Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: NVIDIA Quadro vs. GeForce Graphic Card?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

(Sorry for the typo in the subject line-- I mean graphics CARD, not car!)
I'm considering buying a Dell Precision m4800 laptop (15 inch). That laptop is designed as a professional mobile workstation, and it uses NVIDIA Quadro chips, such as the K1100M and K2100M. I'm wondering whether that kind of video chip would be better, worse, or about as good as a consumer-level GeForce chip (assuming equivalent speed levels) for running VDJ8, especially for video mixing and multitasking. (I'd also like to do some video editing, ideally, but not necessarily.)

Notebookcheck.net says that "The Quadro series offers certified drivers that are optimized for stability and performance in professional applications like CAD and DCC. OpenGL performance, for example, should be significantly better than with GeForce graphic cards of similar specifications."

Is any of that relevant for VDJ8 running audio and video? I don't know how useful superior OpenGL performance is for VDJ8, for example.

The GeForce alternatives would probably be an Alienware 15 or 17 with a GeForce GTX chip of some sort (such as GTX 780m).

Thanks for any guidance,
Doug

Posted Thu 02 Jul 15 @ 12:02 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Superior OpenGL performance means nothing to VDJ (under windows) as it's a DirectX application.

That said, I reckon those Quadros would be fine although I couldn't be certain without testing obviously.

Posted Thu 02 Jul 15 @ 12:15 pm
Thanks for the quick and very helpful answer!

Posted Thu 02 Jul 15 @ 12:40 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)