Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Projection help!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

After Djing with videos for a year now (I know, not long) with a 32" TV and/or connecting to pubs and bars own screens I think the next logical step is to buy a projector and a screen.
Now, I don't know any one else in my area that uses this so I've come to this forum for help. As I'm new to this you can assume I know nothing so please don't get too technical straight away! I'm based in the U.K by the way.

Firstly, the screen.. I've seen prices vary from £40 up to £120 and way beyond. But isn't a screen just a screen? Why would I pay £120 for one when there's another being sold for almost £100 cheaper?
Initially I'll be going for a front projection screen because the rear projection ones seem very pricey (even if they would be ideal).

Obviously the more you pay for a projector the better quality you'll get, but, for instance if I pay £140 for a projector am I simply throwing good money away as they won't anywhere near the quality i'm looking for for projecting my videos/wedding photos etc? Am I just as well paying £60 than £140 because most of the decent quality items are around the £500/£600 mark?

Here's 2 things I'm currently watching but I'm worried they are TOO cheap

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190818594279?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221638315842?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and links to what you would recommend if these will not suffice.
Many thanks.

Posted Fri 05 Jun 15 @ 4:28 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Starting with screens, they are definitely not all the same. How much light they reflect back, how durable they are, how well they can be packed and unpacked, flame resistance. These are all some of the features you will want to research on. I personall have an Odyssey (Scrim Werks) LTMVSCRNLG which is a 16'x6' front or rear projection stretch screen. It is durable and I don't worry about wrinkles that you can get with a folding screen. It packs into a 1'x1' bag.

Projectors are also something that have a lot of options. Resolution (do you want HD, 4:3, 16:9), brightness (lumens, do you need to project in the daylight), and the lens ratio that affects how far your projector needs to be from the screen to achieve the size of the image. My projector, for example, needs to be about 1.5-2 times as far as I want wide. I have to be about 20' to fill my screen.

Posted Fri 05 Jun 15 @ 4:50 pm
Thank you. I like the fact that is front and rear projection although there's none available in the U.K so the import charge increases the price somewhat - I'll hold out for a UK alternative if someone suggests one.

For the projector... I use HD videos downloaded from VJpro & xtendamix so I guess I'm looking for something that can project these (1280p)

I do daytime functions as well as evening gigs so I'll bear that in mind when purchasing a screen..

Posted Fri 05 Jun 15 @ 5:00 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Actually that is a good price for 3,000 lumens which is probably near the minimum of what a dj should be looking at, you can get away with less lumens if the room happens to have little light coming the screens way.

Anyway, with the projector your looking at the only way you can adjust the screen output size is by physically moving the projector away from the screen, which will then maybe make the projector either an obstruction in itself or worse still get knocked over and damaged. There is only an image focus with this unit, no focal length adjust.

You'll probably have to set the projector about nine to ten foot back to get about a 60" screen.

I'd recommend either saving up a bit more or using the one advertised as a rear projection set up giving it less chance of being knocked over and damaged, use spandex for the screen which can be stretched over a frame and doesn't crease when packed away.

Concerning portable screens or even fixed, the difference in price is usually associated with the reflective cyrstals used in these screens, the better the crystals and amount of them on the surface of the screen the better the picture.

Posted Fri 05 Jun 15 @ 5:02 pm
If you get a screen that can do rear projection, think about light sources from behind when you set up. I've been set up for front projection but needed a backdrop behind my screen to keep other light sources from dimming or shining through.

Posted Fri 05 Jun 15 @ 5:04 pm
Just saw your next post, the projector or just about any will have a flip feature to make it rear screen viewable, it sells from the UK, so no need to worry about importing.

Posted Fri 05 Jun 15 @ 5:06 pm

Posted Fri 05 Jun 15 @ 5:11 pm
Thanks Tayla. It's the recommended screen I'm worried about importing (although even with the import cost it seems cheaper than any others I've seen that allows rear view projection)..

Posted Fri 05 Jun 15 @ 5:14 pm
What you mentioned so far I'd advise you to go to a local fabric outlet and get a test purchase of spandex, it comes in two different size widths if i can remember correctly 1.5m and near to 2.0m, it is cut in running lengths of a metre at a time, go for two metres, remember this is only a test purchase as it's so cheap you can buy larger lengths later if needed.

Next look on ebay for an old goal post style lighting rig, usually about 40 quid used and 70 quid new you can pick them up at Maplins if you have one close by.

Now all you need to do is stretch the fabric between the uprights and top and bottom, you'll need to make some sort of pole to stretch across the bottom to get a fix for the spandex, you could use a wash line telescopic pole for this attached by a couple of jubilee clips. You'll be amazed at just how much that spandex will stretch with out tearing as well, the tighter the better for your images coming through it.

Use the large rubber grip clamps you see on markets to grip the material to the pole, don't bother trying to put eyelets into it, it's not worth the bother to be honest.

Posted Fri 05 Jun 15 @ 5:25 pm
Would that work as a rear projector?
And have we established that the £40 screen I linked to is simply not useable?

Posted Fri 05 Jun 15 @ 5:31 pm

Posted Fri 05 Jun 15 @ 5:42 pm
the stiching for the loops and edging could probably be done by a seamstress or someone you know that likes to sew. The issue I find is the flame retardant treatment. The frantic is high quality Lycra spandex if your interested.

The care instructions say it can be machine washed and dried. The flame retardant treatment must be reapplied after washing. So, I would assume it can be done by the average person. I have not researched that tho.

Posted Fri 05 Jun 15 @ 6:16 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)