, but you can have your whole library (karaoke,video & audio) shown in your browser aswell or just turn them off with the buttons shown in the picture below.

"I know that the Karaoke files are shown in the browser when I only choose to show Video and search for only Videos"

It is very easy to copy/paste edit in the textfile(s) that you export from the browser to show exactly what file you want in ask the dj, you could add different texts from the browser for different files.

Posted Fri 30 Dec 16 @ 3:18 pm
freppa wrote :
It is very easy to copy/paste edit in the textfile(s) that you export from the browser to show exactly what file you want in ask the dj, you could add different texts from the browser for different files.

I do not have the buttons you illustrate in your screenshot, but those would be very, very convenient for me! What skin are you using?

I don't think you understand that we are not talking about the Ask The DJ website, but rather the Ask The DJ folder from within VirtualDJ. I am aware that I can change the results displayed to the user in the Ask The DJ search field. That is not what this bug report it about. Screenshots to illustrate the issue:

Notice here that everything is selected, and everything is displayed:

Now, the same folder (a history playlist) with Show Only options applied (VirtualDJ correctly removes karaoke and video files):

Next, Ask The DJ search results with everything selected (notice karaoke displayed with music tracks):

Finally, Ask The DJ with Show Only filters applied (notice that it ignores them completely, and karaoke is displayed despite my preference):

Latest version of VirtualDJ is VirtualDJ 8.2 b3523 PC, and this bug is still present here.

groovindj wrote :

Absolutely not. There are any number of reasons to filter the search results on purpose, karaoke tracks being a prime example (which I illustrated in my sample dialog, above). Also, video versions typically are not album-true, they have breaks, pauses, or dialog that are not particularly suited for playback in an audio-only environment. I'd rather have the option (which already exists, but doesn't work the way it is supposed to for this folder) to filter the results to just what I want, and for the rare occasions that no results are found, toggle the options and perform my search again.

If I wanted the behavior you describe, I could simply leave all three check boxes selected.

Posted Sat 31 Dec 16 @ 4:26 am
Let me see if I understand you. Are you saying that you allow your guest to actually see what music that you have, using Ask The DJ?

Posted Sat 31 Dec 16 @ 7:11 am
That is how I use it AMAHM.
With Askthedj I choose the files to be seen with the import of the text file and the guests can make requests from that specific list on their own hardware (phones etc..) through the website.

Not really sure about how elindsey use it ?
Do you show your computerscreen to the guests or do they use AsktheDj on their phones?
The guests should only see the files that you have used in the exported/imported textfile, even if you have your whole library shown in your own screen.

The skin is the Default in my tutorial, the buttons should be there when using 2decks.
I prefer to use the skin V8 by FRUiT.

Posted Sat 31 Dec 16 @ 9:05 am

Posted Sat 31 Dec 16 @ 9:25 am
freppa wrote :
Do you show your computerscreen to the guests or do they use AsktheDj on their phones?

Both. I allow guests to come up and make requests directly from me, in case they don't have a smartphone or it is dead. I'm in a karaoke environment, where my console and I face the stage, and the guests speaking to me are usually to my left or right. This means that they can often see/read the screen, if their eyes are good enough (I get a lot of old people in the earlier parts of my show xD).

freppa wrote :
http://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/virtualdj8/interface/database/askthedj.html

This doesn't say anything about the folder ignoring my "Show Only" options; if it did and they justified their reasoning, then it would make more sense, I suppose.

freppa wrote :
the buttons should be there when using 2decks.

Interesting. The buttons are indeed there in 2 decks, but not in 4 decks (even though there is room for them). I wonder why that is?

Posted Sun 01 Jan 17 @ 2:26 am
elindsey wrote :
I wonder why that is?

It's a quirk with the browser resizing. The smaller the browser height, the more buttons will either disappear or sit on top of each other.

It's been like this since release of VDJ 8. I have mentioned it before (and maybe others have too) but it's not been addressed.

You could make your own equivalents elsewhere on the skin by scripting three custom buttons.

Posted Sun 01 Jan 17 @ 11:30 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)