Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: How to pause (or mute) with lingering echo (in slip mode)?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I would like to be able to make my own break in a song, by muting it with a lingering echo effect and then, after a certain number of beats, unmuting it again...

Problems:
1. How to mute and restore the former volume
2. How to get the echo effect to linger on while the volume is at zero (muted)

I tried the pausing way (volume remains the same and echo effect continues), with slip_mode on, but that doesn't work... Another problem with the pausing method is that i need a verb to make VDJ wait for, let's say, 500ms before pausing, to give the echo effect time to actually do something...

Can anyone here give me some pointers?

Posted Thu 26 May 16 @ 9:01 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Use the mute source button on the echo effect.

Posted Thu 26 May 16 @ 11:32 am
Wow, locodog... Since I'm using my own skin (and don't have the needed interface), I hadn't even seen that option! Thanks! :)

So, if I wanted to make a button, in VDJScript that would be: "effect_button 1 100%", is that correct?

Now, see if I can get everything into one button...

Posted Thu 26 May 16 @ 1:41 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I'm not certain what exactly you want but

effect_button 'echo' 1 1

will turn the button on,

effect_button 'echo' 1

will toggle the button

And I think using 100/0% will work too

There's lots you can do once you get your head round repeat_start scripts (stuff like beat aware triggering)

Posted Thu 26 May 16 @ 4:17 pm
Good info, locodog!

I'm trying to make one single button which I can use to cut off (mute) a song - and thus make a spontaneous song break - and then, pushing the button again, unmute the song again.

This would be merely a question of muting/unmuting a song, were it not for my little extra ingredient/wish (for smoothing the audio-cut): an echo effect that lingers on a bit when the music has been muted.

Now I need to find a way to turn on the echo effect a second before the muting takes place, so that a last echo of the music can trail off in the distance, making the cut less abrupt... i came up with this: <button action="holding ? effect_active 4 'echo' : effect_button 'echo' 1"> which would require me to hold the button to activate the echo and then push it again to mute.

What I would rather like is: a button that activates the echo effect on the down/push and mutes on the up/release. That way it would be easier to time and also be just one movement (pushing one single button). I know you could somehow do it in VDJ7, but I don't know if that is possible in VDJ8.

Posted Thu 26 May 16 @ 5:15 pm
This seems to work:

<button action="down ? effect_active 1 'echo' : effect_button 'echo' 1">

When you press the button, the echo effect will be activated, and when you release the button, the mute function will be activated. Press again, and the echo will be turned off and the song unmuted...

EDIT: it's a little bit buggy: it works most of the time, but not all of the time: sometimes the echo effect stays on...

Posted Thu 26 May 16 @ 6:35 pm
<button action="down ? effect_active 'echo' on ? effect_active 'echo' off & effect_button 'echo' 1 off : effect_active 'echo' on : effect_active 'echo' on ? effect_button 'echo' 1 on : nothing">

Posted Thu 26 May 16 @ 7:57 pm
And this is a nice "Echo Out" effect (just set the echo param to 1 beat before using)

get_beatpos & param_add 1 & param_cast & set 'EndBeat' & set 'AutoEchoOutFX' 1 & effect_slider 'echo' 1 0.8 & effect_active 'echo' on & repeat_start_instant "AutoEchoOff" 1ms & get_var 'EndBeat' & param_smaller get_beatpos ? effect_active "echo" off & pause & set 'AutoEchoOutFX' 0 & repeat_stop "AutoEchoOff" : nothing

Posted Thu 26 May 16 @ 8:03 pm
Perfect, Phantom! A+
:)

Posted Thu 26 May 16 @ 8:05 pm
lincol2PRO InfinityMember since 2011
PhantomDeejay wrote :
<button action="down ? effect_active 'echo' on ? effect_active 'echo' off & effect_button 'echo' 1 off : effect_active 'echo' on : effect_active 'echo' on ? effect_button 'echo' 1 on : nothing">

Can you please script this to use with POI editor and also include FX Param 1 @ 25% and FX Param 2 @ 1/2 bt.?

Regards.

Posted Mon 06 Jun 16 @ 1:28 pm
In order to use THAT script on POI editor you will have to use 2 POI's... First POI to emulate "down" and second POI to emulate "up":

POI 1: effect_active 'echo' on ? effect_active 'echo' off & effect_button 'echo' 1 off : effect_slider 'echo' 1 25% & effect_slider 'echo' 2 50% & effect_active 'echo' on

POI 2: effect_active 'echo' on ? effect_button 'echo' 1 on : nothing

Posted Mon 06 Jun 16 @ 1:38 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)