Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: The dreaded 'Database corrupt - do you wish to repair, yes or no'

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I had this issue and naturally I clicked on 'yes'. I then found that my database contained around 10 songs instead of the 35,000 it should have!!!

I am aware that it is good housekeeping to 'backup' your database, but, although this isn't a problem for the 'computer geeks' among us, there are many DJs who know nothing about computers.

I did have a database backup (last October doh!). Yep, like lots of people I don't religiously backup every week like I should. I restored and found that all info from last October to now had gone, especially cue points and also I had been colour coding all my files in the browser. I had to re-analyse all these files from October. It will take a while to restore the colour coding as it requires listening to every tune to decide what type of tune it is.

I personally think it would be a good idea to have a routine at the shutdown of the program to ask the user to backup the 'database & settings files' like many accountancy programs do. Many ask how many backups (say 3) and ask if you want to delete the oldest. As a programmer I believe this would be really simple to program. Somewhere in the program, there should also be a 'restore facility'.

If this was included in the program it would be awesome and would be unbelievably beneficial to all users

Thanks
Les

Posted Thu 28 Jul 16 @ 12:36 am
I backup my "critical" files every week to a separate folder which contains DB, licence, settings, playlists, skins and mappings. It then gets synced with the music folder and all other VDJ files to an external HDD which literally takes seconds.

Since Atomix are in to the online side of things, I don't see why VDJ doesn't have the option to back up at least your DB and settings file automatically to the VDJ servers maybe once a month, so at least if something catastrophic happens you at least have a recent DB and settings file to recover from.

I have asked for this feature a few times now, but really Les you should know better by now!

Since you have both Mac & PC on there you could just recover the DB from the other side (if it is more recent) and edit the file paths?

Posted Thu 28 Jul 16 @ 6:32 am
kradcliffe wrote :
........but really Les you should know better by now!

Ha ha ha, thanks for that Keith, consider me suitably chastised. :-)

kradcliffe wrote :
Since you have both Mac & PC on there you could just recover the DB from the other side (if it is more recent) and edit the file paths?

No, I use an external 2tb HD for all music and videos (35,000). The database is on the external, so, even though I have a boot camped Mac, and can be PC or Mac, the database is still on the external in the same place.

I had copies of the database on the external HD, internal Mac, internal PC and also Dropbox, but, they were all 3rd October 2015. Oh well.

It should not be left up to the users to manually get into the 'nuts & bolts' and backup the database. As mentioned there are a lot of people DJing with computers who are not computer savvy, and even some of us seasoned professionals can easily let it slip. ;-)

I have used accountancy programs for over 20 years and they all have a backup regime to make sure you never lose your data. I consider the database for VirtualDJ in the same context of importance.

So devs, can we have a backup/recovery system for important files introduced? Shouldn't be too hard to implement.

Posted Thu 28 Jul 16 @ 8:08 am
DJSoulman wrote :

So devs, can we have a backup/recovery system for important files introduced? Shouldn't be too hard to implement.

I back up immediately after each gig using a usb stick and or the cloud. I think the devs could do a 'Do You Wish To Back Up To Your VDJ Account/USB/Cloud' once aweek maybe (optional of course)

Posted Thu 28 Jul 16 @ 8:36 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
When you select yes to the database repair, a backup from before repairing is automatically created.
You could open it in a text editor and see what's wrong with it.

Posted Thu 28 Jul 16 @ 10:47 am
Yeh still got copies of the broken database file, 38.7mb. Wouldn't know where to start to find what's wrong with it. There's 24,000 mp3s, 9,000 vids & 8,000 karaoke files in there.

Had a wedding on Tuesday and have weddings tonight Friday & Saturday, so, don't want to mess around with my setup. What happens if you say no to the database fix?

Posted Thu 28 Jul 16 @ 11:30 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
It jumps out of it's box and slaps you about a bit, then it breaks your legs.

Don't never say no to a Database! It's a Geordie!!!

Posted Thu 28 Jul 16 @ 12:39 pm
Thou's as daft as me Paul.

How's it goin' marra, you still working?

Posted Thu 28 Jul 16 @ 4:18 pm
If you say no the corrupt parts stay in the database file.
If after saying yes you only have a small number of files in your database, that means it's only this small number of files that had been read from the database in the first place though, so it shouldn't really solve anything.

If you can upload the database somewhere I can have a look at what may be wrong with it.

Posted Fri 29 Jul 16 @ 6:31 pm
At a wedding now and just had another issue.

Last night's wedding went off without any problems.

At the start of tonight's wedding, there were songs in the playlists that looked as if they had not been analysed, yet, I re-analysed my complete video database yesterday. I added a song for the groom to a folder on the HD and when I right clicked to add it to the database the program started re-reading all the tags in the video database (9,000). As mentioned everything was fine last night. I backed up everything including the various stages of the database repairs. I was too close to the first dance to do anything about it and had to persevere for about an hour. We're on the buffett now with my background system running. I've just reinstated yesterday's copy of the database and it seems to be ok for now. Keeping my fingers crossed for the next 2 hours after the buffett.

I'll get the file to you Adion when I get home in about 3-4 hours through Dropbox.

Posted Fri 29 Jul 16 @ 8:25 pm
Posted a dropbox link to the faulty database on your wall Adion.

Posted Sat 30 Jul 16 @ 1:29 pm
Mid 2010 MBP i7 15” 2.66ghz 8gb internal SSD 500gb boot camped with W7 250/250 split. El Capitan 10.11.6. nVidia GeForce GT330M 512mb. WD Passport 2tb external HD.

All databases are stored on the external HD; Mp3 (25,086), Video (9,400) and Karaoke (7,866). The Karaoke is normally switched off and rarely used (once or twice per year).

I’ve just had a very worrying situation with VirtualDJ 8.2 b3343.

I have not used VDJ since my last wedding gig on the 30th July 2016. My next gig is this Saturday 13th August 2016.

I usually assemble the BBC Top 40 each week in the AutoMix to create and save as a playlist in the correct order. I usually do this by opening a Safari Window containing the BBC Top 40 Chart on the left of the screen. I also open VDJ in a window on the right of the screen where I have last weeks Top 40 in the centre panel of the browser and copy most of the last week's tunes over to the AutoMix list in the new correct order. Then add any new entries as shown in the screenshot below.

I had assembled most of the list up to position 35 when the centre panel seemed to redraw itself without any interaction from me. Lots of the BPMs, Camelot Key data and some of the lengths associated with each tune disappeared!!! Also since last November I had been using the browser colour feature where all my chart tunes are coloured to indicate the type of music for me (my own system). When the centre panel did the redraw all the colours were gone and were all white.

I had this happen recently when the database became corrupted and I had to revert to the last copy I did of the database last November. So, I closed the program and, with the finder, I checked the database.xml on my external hard drive only to find it dated 31.07.16 (the day after the last wedding I did). I checked the database.xml on my internal hard drive and found it’s time and date was minutes ago. I then restarted VirtualDJ only to find everything was back to normal with all the up-to-date data correct and colour tags intact!!! How weird is that!!!

It seems as thought VDJ had switched the database.xml file in the middle of using it, then, after closing and re-opening it switched back to the current database.xml. I find it very strange and worrying that something like this can happen during the use of the program without any external interaction to cause it. I feel I should retreat to an older build for safety, but, which build? How far back should I go to feel comfortable?

I did send a dropbox link to a previous corrupt database.xml file by private message to Adion to be checked last week, but, have not had any feedback yet.

Posted Tue 09 Aug 16 @ 12:59 am
espepePRO InfinityMember since 2009
I was following this trhead I have similar problem,I think is this last build,its very frustanting.

Posted Sat 20 Aug 16 @ 9:53 am
Well, it's happened again!!!

Was using the latest earlyAccess build b3398. Haven't opened the program since last Fridays wedding, which went flawlessly. Connected my external HD and opened the program. Looked at my Wedding 1st dances playlist and instead of 61 tunes it only had 19!!! Started looking at some more playlists to find to my horror playlists I've had for years suddenly contained about 1/3 or even 1/4 of the tunes that should have been there.

I also found that many of my Virtual Folders were either empty or had a fraction of the previous contents in them.

I disconnected my external HD and looked at the lists again. The 1st dance list contained 61 entries, but, as the HD was not connected there was no link to the files. I reconnected the HD while the program was 'live' and the 1st dance list reduced again to 19 entries.

I thought that this must be the latest earlyAccess build causing this, so, I deleted build b3398 and downloaded the latest Public build b3343 but it was exactly the same. I then closed the program and renamed the database.xml and renamed the last database bak.xml I had saved from last weeks wedding. Ran VDJ and got the message that the database was corrupt and did I want to fix it? I clicked 'yes' and all my playlists were back to normal with 61 entries in my 1st dances playlist.

This has only been happening in the last couple of months through newer builds.

I did send a copy of the broken database at the end of July for inspection but have not heard anything about it yet.

It's not great for confidence when doing weddings. :-(

Posted Thu 08 Sep 16 @ 9:53 pm
Where do you select the playlist from exactly?
A playlist in the 'Playlists' section on the left of the browser is stored on the local hard drive, and doesn't change when you connect/disconnect drives.

Posted Fri 09 Sep 16 @ 6:00 am
Yes, I select the playlist in the left window of the browser and it did change when I connected my external HD.

Before connecting the HD my 1st dances playlist was showing 61 files. But, obviously, there was no connection to the files and therefore, there was a red X at the start of the file and although Artist & Title was showing there was no data, i.e. length/bpm/harmonic key.

After connecting the external HD there was a small delay while the HD was being mounted. Then the browser display would redraw with all the data to the files showing. However, there were only 19 files.

Disconnecting the external had the reverse effect.

Later I noticed that the database.xml was 36mb but the database backup.xml I renamed to use was 43mb.

Posted Fri 09 Sep 16 @ 7:24 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)